• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Looking for Advice Reply with quote

Here I am up early on a rainy Sunday thinking the gig my 6-piece trad group will be playing Thursday night for an audience of knowledgeable jazz fans.

What concerns me is we will be playing with two subs. Fortunately, they're very experienced, capable musicians but, still, the challenge of keeping the train on the tracks has me a little worried.

We'll be working with lead sheets from the Real Jazz Dixieland Book. The band has had the set list for several weeks. And our regulars, minus the subs, have been playing the ink and soloing well.

What I'm most worried about is the fact that the venue will be dark and noisy. So what's the best way to make sure there is no miscommunication regarding the two issues that, my experience, can lead to confusion/uncertainty: who's soloing when and when to take/or not take repeats?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What instruments are the subs playing? Are they critical or just supportive in your approach?

I know a guy who tours constantly. A different gig every night in a different city. He tells me that he's lucky to get to talk to the other musicians at the sound check. So the bass, drums and keyboard may have never played with him before and they just work it out. I've seen him many times and amazingly enough, they always work it out and sound good.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Richard - good question.

One of the subs is on bass, the other bone. Both are very good. The bone player was in one of the North Texas State bands, the One O'Clock, I believe.

The bass player also has a good background. I've played with him in other bands and is excellent.

Still, as I noted, there are so many ways the train can derail....

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have any worries. The bass player should know what to do with just about anything that comes along. The bone player, if he is experienced with trad jazz should also be able to handle it all. The only thing to work out is letting the bone player know when you want him to solo. These guys will be looking for cues from you anyway. Nothing to worry about.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Richard!

Another question: our rehearsals have left me with the feeling that some trad tunes get repetitious and lengthy if you play all the repeats and everyone solos for 24 bars over blues or 32 bars on standards.

Anything wrong with skipping the repeats and at asking the soloists to split 32 bars so you end up four soloists covering 64 bars before the ensemble out?

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a plan to me. Skipping repeats almost never seems to hurt the flow of the chart, unless it is a D.S. al Coda or some such, although on last Fall's concert, we did cut some of the original out of the D.S. to give the trumpet section a break! (Coconut Champagne). It is rare that we play a chart from top to bottom as written, it just depends on the composition. That is why they invented pencils!

As for dividing up a solo, I personally start to run out of fresh ideas about 16 bars into the solo, so I don't mind passing the phrase on to another. I have guys (and gals) in my band that can go on and on without getting repetitious, however, in most semi pro and amateur groups, these kinds of jazzers are rare!

My group varies from 16-22 folks, so perhaps we are more flexible than a small ensemble? Or not..
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave! Glad to hear you think my plan has a chance. I think one of the things that puts audiences off is tunes that last too long and soloists who drone on forever. As a result I’ve come to believe that simple is good, shorter is better, and less is more.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Thanks, Richard!

Another question: our rehearsals have left me with the feeling that some trad tunes get repetitious and lengthy if you play all the repeats and everyone solos for 24 bars over blues or 32 bars on standards.

Anything wrong with skipping the repeats and at asking the soloists to split 32 bars so you end up four soloists covering 64 bars before the ensemble out?

When we are in the groove, we do take offs on what the other player is doing. In other words, take the lick they just did and improvise on that, then take it back again and rework it even more. Two players playing off each other is pure bliss. Then mold some harmony and take it back to the original to bring the melody back to finish the tune. So many ideas come up. I'm getting bored with the standard tune list and I'm thinking some original tunes may be in order.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:

Giving everyone full choruses on every tune (on tunes that might not be worthy of eight-minute renditions) might be thought to border on amateurism at best or misdirected art-at-the-expense-of-entertainment at worst. Perform with the ears of the middle of your audience in mind for most of the gig.

Regarding subs – if you hired the right people, you shouldn’t have to worry. If you haven’t hired the right people, it’s on you. Any bass player should be able to keep things going – even hurtling toward a train wreck – and then someone (you) can interject enough melody to keep the train on the tracks.

The only obvious and painful wreck that I’ve seen involved a well-known, European Dixie player with a terrific pick-up band of Americans. The artist gestured three fingers UP and the band went to three sharps while the artist went to three flats. It took more than a few bars to get that straightened out!! The (unsatisfactory) explanation by the artist after the fact was that “Dixieland is never played in sharp keys” so a finger call in any direction would indicate flats.

-Denny
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice - thanks!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
The only obvious and painful wreck that I’ve seen involved a well-known, European Dixie player with a terrific pick-up band of Americans. The artist gestured three fingers UP and the band went to three sharps while the artist went to three flats. It took more than a few bars to get that straightened out!! The (unsatisfactory) explanation by the artist after the fact was that “Dixieland is never played in sharp keys” so a finger call in any direction would indicate flats.

Yikes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: