• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

IIIA Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: IIIA Questions Reply with quote

I am new to Reinhardt and that being said I have been messing around with this new stuff I got from my lesson with Kenny Smukal. We figured out I need to pivot my horn up towards my 11 o'clock and as I was taking some video today it FELT like I was pivoting up but it doesn't look like it at all. The results are there as I can ascend and slot up to the double C over and over throughout the day. I can also come in on the double C now. I feel a less pronounced downward pivot as I ascend but don't really SEE an upward pivot like we had discussed. I do see a upward pivot as I descend though. What do I do with this? Do I continue to try to actually bring the horn up? Was this a goal to just try and not bring the horn down as much as I was or do I really need to bring it up more? This is just a practice room vid to demonstrate what I am asking about. Thanks for the help.

Anyone know a Reinhardt teacher in San Diego/SOCAL?

Link
Trumpet1Ohio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a lllA . The way I was taught to pivot is to think of my lips and mouthpiece to move up and down as one. I don't angle up or down, at least I am aware of. Would be interested if other players pivot the same way and how they were taught.

LA Benge 3X+
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know . . . looks clearly like a IIIA pivot to me.

Personally speaking, the pivot is more of a feel thing for me than a visual moving of the bell.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did Smukal say about that tongue way out of your mouth during your initial mouthcorner inhalation?

My guess is that if you followed the procedure in Doc's Thirty-Fiive Basic Points of the Pivot System you'll find that you're depriving yourself of 20 or 30% of your potential by setting up the way you are.

You're probably holding yourself back some just with that alone, but if you have access to Kenny you might want to double check with him on that. I would think something that fundamental might be of a higher priority than perfecting your pivot at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: