• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing because of folks at work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Playing because of folks at work? Reply with quote

I know there are myriad reasons why people pick up the horn again after many years, but I was doing some research a while back on workplaces that encourage employees to play music at the worksite, and wondered if anybody here got back in the saddle because there was a band at work that needed a trumpet player?

Or, if you were already on the comeback trail, did a company band give you an outlet other than the usual community/church route?
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to retire from the community college where I am a full-time program chair and associate professor. We do not have a college band at this time, but I am confident my organization would be supportive if I proposed one. Perhaps, once retired, I will do so.

Jim
kfeldt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in two bands at work. One turned into a pretty much full blown big band. My company supported it in that they let us use some empty areas as practice space after work, and gave us a little money for music stands, music, etc. We ended up playing at quite a few company functions: Christmas party, summer BBQ, etc.

I switched jobs (same company though) and am playing with a different group now. Basically no company support. We just play outside once a week when the weather is nice. Pretty much just an odd collection of instruments (mostly guitars). I don't think many of the guys can read music, so we just "jam". Not my favorite way to play, but it's developed some different aspects of my musicianship, and it's fun.

Keith
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently interviewed the CIO's of two software development labs who are recruiting heavily through apprenticeship programs instead of 4-year comp sci or engineering departments. Both independently said they find the new hires who turn out to be the best programmers play instruments.

My Dad worked for IBM back in the day of Big Blue's cradle-to-grave security...they had an immense amount of sanctioned musical outlets. Definitely not six guys jamming Midnight Hour:

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/music/music_CH1.html
MusicByThePound

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story I heard about why IBM had so many musicians and bands was that in the early days there was no such thing as a computer science degree so IBM raided Music schools for potential programmers.

They recognized that the skills learned in playing an instrument and following a score, beat by beat, in sync with other musicians in a band or orchestra translated to the skills used in computer programming where a task is completed incrementally, command by command.

Both also require a lot of abstract thinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: