• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unsettled

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Unsettled Reply with quote

I received unsettling news today, the sharing of which might be beneficial for some. A 63 year year old colleague of mine died this morning completely unexpectedly. He was happily at work yesterday (he enjoyed his work) and this morning he was gone. His family is shattered and his coworkers shocked and saddened.

A couple weeks ago he was in my office. We talked about work concerns that touched both of us and then moved on to family, especially grandchildren, hobbies, and retirement plans; I am retiring this summer and my friend was just a little envious. As usual, I was quite busy, which he sensed, and we concluded our conversation.

My friend was a genuinely nice man. I valued his friendship and appreciated his professionalism. I hope I managed to convey that in the time we spent together. I am thankful that our last moments together were pleasant ones...

Jim
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my best friend of 58 years the first Saturday in March. He had been battling lymphoma and everything was going well. Two days before he died he texted me that he was at Yale for chemo. I texted back and told him I would call him that evening or the next day. Something came up and I forgot to call. I didn't think anything of it. He usually slept the next few days after his chemo treatment. Saturday afternoon his older son (my godson) called to tell me he had died in his sleep. Naturally I felt guilty but as time has passed that has subsided. Since I retired we had spent more time together. I would go with him for chemo or just hang out. Those are the things that matter more than a forgotten phone call.
I'm sure your friend from work appreciated the time you spent together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: