• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trouble with playing while marching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marching bands most likely provide the largest collective audience worldwide for wind band music. I'm not inclined to neglect that opportunity.
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't seem to hurt Chris Martin too muck

Look into his background and who hid dad is.

The activity has changed so much in the last 15 years. Many great teachers doing really great things
GTDon501

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree if you are going pro, don't march. For the other 99.9% of us (let's be realistic here), marching band and drum corps are tremendous opportunities to develop musical skills, self esteem, life long friends, and great memories. Life enriching. Not for everyone, to be sure. If you can't stand hard physical work, don't do it. There is a strong element of team athleticism and competition.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTDon501 wrote:
I agree if you are going pro, don't march.

I disagree. Many (most?) of the players I've worked with marched at some level - high school, college, and/or DCI. My freshman year, my trumpet professor encouraged all of us to march our first year. I ignored his advice and I think I missed out. If you're smart about it, I don't see how it can do anything but help your playing. There are too many great players who spent time marching.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with playing while marching? Reply with quote

dsimmons242 wrote:
Hey, I’m going to be playing in a marching band for the first time and while trying to practice walking while I play, I’ve noticed that my notes quiver and struggle dramatically, is there any excercised I can can do to help this?

Don't overthink it. Just do it. You're not all going to "quiver" at the same time. Everybody's sounds will blend together.

I did it in college and the Army, wasn't into it, but wasn't humping an M16 in Viet Nam. That was a good thing.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:

I also had many doublers...clarinet/flute players that enjoyed playing trumpet, euphonium, mellophone, percussion, etc. in marching band.

These were young people that enjoyed the challenge.

Good post!

I've yet to see too many woodwinds double on brass. But I've been surprised to learn that at my son's high school there are quite a few string players who double on the drum line.

My last year in high school I had band classes most every period. But at that time the orchestra had no winds so I picked up viola. That was a hoot, except for the evil clef.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Good post!

I've yet to see too many woodwinds double on brass. But I've been surprised to learn that at my son's high school there are quite a few string players who double on the drum line.

My last year in high school I had band classes most every period. But at that time the orchestra had no winds so I picked up viola. That was a hoot, except for the evil clef.

Yeah, us sax players are all lead trumpet players in disguise! I learned brass initially for marching band and drum corps, and now do just as many gigs on brass as I do on my saxophones. I'm just as comfortable on either horn as well, doesn't matter if it's lead work orchestral, or big band.

I had a great time marching. Only caveat was that I did pick up a few bad habits that my teacher helped me fix later on, but I definitely enjoyed marching trumpet more than sax.

Yeah, I did that!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BD wrote:
Yeah, us sax players are all lead trumpet players in disguise! I learned brass initially for marching band and drum corps, and now do just as many gigs on brass as I do on my saxophones. I'm just as comfortable on either horn as well, doesn't matter if it's lead work orchestral, or big band.

I know one guy who is a monster sax player who decided to pick up trumpet just to help him in the writing/arranging department. Within a couple months he could play tunes by Chicago. Mind boggling talent. One of the few musical geniuses I've ever met.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
THE BD wrote:

I know one guy who is a monster sax player who decided to pick up trumpet just to help him in the writing/arranging department. Within a couple months he could play tunes by Chicago. Mind boggling talent. One of the few musical geniuses I've ever met.

That's awesome, I love having that versatility. And I agree, being a better player of both affected how I write in a good way.

I do like messing with the crowd in my street band though, going from lead on one tune to bass sax on the next!

Yeah, I did that!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
I know several brass players that came up in marching band and drum corps. A few went through my school band programs, and a couple that actually became professional players.

Alan Chez, Adam Rapa......

Hey, I understand that there are marching bands and drum corps that simply do the “higher, faster, louder” stuff, but there are also those that take a saner, more musical approach, and DON’T destroy kids’ chops.

Brad
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
boog wrote:
I know several brass players that came up in marching band and drum corps. A few went through my school band programs, and a couple that actually became professional players.

Alan Chez, Adam Rapa......

Hey, I understand that there are marching bands and drum corps that simply do the “higher, faster, louder” stuff, but there are also those that take a saner, more musical approach, and DON’T destroy kids’ chops.

Brad

There's an interview where Al Chez specifically credits drum corps with building his chops.

I marched 2 years with him, he was a beast.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
There's an interview where Al Chez specifically credits drum corps with building his chops.

If you're someone whose chops are solid and functional to begin with, doing a lot of blowing loud and high is going to build you, at least in blowing loud and high. If you're someone like me who had problems, it's not going to do a thing for you.

Brad361 wrote:
Hey, I understand that there are marching bands and drum corps that simply do the “higher, faster, louder” stuff,

As if there's any drum corps that isn't about that?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: