• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Earplugs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bsully wrote:
...just wondering if there is another benefit to the overall quality of the sound...

The sound is absolutely better. Look at this diagram to understand how dramatically different the frequency's are affected compared to foam plugs:

ETY Plugs (normal 15db plugs:

This is how the MusicPRO electronic earplugs affect things:

~A
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
This is because the small muscle that tighten's the ear's sound-dampening diaphragm works very slowly (sort of like your eye's adjustment to darkness).

Slowly? The stapedius reflex typically has an onset latency of between about 25 ms (for very loud sounds) and about 250 ms (for threshold-level sounds). The decay of the stapedius reflex can be as long as 5-10 seconds, but the onset is typically much less than a quarter of a second.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Slowly? The stapedius reflex typically has an onset latency of between about 25 ms (for very loud sounds) and about 250 ms (for threshold-level sounds).

As I understand it, this is true through to 90-100db depending on the person. Response past that takes significantly longer, and is still not particularly effective. Which is where the idea of popping plugs out just in time to play comes in as a bad idea, especially if there will be burst of extreme sound from percussion, speakers, or trombones.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that we should NOT wear earplugs in favor of "open hearing". My point is that we need to wear earplugs in any situation that goes above dangerous levels. Our ears have never really developed to stop noise beyond 100db anyway, which is why we should invest in hearing protection that can be worn consistently in any situation that goes above this level.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the experimental results I've seen, the stapedius reflex has a substantially faster onset with a louder stimulus. But the amount of attenuation maxes out at about 20 dB, so it doesn't provide the level of protection that foam plugs provide.

Schlomo Silman's book on the subject is full of information.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Nirman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
I like the Etymotic Research ER20 ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs - TOP 5 Best Earplugs for Sleeping

https://happysleepyhead.com/best-earplugs-for-sleeping/

Very affordable and work fine for me.

+1! Still like Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs very comfortable "sit" in the ears
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:

Even modestly priced hearing aids cost $3000/pair and few insurance plans cover them. My hearing loss is due primarily to heredity but I sure wish I had used earplugs while mowing grass as a kid.

Kent

I'll second that. Lawn mowing and snow blowing took their toll on me. These days, I wear shooter's headphones when operating loud equipment -- and when playing the trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: