• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Silver Vs Prana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Monette Silver Vs Prana Reply with quote

I've read that there is quite a difference, especially if you're a first time user to Monette mouthpieces. However, are the silver one inherently worse than the Prana, being that the Prana is the top tier mouthpiece model?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silvers are kind of an introduction to the standard models... The Prana's are a slightly more extreme and less forgiving version of the standard.

Honestly though, although there's a learning curve, the standards aren't really that extreme - if it's worth it for you to get into that kind of gear at whatever stage of development you're at is another question entirely...
PetTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if one is getting into Monette mouthpieces it might just be better to go straight into Prana?
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Standard, non-Prana, Monette mouthpieces may work best for players who have been on this equipment for years, however the Silver Series mouthpieces provide a very easy transition from conventional mouthpieces (easier than Standard), while simultaneously making the leap to Prana a bit easier. I know a number of Monette players who never got comfortable with Pranas - I remember feeling the transition from Standard to Prana feeling like the transition from conventional mouthpieces to Monettes, way back in the day. That said, I haven't looked back.

There are a number of contributing factors that I could go into detail over: the pitch center of the Silver Series is slightly higher than that of the Standard Monettes, but not as high as Pranas, but this is really just data that can't be as helpful as following the body use tips available here:
https://www.monette.net/single-post/57bcc46d0cf22b29dfb040f0

The old metaphor was that Standards are like driving a limo, and Pranas are like driving a sports car. The subjective descriptions I can give you is that the Standard models were how Dave first went about providing mouthpieces with Constant Pitch Center that players could relax into and then simply play. The way I used to put it is that those original designs help you play down into the richest part of each pitch, while the much higher pitch center of the Pranas can be less forgiving, since their encouragement for playing relaxed, open, and down into the center of the pitch come about through the amazing sound, and ease of the upper register (so long as you're comfortable playing DOWN into the pitch as you ascend). The Silver series are somewhere in between - the sound has some of the richness of Prana, and the transition from non-Monette mouthpieces is practically brainless.

Start with the Silver, then get your hands on a Prana once you feel you're ready to let go of your old playing habits. Additional benefits are that Silver Series mpcs are not key-specific, and they're more affordable as you dial-in which size you want to play - Monettes are easier to play music on than any conventional mouthpiece, so players typically go to a somewhat larger mouthpiece when switching to Monettes, with the added benefits of a bigger sound and more room for the chops.

My $0.02,

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:

There are a number of contributing factors that I could go into detail over: the pitch center of the Silver Series is slightly higher than that of the Standard Monettes, but not as high as Pranas, but this is really just data that can't be as helpful as following the body use tips available here:
https://www.monette.net/single-post/57bcc46d0cf22b29dfb040f0

-DB

This link doesn't seem to work - click "Mouthpieces" on the Monette site, then scroll down to "Acclimation Guide."

Of course, it should go without saying that B.J. Cord is at the shop answering calls and emails all day - no amount of online advice can replace the expertise and superlative customer service of the folks at Monette!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PetTrumpet wrote:
So if one is getting into Monette mouthpieces it might just be better to go straight into Prana?

I don’t necessarily think so, “necessarily” being the important term here. More expensive doesn’t always equal better; I agree with Dan that the Prana series might be better suited to someone already using Monette pieces. Maybe. The problem is it’s a bit difficult to find Monette dealers who offer a trial on Monette stuff, so it can be a pricey gamble. I think that’s a primary reason that you will often see them for sale used; that’s not a reflection on the mouthpieces, but because of the price they’re just too expensive to toss in the drawer if one doesn’t work for you.
I also found the Prana series to work well with a certain horn (LA Benge), but not so much with another. Again, just MY experience.

FWIW, personally I switched from Monette pieces to GR, for me they work a bit better, but YMMV of course.

Brad
PetTrumpet

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Prana goes, I think you will either love it or hate it. I tries the classic twice but just couldn't make friends with it. I had my size nailed down. I saw a Prana in my size here on TH in the marketplace and thought what the heck, I bought it. It was magic from the get go, the safari is over....For now
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to the Classic line and loved it. I "upgraded" to the Prana models about 6 weeks ago. It's been a long process acclimating to them as I tend to be a very physical player but now I'm starting to really gel with it and can see myself really liking the Prana line in no time.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a physical appearance standpoint, the silver series backbore looks much more similar to a Prana backbore than the standard. The 4 I use works well on Bb, C and Eb. In a large room I definitely notice the difference between the 6 and 4silver series. Both are good but the 4 really projects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: