• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Resources for Learning Basic Music Theory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig S

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Resources for Learning Basic Music Theory Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player after nearly two decades, and I want to learn some basic music theory (different types of scales, harmonies, instrument keys, transcribing into different keys, etc.). I was wondering if there were any good resources for this type of self-teaching? I would probably be more inclined toward books (maybe not a "Music Theory for Dummies"--not that that would be out of the question ), but online would be great, as well. Thanks in advance!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your ear? For that, I use Ear Master.
For theory, there are pdf's available for downloading on the net.See you PM.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Craig S

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!!

Umm. My ear...is..."out of practice," to say it in a nice way...

Of course, it was never that great to begin with. I had friends in high school who could figure out popular songs just by listening to the radio. I had--and still do--to have it written down in a sheet of music. I do better hearing a rhythm before trying to play it, and I can usually hear when I'm off key from someone I'm playing with, but that's about the extent of my ear at this point.
willieplas

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(For theory, there are pdf's available for downloading on the net.See you PM.)

Is it possible to share that link with me?

In same boat...

Thank you!
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place to start is minor key blues scales. A good chunck of rock n roll was built on these.

https://cantonhighband.weebly.com/uploads/1/7/5/1/17513401/blues-scales-trumpet.pdf

The trick to absorbing the theory part is to think of each note as a number rather than having to rely on reading it: for these scales, it's 1-3b-4-4#-5-7b-8 (C-Eb-F-F#-G-Bb-C in key of C). It translates in every key, and you can construct a basic blues song by putting together patterns from the I blues scale (in this case C), the IV blues scale (in this case F) and the V blues scale (G). A very recognizable riff goes 1-3b-4-1 (C-Eb-F-C in the I scale).

Like you, I never got any theory at all through HS, and likened the experience to being taught to read text by simply reading each letter without ever being told why they worked together. The above example is what opened the lock to theory and being able to play without having music in front of me for me. You may find something else that does it, but in the meantime it's cool to make your horn sound like you play with Muddy Waters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: