• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Eterna 800 cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Getzen Eterna 800 cornet Reply with quote

I'm loving the old Getzen Eterna LB cornet that I recently bought. In another thread I asked for help identifying it as an 800 model because "800" is not stamped anywhere on the horn.

I think mine is older, but it looks exactly like photos I've seen of other 800s. I like it a lot but it does have some pretty extensive wear and some notes that sound a little different than the rest (not out of tune, but not an even scale). I didn't pay a lot for it.

I was thinking of buying a brand new one, maybe with a copper bell.

1) Has the design changed much, or at all, since the 1960s? It seems like I read that at some point Getzen changed from the mandrels they had been using to trumpet mandrels on the 800 cornet. Has anyone played both new and older versions of the 800 and have any opinion as to whether or not they are as good now as they ever were?

2) What difference would I notice playing a LB Eterna 800 with a copper bell instead of yellow brass? Would plating it with silver change the sound or feel of the horn?

3) Since they seem to be a special order from Getzen, it doesn't appear that I would be able to try one before I ordered. Would that be a correct assumption?
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they actually designate the model number on the instruments? Mine only had ETERNA BY GETZEN stamped on the bell.

Kent
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp,

The difference you'll hear between a yellow brass bell and a copper one, is that you'll hear more higher overtones with the yellow brass. The copper bell will be a more mellow sound and you'll hear more overtones in the medium frequencies.

And yes, I've played both of these horns.

Regarding plating, IMO silver plate makes a horn sound slightly brighter versus a lacquered horn. Some people will disagree saying that there is no difference. But that has not been my experience.

Hope this helps.

-Dave
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!

My reason for wanting to put silver plating on the copper bell is to give it a little extra strength so that it won't dent as easily. Copper is very easy to damage.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of silver plating, less than 0.001" thick, giving more strength to anything. I don't think this is possible. The copper, depending on any alloy, thickness and the amount it has been worked, will not necessarily be much softer than brass.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't help at all... Silver is a soft metal and the plating is very thin anyway, there's no structural advantage whatsoever - where it can help is that it's easier to cover up repairs on silver plated horns (a quick brush plate will hide it quite well, lacquer touch-ups are often less convincing).

As already mentioned, you may sense less high overtones with the copper, but I'd ask yourself whether you really want or need that difference or whether it's simply a fancy...
I'd also mention that, personally, I tend to find yellow brass a bit more responsive than red or copper, which maybe worth factoring in.

There's plenty of YMMV to go around here, to be sure... And buying anything sight-unseen carries a degree of risk, especially when returns are off the table.

If you can access a shop selling a new example of the standard model and you like it, then the peace of mind of knowing exactly what you're getting for your money would sway me, personally.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard, but cannot verify, that Getzen uses a different bell mandrel for the 800 cornet now, and that the old Eterna bell (like you have) is on the 3850. It would be worth checking.

Edited to add: The design of the large bore Eternas also changed during the time your horn was made. The earliest LB horns were .468, this was changed sometime in the late 60s to .464. I have had both and they do play differently. You can measure the top tube of the main tuning slide to determine which bore size you have.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:
I have heard, but cannot verify, that Getzen uses a different bell mandrel for the 800 cornet now, and that the old Eterna bell (like you have) is on the 3850. It would be worth checking.

Edited to add: The design of the large bore Eternas also changed during the time your horn was made. The earliest LB horns were .468, this was changed sometime in the late 60s to .464. I have had both and they do play differently. You can measure the top tube of the main tuning slide to determine which bore size you have.

Wow, I better hang on to this one. I wonder why they made the change? It's the free-blowing feeling that I like the most about this horn.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Getzen 800 cornet Reply with quote

I played one in college as the symphonic band used them, so it was supplied. That was starting in 1968. The little bit of history I found on it says they did a design that started around 1962-3. I have seen more recent ones and they look the same. I loved the instrument and quickly put down my Conn 36b except for once in a while at a lesson. Wonderful fun to play. The ones we played were all yellow brass. I found technical stuff and learning technical passages was easier on the cornet. I have one on my bucket list, and they appear to hold value well as the asking prices are still high enough. There is nothing like Getzen valves.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Getzen 800 cornet Reply with quote

If you haven't yet, Email Getzen with all your info. I have found them very cordial and always wanting to help. I think I mentioned to you to look up Ole' Edvard Antonsen, from Norway, playing Napoli on YouTube on an old Getzen eterna. I loved my Benge 5 trumpet, but the Eterna was just great fun to play and be challenged on.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Getzen Eterna cornet Reply with quote

Won a bid on a 1989 Getzen Eterna cornet on ebay which I received yesterday. No model number has Eterna by Getzen stamped on the bell.

Very impressed with the condition of the cornet. Works well with a Getzen 5 C and Bach 2 mouthpieces.

Vast improvement over the intermediate and student Getzen models I previously played.

Since I started playing, first time I am satisified with my both my trumpet and cornet. Also progressing this year with a new teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: