• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music/book organization

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Music/book organization Reply with quote

Any ways of organization for all your trumpet stuff? My method books and music have been collecting on the floor, and since I just inherited dozens of ITG journals and trumpet related texts I am in dire necessity of a way to organize this madness! So I’m wondering what you guys do.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've done was to take a half dozen of my most used method books and had them spiral bound all together. Helps reduce the clutter and keeps the books from falling apart.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Music/book organization Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I’m wondering what you guys do.

It is tough being a 9 x 12 person in an 8.5 x 11 world.

I use priority mail boxes - the price is right, and the size is pretty good.

The flat-rate envelope for sheet collections or books that are fragile.

The medium size box for groups of books - labeled on the outside.

Gary.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep my method books organized, I have a magazine rack like you'd typically see in an office waiting room. It is about waist high, 20.5" wide and has 14 pockets. The top two pockets are deep enough to hold an Arban's. The other pockets are each deep enough to hold two books the size of Clarke, Colin, etc.

I don't recall where on the internet I bought it, but you could find one by going to Bing/Google and searching for "magazine rack" or something similar.

Take care,
Marc Speed
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order by following:

type (method, solos, journal, etc.)
=> alphabetize by author
==> alphabetize by title
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celtics,

We are in the 21st century : quite everything I really need is in my IPAD using Forescore. Even Arban can be found as PDF.
So I am ready everytime everywhere while other people are looking for the scores they forgot at home!
Regards.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My organization has become scanning all of my books and putting them on my iPad Pro and using Forscore. I'm never going back to using paper books!
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly catching up on scanning. It's a bit daunting to do it all at once, but if you just take everything new you get and scan it as it arrives, it becomes more doable.

Some bands I'm in currently just put their charts up on dropbox so you can go grab them and skip paper altogether. One band in particular, everybody in the band has an ipad, so it's really convenient.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utility knife > slice off the binding. Scan documents. Take to Kinko's, Staples, etc. and have re-bound with spiral binding. Put in storage.

Then upload PDFs to Google Drive and access on my tablet. People have favorite apps for iPads, like Forescore or whatever. I have an Android tablet and use Xodo Docs and it works great.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Utility knife > slice off the binding. Scan documents. Take to Kinko's, Staples, etc. and have re-bound with spiral binding. Put in storage.

Then upload PDFs to Google Drive and access on my tablet. People have favorite apps for iPads, like Forescore or whatever. I have an Android tablet and use Xodo Docs and it works great.

So...you literally just cut the binding off?
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
snichols wrote:

So...you literally just cut the binding off?

Yup. This lets me feed the whole book (as loose sheets) through the auto-feeder on a scanner - pages scan perfectly and quickly the first time, instead of trying to lay the book open and position it correctly on the scanning bed. Side benefit is that if I do decide to use the hard copy book again, the spiral binding is better than the original and lets me lay it flat on the stand.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've paid Kinkos or some other copy spot to saw off the binding of my Saint Jacome book then spiral bind it. I suspect that this will be much cleaner than a utility knife. Only caveat here is that the particular copy place cut the book too deep and I lost some of the print. An unconscionable error on their part.

FWIW, I've ceased using a flatbed scanner and now use an iPhone app that makes perfectly acceptable scans with much less fatigue and hassle.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: