• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback player and Beginner Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drteeth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Comeback player and Beginner Issues Reply with quote

Hey all! I haven't played seriously in about 9 years. I am trying to comeback and eventually start playing with a community jazz band when I get things back under control.

However, I don't quite remember things being this unstable when I was a beginner. I am having issues maintaining buzzing. Sometimes I will be in the middle of a piece and just whiff a note. Like a C (middle C first line under staff). Sometimes I just get air. If I reset my embouchure then it might come out again.

Other than the typical endurance issues, the "whiffing" of these low notes is kind of disturbing. Is this typical of a beginning student?

Am I correct in assuming that with practice these issues go away?

Kinda stupid questions, but need assurance.

Any exercises that might be essential to a comeback player on the very start of their journey back? My reading is great along with my technical knowledge, just the physical part.

Thanks!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Drteeth, I'm a comeback player also and had a little of that starting out. This time around I'm doing a lot more long tones, scales, and slurring, and I'm also playing more simple pieces (out of a fake book, out of hymnals, youtube playalongs, etc.). Try playing around with dynamics, articulation, etc.

Another joy of being a comeback player in this generation is message boards, youtube, trumpetherald and reddit and other sites, new equipment, easier to locate teachers, etc.

I'd say I felt like I was pretty much back to normal within a few weeks, which surprised me and now about five months back it feels good, but other people have said it can take longer, even six months or a year. It probably depends a little on how good you were before (I'd imagine the higher the level the longer it takes to return).
drteeth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I am playing long tones, slurring exercises, and simple tunes from Hickman's 100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet, Getchell's first book of practical studies, etc....Just trying to get a good sound and reliable notes.

I guess the "whiffing" will ease the more I practice frequently.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Comeback player and Beginner Issues Reply with quote

drteeth wrote:
...Sometimes I will be in the middle of a piece and just whiff a note. Like a C (middle C first line under staff). Sometimes I just get air...

With practice, you'll learn to hold your embouchure in the correct position, with the correct alignment, and balance that setting with the right amount of air so that your embouchure responds and you don't get airballs.

You can help the cause by working on sound production exercises, where you set your embouchure and play a first note softly so it speaks right away, without airballs. Take the mouthpiece off your chops, count to six, reset, and play another note softly. You'll get some airballs, which is a sign that the balance and equilibrium is off. But if you practice this for at least a few minutes every day, you'll become more accurate with setting and holding your embouchure correctly so everything stays in balance and the notes speak right away.

Another type of exercise that helps with this is playing exercises with notes connected seamlessly together and separated by very light legato tonguing. This will test your ability to keep your embouchure vibrating from note to note while making the necessary adjustments.

Both of these exercises are difficult at first. Don't get frustrated. If you work on them a bit every day, it'll get better and your embouchure will become more reliably responsive.
Piccolo Stomvi
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Comeback player and Beginner Issues Reply with quote

drteeth wrote:
Hey all! I haven't played seriously in about 9 years. ...

... Sometimes I will be in the middle of a piece and just whiff a note. ...

The broad umbrella of "practice" might cover the problem but just practicing what you're already doing might or might not help -- and, it could make it worse.

There are lots of good teachers and proponents of useful methods on the list but if you want to work on getting past this issue on your own for a short while before pursuing those possibilities, look at Greg Spence's videos (Mystery to Mastery, recently rebranded as WindWorks).

https://mysterytomastery.com/

There are lots of free videos there -- and a trial for the newer WindWorks vids -- but look at the very bottom of the page, in the dark gray area. Under "Menu" look at "Beginner Series," "Intermediate Series," and "Advanced Series."

If you work thru the pertinent videos with intention and with an open mind, I'd be surprised if the buzz problem didn't fix itself.

-Denny
(And, Yes to those who might be thinking it -- I am becoming a MTM acolyte :--))
Quinn_Ander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is a lifesaver. I have the same issues when playing pieces/practicing materials that I'm really familiar with! I kinda figured that long tones were the way to go, and seeing that others think the same way is definitely reassuring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: