• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pulling flugel leadpipe vs. trumpet tuning slide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Pulling flugel leadpipe vs. trumpet tuning slide Reply with quote

Hello,

We usually tune most Bb trumpets by pulling the tuning slide at around 0.5 inches, depending on the player/mouthpiece/horn combination.

But, is there a consensus regarding pulling a flugel leadpipe?

I play an old 635ST Yamaha flugelhorn and it seems to play in tune* when I pull the leadpipe at around 1 inch. I've been using the correct mouthpiece shank since the day I bought it.

Should most flugels be played with the leadpipe pushed in and set just as far as the trumpet tuning slide usually goes? Or, with flugels this does vary more than with a trumpet?

Thank you!

nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you pull a trumpet tuning slide you're extending two tubes -- the top and bottom legs of the U-shaped tuning slide. When you pull the leadpipe out on a flugelhorn you're only extending one tube -- so it takes twice as much pull to lower the pitch the same amount.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
When you pull a trumpet tuning slide you're extending two tubes -- the top and bottom legs of the U-shaped tuning slide. When you pull the leadpipe out on a flugelhorn you're only extending one tube -- so it takes twice as much pull to lower the pitch the same amount.

Interesting! This makes sense.
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: