• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton’s cadenzas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Wynton’s cadenzas Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get the sheet music if Wynton’s cadenzas in Fantaisie Brillante?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Et-px08aiU
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that one or two of Wynton's cadenza's have slight variations from the book to the recording, but can't remember exactly.

https://www.amazon.com/Carnaval-Cornet-Donald-Hunsberger-Library/dp/073908318X/httpwwwwynton-20
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His cadenzas are actually 30+ seconds compared to the few measure cadenzas in the Arban book. Due to their length and speed it’s be a pain to try and learn it by ear.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:
I seem to recall that one or two of Wynton's cadenza's have slight variations from the book to the recording, but can't remember exactly.

https://www.amazon.com/Carnaval-Cornet-Donald-Hunsberger-Library/dp/073908318X/httpwwwwynton-20

I have this. All the cadenzas are there. There are some very slight differences between the book and the recording on some of them - so slight it's easy to figure them out.

If you want the cadenzas, I recommend getting this book.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the reviews I’m not so sure—looks like some people did not get the solo part. It’s also pretty expensive and I’d love a cheaper alternative if possible.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
His cadenzas are actually 30+ seconds compared to the few measure cadenzas in the Arban book. Due to their length and speed it’s be a pain to try and learn it by ear.

At the risk of sounding like an "in my day, we walked thirty miles in the snow, uphill both ways, just to get to the only Arban's book in the region" lecture, I'd respectfully offer the following: whether you are interested in classical playing, jazz, or something else entirely, ear training skills are part of being a complete and well-rounded musician. It's not necessary to be great at transcribing to be a good musician, but it sure doesn't hurt. Reading through your past posts, you're an ambitious high school player, which is great. When I was in high school (not that long ago, but before easy access to things like this on the internet), I would have been delighted to have access to digital slowing down apps that make transcribing almost criminally easy compared to what it was.

If you find written materials for this aren't as accurate as you want, and too expensive, not only would transcribing it probably be a healthy experience for your overall musical development, it would almost certainly help your preparation of the piece. As cadenzas go, this is pretty accessible for transcribing - mostly scales and arpeggios up and down. This is very doable.
Larry Larson

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with my colleague Steve A (Hi, Steve!).

I remember waaaay back when his Haydn/Hummel CD came out in 1983, I was fresh out of university and took the time and put pencil to paper to transcribe his Haydn cadenza. Like with the transcriptions I do of jazz trumpet solos, you learn so much more by the act of listening and doing the work yourself. And I wish I had the Amazing Slow Downer app "back in MY day!" Wynton's Haydn cadenza, along with that of the late great Bud Herseth, are two of my absolute favourite transcriptions in my collection.

Try it! You'l love it!
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Steve A"]
CJceltics33 wrote:

At the risk of sounding like an "in my day, we walked thirty miles in the snow, uphill both ways, just to get to the only Arban's book in the region" lecture, I'd respectfully offer the following: whether you are interested in classical playing, jazz, or something else entirely, ear training skills are part of being a complete and well-rounded musician. It's not necessary to be great at transcribing to be a good musician, but it sure doesn't hurt. Reading through your past posts, you're an ambitious high school player, which is great. When I was in high school (not that long ago, but before easy access to things like this on the internet), I would have been delighted to have access to digital slowing down apps that make transcribing almost criminally easy compared to what it was.

Thank you for this! It was a bit of a wake up call. I put the pencil to the paper and in about 45 minutes I have the entirety of the first cadenza done! Will work on the second one tomorrow. Thanks again!
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

Thank you for this! It was a bit of a wake up call. I put the pencil to the paper and in about 45 minutes I have the entirety of the first cadenza done! Will work on the second one tomorrow. Thanks again!

Good work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: