• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Purviance 5*K4 - what Bach is it similar to?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Purviance 5*K4 - what Bach is it similar to? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Have a Purviance 5*K4 and wondering which Bach mouthpiece does this compare to?

Thanks,
Marc
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Purviance 5*K4 - what Bach is it similar to? Reply with quote

StartingUpAgainAt53 wrote:
Hi All,

Have a Purviance 5*K4 and wondering which Bach mouthpiece does this compare to?

Thanks,
Marc

My Reeves-Purviance RP8A (which is supposed to be the same as the 5*K4) is very close to my Curry 5C (which is supposed to be the same as the Bach 5C).

The bowl shape is not quite the same; the RP8A seems slightly deeper in the middle than the 5C.

I hope that helps,
Gary.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Purviance 5*K4 is very similar to the Reeves 42C (but a little deeper). As such, it has an inner rim (cup) diameter that is about the same as a Bach 10-1/2C but is shallower than a 10-1/2C (but closer in depth to the 10-1/2C than the 42C is). Its rim though is much wider than a 10-1/2C's rim, so its outer rim diameter is much larger than a that of a 10-1/2C (and is actually as wide on the outside as a 3C).

I don't have a scan of the 5*K4 but I do have a scan of the almost identical Reeves 42C compared to a Bach 10-1/2C:

https://s25.postimg.cc/pnzk5vutr/10.5_C_vs._42_C.jpg
Bach 10-1/2C (red) versus Reeves 42C (green)

I also have a few other scans that will help you become acquainted (visually) with the similarities and differences of the mouthpieces. Note that the 5*K4 and the shallower 4*K4 have identical rim shapes and cup diameters. Here is a scan of the 4*K4 comparing it to a Reeves 42S (so you can see how similar the rim shape and cup diameters are between the *K4 rims and the Reeves 42 rims):

https://s25.postimg.cc/am76n9vpr/Reeves_42_S_red_vs_Purviance_4_Star_K4_green.jpg
Reeves 42S (red) versus Purviance 4*K4 (green)

And here is a scan comparing the Purviance 4*K4 (same as the 5*K4 but shallower) to a Bach 10-1/2C:

https://s25.postimg.cc/60f52v33z/Purviance_4_star_k4_vs._Bach_10.5_C_green.jpg
Purviance 4*K4 (red) versus Bach 10-1/2C (green)

(Click on any of the images to open them full-sized in a separate window.)

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
The Purviance 5*K4 is very similar to the Reeves 42C (but a little deeper). As such, it has an inner rim (cup) diameter that is about the same as a Bach 10-1/2C but is shallower than a 10-1/2C (but closer in depth to the 10-1/2C than the 42C is). Its rim though is much wider than a 10-1/2C's rim, so its outer rim diameter is much larger than a that of a 10-1/2C (and is actually as wide on the outside as a 3C).

I don't have a scan of the 5*K4 but I do have a scan of the almost identical Reeves 42C compared to a Bach 10-1/2C:

https://s25.postimg.cc/pnzk5vutr/10.5_C_vs._42_C.jpg
Bach 10-1/2C (red) versus Reeves 42C (green)

I also have a few other scans that will help you become acquainted (visually) with the similarities and differences of the mouthpieces. Note that the 5*K4 and the shallower 4*K4 have identical rim shapes and cup diameters. Here is a scan of the 4*K4 comparing it to a Reeves 42S (so you can see how similar the rim shape and cup diameters are between the *K4 rims and the Reeves 42 rims):

https://s25.postimg.cc/am76n9vpr/Reeves_42_S_red_vs_Purviance_4_Star_K4_green.jpg
Reeves 42S (red) versus Purviance 4*K4 (green)

And here is a scan comparing the Purviance 4*K4 (same as the 5*K4 but shallower) to a Bach 10-1/2C:

https://s25.postimg.cc/60f52v33z/Purviance_4_star_k4_vs._Bach_10.5_C_green.jpg
Purviance 4*K4 (red) versus Bach 10-1/2C (green)

(Click on any of the images to open them full-sized in a separate window.)

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

The Purviance 8ab and the bach 10 1/2 c have been important mouthpieces in my career over the years but I never before considered that there was a similarity or connection between the two. Today after reading this post I got them out side by side for a comparison and I conclude the Bach 10 1/2 C is definitely a downsize. I think the Reeves 40M or 40C is designed to feel and function like a 10 1/2 C. The bach equivalent of a P8AB between a 5C and 5D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: