• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

latin/salsa trumpet playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johannestrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: latin/salsa trumpet playing Reply with quote

I am currently involved with a salsa band.

I need some name of players to imitate that arent to extreme like arturo sandoval.

Johannes
BigGuns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh where to begin!

One of my favorite groups is Richie Ray and Bobby Cruz. They have a couple trumpet players. Another great group with an awesome trumpet section is Sonora Poncena. Eddie Palmieri is a standard of salsa music. Anything with Tito Puentes is great. Ray Vega is a great player. Marc Anthony has some great stuff. What I've listed is more of the "real" salsa with great horn stuff, as opposed to trumpet featured salsa music.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the names of members, or if it's the same folks on all the tracks, but I love the sections backing Cesaria Evora.

Are you looking for specific leads to emulate, or trying to gain a sense of playing in a section?

Get a screamer mpc! That stuff is high, high, high. Oh... but of course mpc has nothing to do with range.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate.
Armenteros, that is.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out some of the CDs by Oscar D'Leon and Eddie Santiago. I don't even know who the trumpet section players are, but it is awesome and has numerous really good licks that can be transcribed.

You can check out both of these groups on You Tube.
eric33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: latin/salsa trumpet playing Reply with quote

You should listen to Oscar d'Leon ("en Nueva York"), Isaac Delgado (everything!), Jose Alberto "el Canario(" tribute to Machito" is great), Yuri Buenaventura ("salsa Dura", "Herencia Africana"), Azucar Negra ,Manolito y su Trabuco, Cubanismo (with Jesus Alemany, who was trumpeter of Sierra Maestra: Dundunbanza is a must).
One of the best albums is for me "Salsa Brava", a very hard to find album of Eddie Palmieri: the lead trumpet plays the solos, he is really incredible! I love "La Ceiba", a great album of Celia Cruz with "La Sonora Poncena".

Eric
You can download freely the title of our new album: Pancho Ilegal on our website.
http://www.masbajo.net/
http://www.myspace.com/larealfabrica
acatrp61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah....good thread. I've played in countless Salsa, Merengue and Cumbia bands and although I love playing jazz Trumpet the most, nothing is quite as fun as playing lead in a good Salsa ensemble. I'm very fortunate to play in some different latin jazz and Salsa groups here in Acapulco, Mexico. I have a huge collection of Salsa MP3s that I've been collecting for almost 30 years.

Erics post is wonderful, full of good info. In years past, the Puerto Rican and Cuban bands have been on the tip of the spear in this regard, but things have changed and the new guard seems to be the great Columbian salsa bands, such as Grupo Gale & Alberto Santa Rosa. I am also playing with an all Cuban Salsa band here in Acapulco, they have given me so much great Salsa MP3s from bands like>Habana Sax, Azucar Negra, Juan Fosmell Y los Van Van, and the most incredible Salsa band I've ever heard>Papa Ghango. Whoever their lead player is, he is the equal of Arturo!
I've been fortunate to open for both Sonora Poncena and El Grand Combo, and I got a chance to hang with the Trumpet players of both these great bands. By the way, there is a wonderful book about the history of latin Trumpet by Gabrial Rosati, I highly recommend it as he clearly explains the evolution of each popular latin music style and the impact of the great latin Trumpeters.
PM me, I would be happy to send you some good MP3s you cant get in the states.
Hope this helps,
Ed
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the "Gran Combo de Puerto Rico" they are like the equivalent of the Count Basie Big Band of the salsa world.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing in the band that's opening for gran combo next week. Can't wait.
I've been in opening act many times for the great bands like oscar d, Tony vega, grupo niche, mark Anthony, Eddie p, Jimmy Bosch, poncho and many more. The best I heard though was the first time I heard Tony vega's band from the side stage right next to the horns. Wow. Perfect trumpet playing. The second time not so good though.

Sometimes those bands don't have the same quality on the road as they do in the studio;)

doug m
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
eric33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: latin/salsa trumpet playing Reply with quote

There is also a great sonero who's name is Felix Chappottin : he has a great way of phrasing, and is a great example to follow. Listen to "Conjunto Chappottin". The arrangements for many trumpets are great also.

sorry for my english

Eric

http://www.myspace.com/larealfabrica
http://www.masbajo.net/
Uniquetrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate Armenteros.........been listening to him every day for 40 years! His solo recording are amazing and make sure to listen to him on 2 classic Eddie Palmieri recordings "Bilongo" and "Vamanos Pal Monte"........those two recording are Chocolate at his best in the early 70's. Here is a link for his classic solo on "Vamanos Pal Monte"

https://youtu.be/qGiDNXTDePE

You may also want to take a listen to Luis Perico Ortiz. His solo recordings in addition to recordings he did with Celia Cruz like "Quimbara" on Fania records.

Finally, listen to El Septeto Nacional and Sierra Maestra These traditional Cuban bands been around since the 1920's. They have the tradition of having great young trumpet players, like Jesus Alemany of Cubanismo, start off in their groups before moving on their own.

There are MANY others but those 3 will give you enough inspiration for a lifetime.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate Armenteros
Luis Perico Ortiz
Ray Barretto (Rican Struction-great album to start w/)
Batacumbele
Fania All-Stars

that's a good place to start.... :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the OP found someone to listen to in the intervening nine years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: