• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range with young students

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were lazy kids who didn't practice in my school; the same thing happened at my parents' school. Kids are kids. Some will love to practice; others will hate to practice.

I don't remember a time where I didn't love to practice. I also remember other kids leaving band class in tears because they weren't practicing. They didn't stick around.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Since where on the "Not In My Back Yard" train,...

I think this may be more apropos.
https://youtu.be/ue7wM0QC5LE
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
jhahntpt wrote:
Billy B wrote:
9th grade is the new 7th grade.

I cannot tell you have painfully accurate this is. Students are so behind where they need to be in my district. I don't even mean in music! There is such a stark difference even from when I was in their position 12-13 years ago. I don't ever expect everyone to be the best student but by the time students get to high school they cannot handle themselves in and out of the classroom and everyone is apathetic towards everything.

No KIDDING. And I think there is a reason: kids today are being raised (in many, but certainly not all cases) to believe that they are entitled to reaping the rewards of hard work without doing the hard work. Show up, put forth little to no effort, get a participation trophy. And God forbid that any kid EVER experiences anything negative or unpleasant, the entitlement mentality dictates that everyone should always feel fulfilled and happy regardless of circumstance. Kids who never experience any of life’s realities become adults unequipped to handle them, and today’s generation is not the first to be raised like this, adults who were raised with these attitudes are now raising their kids in the same manner. It’s been going on for some time now.

I had a student’s well intentioned parent tell me recently that she “begs” her kid to practice. Yep, “BEGS” the kid, I had to bite my tongue. And this was not the first time a parent has told me that they “beg” or “plead” with their kid. Another beginner kid’s mom told me that he is suddenly now intent on making the top band.....after spending most of his entire first year never taking the horn out of the case at home. And of course, she just bought him a brand new Yamaha Xeno. I do understand that my job as a teacher is to motivate students, but there is only so much I can do in thirty minutes per week.

Funny, I don’t remember my parents ever begging me to do or not do anything. Ever.

Until these attitudes change, we are will have a society of unaccomplished, lazy and unhappy people, we are doing a tremendous disservice to a generation of kids.

Soapbox dismount, sorry for derailing the thread.

Brad

Fwiw, letting students progress at their own rate is healthy but do let them know it is important to work towards improving. I have a beginner who played an A just above the staff the other day, and i have some students who still struggle with high C.

I had a student who was in all AP classes and still had extracurriculars. I think there are some kids who are overloaded with stuff, but are in band and lessons because parents want them to. Kids hate it at that point.

However, I've uttered the phrase, "kids these days" too many times for someone who isn't quite 30 yet.
dylanlmeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has struggled with range (and still does to an extent), and taught many young students, range should not be at the forefront of pedagogy. What we do as trumpet players stems from mental confidence (practice) and excellent tone production/breathing. This combination inevitably will lead students to achieve his/her own natural top (and bottom) range.
brendanavila9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range with young students is difficult...
scott.reynolds14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own experience, focusing on basic fundamentals can gradually lead to progress on range, at least better than trying to focus directly on the higher notes. But yeah, there's definitely an element of alchemy to that sort of things, especially with kids..
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
pepperdean wrote:
We don't know enough about this student. Is he being forced to play in the band? Is he lazy? Does he have low self-esteem in general? Does he lack faith that practicing will help?

If you could "trick" him to do some practicing and then point out the improved results, that might be all it takes to spur his motivation.

Alan

In the end the motivation and discipline to succeed must be reinforced by the parents. In today's world most parents think their responsibility ends with transporting and paying for the lesson.

Wow, is this the sad truth. Maybe it was easier for me to motivate my kids to practice because they heard me do it, but really since neither is a trumpet player i just think positive reinforcement and exposing them to music gave them the want and desire to get better at their craft. They are both quite accomplished at their instruments. It's funny, a friend of my young son was given a guitar and lesson's for christmas one year back in high school. He thought it was cool, but that quickly ended because the parents would leave his guitar at the teachers house so they wouldn't have to bring it back and forth to lessons. When i heard that i almost fell off my chair. Motivation can come from the parents and the student, but when neither party is interested its so tough for a teacher to get them excited about learning to play or practice.

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: