• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback player- best advice I have found on Trumpetherald

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Comeback player- best advice I have found on Trumpetherald Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thought I should put my 2 cents in on the best advice I have found for the comeback players just joining the forum.

I stopped playing for 20 years. Picked it up for ~6 months when unemployed, could barely play anything at first. Pretty much forgot how to read music. Got back to basic ability (equivalent to middle school years) then got employed, had kids etc.- horn in the case for another 10 years.

Picked it up again- not as bad as after 20 years. Worked on Clarke Technical studies and Arbans to get back finger speed and articulation. Practiced off an on for about a year- back in the case for ~ 5 years.

Picked it up again and again was working on Clarke Technical and a little of Arbans. About 6 months ago found this site and found some very good advice.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145903&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
With the above in mind, here is a photo of the one-page "Reconstructive Embouchure Therapy," by the late Dave Belknap:

http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/1930sRev.pdf
The best advice I got here was from Rusty Russell. He called it his 19/30s exercise.

Worked on these two for about 2 months and have now moved on to Claude Gordon's book- Systematic Approach to Daily trumpet.

Been doing this for ~ a month now. What a difference! Playing higher than I ever did - G over High C. Most importantly the range I used to play in at my best is more powerful and I have better endurance than before!

Just doing this for fun but looking to start playing out.

Cannot believe one of my major problems all along was simply resting as much as practicing. Other Eureka moment was from the 19/30s article- relaxing, playing with breath not lips. I now realize I used to choke up my throat and use to much lip muscles for higher notes.

Wondering where, if anywhere, this will take me but really enjoying playing the horn again!

Peace Out
Marc
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Marc. I'm a bit behind you (three notes to be exact, E F & G ) and this 19/30s warm-up is definitely helping my high notes. I'm more doing it like the Gordon first lesson that he mentioned, heading down into the pedals.

Whats really strange is not only does it help the high notes but if I start to choke 'em up I do the exercise again and then the high notes are back to their good old selves. It also helping me feel the bad tension thats creeping in so I know what I need to get rid of.

.. Good medicine!
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Comeback player- best advice I have found on Trumpethera Reply with quote

StartingUpAgainAt53 wrote:
Hi All,

http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/1930sRev.pdf
The best advice I got here was from Rusty Russell. He called it his 19/30s exercise.

Peace Out
Marc

Indeed, "fleebat" always had insightful posts. I miss his presence. Here's an anecdote:

Several years ago I was watching a horn on eBay go un-bid two cycles in a row. I emailed the seller, who turned out to be Rusty Russell. He lives in Nashville, as does my oldest son, so I asked if I could drive up and try out the horn. Worst case scenario I'd say no, but be in town to take my son out to dinner.

When I arrived at Rusty's house, he had construction guys upstairs doing a lot of work. He apologized that he needed to be up there with them, and left me in the basement with the horn.

I hadn't been noodling around more than 20 minutes when he re-appeared, and said, "Man, I'm listening to you play and I just have to be here and hang out with you." We ended up talking, playing and hanging out for almost two hours. He got to talking a lot about air flow and I can tell you that I received a high quality trumpet lesson for free. It all came to an abrupt end when he said, "Oh, wow, my wife's here, what time is it?"

Heck of a knowledgeable and nice guy, and yes, I bought the horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: