• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double Buzz with Braces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horn_is_an_actual_potato

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Double Buzz with Braces Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Just got braces this morning, and I'm playing around with things. I know that braces are effectively an embouchure change, and a lot of you guys have done BE and other stuff to change your embouchure, so you can probably help me with this. I can play a pretty relaxed top staff G/A, above that I'm forcing, but I have this weird double buzz, and I can't really shake it without facial/throat tension. What exercises will help this?

Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds. -Miles Davis
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice I give my students may help, but you are about two weeks behind on the process. What I tel them is:

2 WEEKS before braces. Stop playing and have a holiday. You can buzz a little if you like, but no mouthpiece contact on your face.

2 WEEKS after braces are installed. Continue your holiday. NO PLAYING, just little lip buzzing if you like and art feels OK.

Then, you restart during a lesson. We work out if there is any changes you need to do, how it feels, and explore playing once again.

Usually there is little to no change for the student. They may loose some range, send quality, articulation, but it does come back very fast once they work using air flow, not muscle. 3 of my best elementary players have braces, and no issues at all (which has amazed me, but I did't push the issue side, but the get used to it side).

Spending those 4 weeks doing something other than note bashing was beneficial. Aural work, music theory, listening, rhythm exercises, etc. are all good and no kids ever do enough of them!

My advice would be to NOW have a break and work on getting used to eating with braces and listen to some music. Even if its only a week, and then restart with a knowledgeable teacher assisting.

Hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: