• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Online Lessons

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Galakti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Online Lessons Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:
Thinking about doing some online lessons this summer. Of course these are not to replace my weekly private lessons. I’m just curious how it’d go.

Candidates are:
Adam Rapa
Pops
Jim Manly

If anyone would like to recommend someone to take a one or two session online lesson from, or could share any experiences they have had, that would be great. Thanks!

I've had an all day lesson with Pops late last year. An encyclopedia of tpt stuff. Not sure how to compare that to Skype lessons.

I've had a Skype lesson with Jim Manley, very recently, and have seen him in clinics. Highly recommend, but, a lot (most?) of Jim's current concepts seem to come from Greg Spence. Jim acknowledges this and is one of the endorsers on Spence's Mystery to Mastery site.

To add to that, I had an extended Skype lesson with Greg about two weeks after the Manley lesson. Some of the same (obviously) and much more

Hello people, Jim Galakti is hier- i do Online Lessons,
Hier is my web ( if you dont seen befor)

Www.jimgalakti.com

I Teach ,
1.Have a Great Sound
2. Play High
3. Improvisation
4. Solfegio
5. How to Practice efficient

you see some exsample

https://youtu.be/-CMSwXHiuiE

https://youtu.be/P-ZYTUB2gmA

-Denny

posthorn_kelsey@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: online lessons Reply with quote

That sounds great.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Someone mentioned the Greg Spence program and I have to second that recommendation. Ive taken lessons from Jim [Manley] and benefitted and learned quite a lot from him. The Mystery to mastery program takes what Jim teaches and breaks it down quite a bit more. The things Ive learned about a lot of stuff I just did, and why some of it worked and some didn’t have been eye opening. I haven’t run across a thing in the program that hasn’t had positive results once I’ve opened up to them. Not expensive for the years of information and study contained. BUT dont get it unless you are willing to lay down some ingrained habits and views. I also take lessons from a symphony player and he has recently asked me what Ive done to get the bigg sound and I showed him the program. He loves it and is going to take some of the things into his own teaching, a guy who’s been playing at a pro level and teaching for 45 years. He (as I) is amazed at the way the program leads to positive discovery, reinforcement, and understanding. I look to the program to give me freedom to play across the horn with full sound. I look to Dave to give me interpretation, help in reading, and more musical fluency. I’m extremely pleased with this arrangement, Spense seems to give me more freedom to play whatever, and my teacher shows me how to interpret and expand musical knowledge. It seems to work well and is a low cost hi payback option, with a free trial.
Rod

I have heard that some teachers have a problem with the title – Mystery to Mastery – of Greg’s method, perhaps because they think that it claims to be some sort guarantee to virtuosity or that it exalts itself too highly in the pantheon of brass methods. That’s shortsighted. The title of the expanded and updated course – WindWorks – might ruffle fewer feathers.

I haven’t found any one particular thing in MTM or WindWorks that is revolutionary – Greg clearly states, “There is no information in this book that cannot be found in other publications.

But, the assemblage and clarity of the videos, text, and tools that Greg offers as a package might be nearly revolutionary. Having the videos for repeated and detailed study is tremendously valuable.

I was very successful getting a 10yo beginner started on cornet a couple of weeks ago using WindWorks (MTM) methods. No free buzzing, no mpc buzzing, no forced, over-blown sound, just a solid, relaxed, foundation of musical tone production (with naturally-moving air) on which to build.

To know that the principles of WindWorks (which are also some of the principles of Arnold Jacobs, Bill Adam, and others, who Greg mentions in his books) work with a beginner and are also adopted and taught by an extreme pro player like Jim Manley speaks volumes.

As Rod stated – “I haven’t run across a thing in the program that hasn’t had positive results once I’ve opened up to them.”

James Morrison and Allen Vizzutti, in their endorsements of MTM speak of,
" ... explain[ing] how it's done in a way that definitely gets results,"
"Anyone at any level ..."
"...no-nonsense ..."
"... really does go Step-by-Step all the way the MASTERY"
"... concise and logical ..."
"... all players could benefit ..."

Allen signs off with, "All teachers will welcome such an organized and functional text. I highly recommend it!"

We can integrate WindWorks/MTM into whatever else we're doing -- BE, Stamp, Gordon, Adam, ...

There is no "one way."

Over 55+ years I’ve taken many lessons with top teachers, been to many clinics and classes, own many (many) books and methods, and I’ve been lucky enough to have been invited to be a part of more than a few top, professional ensembles, both in the classical and commercial worlds at times in my career.

As valuable as certain teachers have been and as productive as certain methods have proven, Greg Spence’s WindWorks (MTM) is – by far – the best one-stop shopping, self-directed resource for relaxed/efficient brass playing that I have encountered.

-Denny

(Also posting to "Thanks from Greg Spence ..." where Rod Haney's post is quoted)
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pops has been the difference and corrected my embouchure. you don't have to take a lot of lessons to see if he can help you.
i am going to get a % figure one day but i suspect a large number of players need embouchure advice. it ain't just me and projecting my difficulties on others.
the hardest part of playing is blowing the instrument correctly.
there are some good teachers out there. the rule of thumb is find someone who top professionals take lessons from. it's a short list.
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Wow - thank you for the very nice write-up! As for the little mistake with my name, don't worry about it - it just reminds me that I need to be a mowen the lawn today or tomorrow after all the rain we've had lately...

2nd for John Mohan!
Harryw413

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be wary that the most important thing for teachers to hear is sound an the online component makes it hard for the teacher to really hear.

just my two cents
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harryw413 wrote:
Be wary that the most important thing for teachers to hear is sound an the online component makes it hard for the teacher to really hear.

just my two cents

You must invest in a good mic and playback system.

Live is always best.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltkije1966 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Wow - thank you for the very nice write-up! As for the little mistake with my name, don't worry about it - it just reminds me that I need to be a mowen the lawn today or tomorrow after all the rain we've had lately...

2nd for John Mohan!

Thanks Scott!
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on the comment about a good mic and playback system, I have had thoughts about that, without really doing anything about it.

For those of us in rural areas, online lessons are a great alternative. I'm four hours of driving from the nearest "live" teacher. While I have a studio that is separate from my home, it does not have internet or wifi. I could capture and send out very good sound from there, but no video, at least not without some investment.

When I first started taking some online lessons a few months ago, I wondered about the sound quality. I'm dong my end of the lesson from my living room, which actually has pretty nice acoustics; however, I'm sending my audio and video through an iPad (mounted on a floor stand) via Facetime to my teacher, who is watching and listening through a similar setup. His comments lead me to believe he's hearing enough to be able to give me adequate critiques of my sound, as well as my technique, but I still have to wonder.

I'd love to hear some suggestions of what sort of set up would work well - on both the sending end and the receiving end - without breaking the bank.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding sound issues during online lessons, there aren't any that can't be overcome in my experience as long as good speakers and a good webcam are used. I use and most of my students use the Logitech C920 webcam with its built in stereo mic. Some adjustments to the audio options do need to be made but they are simple. The "Right Sound" feature needs to be turned off (this is a feature designed to prevent an echo effect of one's voice reverberating in a loop through both users' webcams and speakers, but when activated it causes sustained notes to become muted after the initial attack). Also, the automatic audio gain level of the mic needs to be switched off and the gain needs to be manually set to the lowest or second lowest level.

I can hear my students' tones and sound qualities just fine. And I've tested from time to time how well our sounds can be heard over Skype by asking some of them to listen to any differences as I A/B test different mouthpieces. What I am really doing is seeing if they can hear subtle differences and nuances between different mouthpieces even though they are not right there in the room with me. I have found that in general, my Skype students describe the same differences between certain mouthpieces (usually my 43C and my MV3C which sound very similar) that my in-person students describe.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since trumpet is a vocal-range('ish) instrument most mics will probably do OK. Probably more important to play with placement to get good sound without overloading the mic.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, so you use Skype rather than Facetime? My only experience is with Facetime.

Perhaps there is a way, but I'm not enough of a techie to figure how to use an external camera and mic with my iPad.

Thanks,
Marc Speed
ametzler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based off the comments earlier in the thread I took my first lesson in about 13 years last week with Jim Manley and it was absolutely wonderful! It is really going to help my playing utilizing what we worked on and has brought a little excitement back to my practicing.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Since trumpet is a vocal-range('ish) instrument most mics will probably do OK. Probably more important to play with placement to get good sound without overloading the mic.

The Blue Yeti usb mic available at Best Buy for around $120 has volume and gain controls.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
pops has been the difference and corrected my embouchure. you don't have to take a lot of lessons to see if he can help you.
i am going to get a % figure one day but i suspect a large number of players need embouchure advice. it ain't just me and projecting my difficulties on others.
the hardest part of playing is blowing the instrument correctly.
there are some good teachers out there. the rule of thumb is find someone who top professionals take lessons from. it's a short list.

I agree with you but I think that it is probably more than 99% of players that need embouchure advice.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
John, so you use Skype rather than Facetime? My only experience is with Facetime.

Perhaps there is a way, but I'm not enough of a techie to figure how to use an external camera and mic with my iPad.

Thanks,
Marc Speed

Yes, though I have an iPhone I used a Windows computer, so no Facetime for me normally. We did have to resort to using Facetime a few times with one of my UK students because he was sorting out issues with his cable company - but that was several years ago.

I'm pretty sure one can hook up a separate webcam and/or microphone to an iPad (perhaps someone else can address this). I'm pretty sure thought that based on the fact that several of my students use iPads with no issues, it is not really necessary.

Cheers,

John
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into wi fi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: