• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Microphone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetmiles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Which Microphone? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Firstly, this is a great forum and I've been reading it for years but only recently got a profile.

I don't play through mics very often as most venues I play in don't need it. However I am recording myself as part of my final year at university and wondered what mics people preferred.

I have had the usual SM57's used on stage and would happily use one in the studio. But in the last mic'd gig I did the pro sound guy used a Beyerdynamic mic (I think M201) and I actually really liked how I sounded through it.

So what are your thoughts on mics and what recording settings do you like (eq, reverb etc.)?

Thanks in advance
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like using a clip on mic so that I don’t have to worry about being on mic in addition to everything else. Especially in a band where communication is often visual head nods etc, clip ons allow you to look around without changing the angle to the mic. I have an AKG C519.

As for sound settings, totally depends on the recording or gig. I haven’t done much personal or solo recording so typically I just leave it up to the sound guy. If I were recording solo work, I’d probably want to spend more time experimenting there.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 'clip on' mics seem to really pick up valve block noise and amplify it. Any consensus on which are good/bad for that sort of thing?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which Microphone? Reply with quote

trumpetmiles wrote:
I have had the usual SM57's used on stage and would happily use one in the studio. But in the last mic'd gig I did the pro sound guy used a Beyerdynamic mic (I think M201) and I actually really liked how I sounded through it.

Interesting, I think we use those for a drum kit setup in one band I play in. Might have to give it a try with a trumpet to see how it sounds.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Some 'clip on' mics seem to really pick up valve block noise and amplify it. Any consensus on which are good/bad for that sort of thing?

The AMT mic I use has significant shock reduction designed in and doesn't seem to suffer from valve noise.

https://appliedmicrophoneshop.com/products/q7-p800

Note that they make both wired and wireless solutions. And the particular one I have is long obsolete, though the shock mount remains similar.

And as much as I like it for live performance, it's my impression that there are better solutions for recording.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: