• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Started another comeback and need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llangston1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Started another comeback and need advice Reply with quote

have started my second comeback in 2 years and need some advice. restarted playing in 2016 after a 46 yr layoff and even took a few lessons and was progressing until knee surgery halted that comeback (music room upstairs and could not get up there). Now I have restarted again and this time I finally found a local community concert band to join. I have practiced with them for a few weeks now and during my discussions with a fellow trumpeter he suggested I go find a inexpensive 3C mouthpiece and try that instead of the Schilke 12 I have had ever since I got my horn. Not sure why I got the 12 versus some other mouthpiece. I figured I would take his advice so I am asking for recommendations for a decent used or cheap new 3C mouthpiece. Will any cheap generic 3CMP be OK?

Also I need some advice on some good ear plugs. I already have some tinnitus and my ears really ring after band or even my own personal practice. During band practice I need to be able to hear the conductor and my band mates and my self a little so I can try to play the correct notes. How do forum member rate and rank the Entymotic, Eargasm , Alpine and other attenuating type of ear plugs?

Last I would like advice on portable music stands. How do forum members like the Peak or Desca fold up type of stands. Does the plastic and hinges hold up during repeated use? We generally use Manhassett stands at our main civic center hall except when we have to move our practice sessions and then each member has to bring their own stand. Those folding wire stands just will not work with all our music.

Any advice is much appreciated.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the music stand you need -- durable, portable. Mine has lasted several years now with no sign of wearing out.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/k-m-k-m-101-music-stand-black.html

I moved to a Denis Wick 3c. mouthpiece a few years ago and am very happy with it. Did the whole mouthpiece safari and was playing on some older Marcinkiewicz pieces prior to that. I enjoyed the feel of those but the Wick seemed to open up the horn better for me.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Cheap or Generic Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I normally do not recommend Amazon for musical instrument accessories. However, they sell no-name or generic trumpet mouthpieces for $13 or so:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BPP3VVI/ref=twister_B01BPP3W0I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BuzzRite has all the popular (Vincent Bach) sizes for $25, available through MouthpieceExpress:

http://www.buzzrite.com/
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

Are you having trouble with your Schilke 12 mouthpiece? You know how the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'd also be wary of cheap mouthpieces. Some are fine (like Blessing, for instance), but others aren't. I'd stick with what you have unless you have a solid reason for changing, then get a good, quality piece.

I liked my Peak stand. It worked well for several years, but then the plastic collar lost its grip and wouldn't hold the stand in the raised position anymore. So now I'm back to using a Manhasset Voyager music stand. Not as compact as the Peak for carrying, but it works great once I get there.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: