• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help with Calicchio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Help with Calicchio Reply with quote

This story is longer than probably necessary. If you want to skip the details, I just need a new Calicchio r3 bell in any finish.

Here’s the story:
I own a Calicchio r3/7 that I enjoy very much. It’s an excellent horn. The only issue is that about two years ago a colleague noticed a crack in the bell seam. Then I noticed a second crack. Local repair techs didn’t want to try to fix it and told me I needed a new bell. Since this trumpet has never had any major work done to it I contacted John Duda to see if the bell would be covered under their “Limited Lifetime Warranty.” Also, it seems rare to have this kind of problem where the bell is basically coming apart on its own. I was expecting an uphill battle but Mr. Duda was very responsive and said it was covered and that he could make me a new bell but it would take him about a month because he had to get the material. I was more than happy with that response. I didn’t bug him until over a month later when I gently asked for an update. When I didn’t hear back I didn’t want to pester him since I knew he was doing it under warranty. I tried to check in every few weeks for the next few months but didn’t hear back until over six months later when he said he was almost done. In several prior emails I explained my anxiety about gigging with a cracked bell and offered whatever was needed to move the process along including an offer to pay for the bell. Since then I’ve heard nothing but crickets. I’ve wanted to experiment with different leadpipes and I wanted to buy a set of standard weight bottom caps as well because the horn came with heavy but I just can’t get a response.

It’s now been 18 months.

What can I do? Anything?
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a repair person who will patch the cracks. It's been done thousands of times before and in my recent experience, the horn might even play better patched.
My 2p.
https://yourbrass.com/
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the recent posts looking for Calicchio bells on the marketplace, I guess I'm not the only one having trouble. What the heck, John?
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took almost THREE YEARS! BUT, I finally have my replacement bell! I'm super excited to get this horn sorted.

Thanks to Mr. John Duda for honoring his warranty. I can only hope that anyone who has issues with their Calicchio will eventually get them taken care of.

Best wishes to Mr. Duda and the rest of the crew in Kansas City!
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having problems with my new to me 1SZ/2. I had the rotted leadpipe replaced by a tech who claimed the a Bach pipe would work. The horn was very squirrelly and hard to control blow. I have used Mike Paulson in Seattle in the past to successfully sort out a Bacb 72*. He is extremely familiar with Calichio horns having owned ten. He discovered that the Amado water keys had been damaged and leaked and the third valve slide was rotten and the leadpipe wasn't right. He sorted all the problems and remanufactured the 3rd valve slide with original parts.The horn came back playing like a dream. I can't recommend his service more highly.
Dr.Brass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know, John Duda do not work anymore from several month ago. He is located in Kansas City, Mo..working for Mike Corrigan/BAC Trumpets.
Difficult he will can make any Calicchio bell right now.
I been mounting several Calicchio with spare parts from John Duda's workshop. As trumpet technician, not first time I need to repair a Crack on bell, not only in Calicchio Horns...in many other brands. Unfortunately I only have one 1S standard bell for sell, not R3...Different one. Don't know anybody who keep any 3 bell for sale. If I find someone I will go for him and buy that 3 for my self.
I know some guy who also have some Calicchio Bell for sale...all them 1S, not one like your. But if you really like repair that bell, please send me detailed pics from cracks and I will make a proper Diagnosis.
my Email: dr.brass@gmail.com
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought parts from Mr. Duda over the years for my repair work.
I checked with him and he confirmed that he is working for BAC and that Calicchio parts can be made. I have no idea what the time line would be, but I'm very glad they can be gotten at all.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: