• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taking a Few Days Off?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Taking a Few Days Off? Reply with quote

I'm going on vacation next week to visit some family. I'm not sure how their neighbors would react to a trumpet being played nearby. I do have a practice mute (Denis Wick), but the backpressure is too much for me, and I end up overblowing which does more harm than good for me. So, I don't tend to use it much. I've only been playing again for a little over a month. I'm just curious how much of a detriment taking 3 or 4 days off would be this soon after coming back? Especially since I've been making some great (for me) progress, I don't want to take any steps backward.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I travel, I usually take my Silent Brass along. I use it regularly in Hotels and when visiting my Sons in St. Louis and Destin. The feedback using headphones keeps me from overblowing and the Silent Brass Mute gives very little backpressure.

I did however, recently go on a Cruise with my Wife and decided that a week or so off wouldn't impact me much during this slower time of the year. Once I was back home, I started my regular practice routine again, taking it a little easy the first few days, playing very softly at first, then building back up to my normal approach to daily practice. I have done 2 rehearsals since getting back with another coming up this week. After 2 weeks of regular playing, I believe that I am back to where I was before the Cruise. I really did enjoy the break in routine and spent it, I believe, wisely focusing on time with my Wife.

I believe a little time out of routine is good for jump starting my focus on playing and performing. Busier times are just ahead, beginning the last weekend of May, all of June, July and August and so forth.

Evaluate your situation and decide the best way for you from there. A little forethought goes a very long way. Life is short!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a performance coming up shortly after your trip, don't sweat it - take the time off and enjoy the visit sans trumpet. I'm taking a short trip for a visit this week/weekend. I'm not taking my trumpet, and I have a performance the day after I get back. (nothing exposed) If I had a gig where I really needed to be at the top of my game the day I got back, I might take my horn, but it's just not really a factor for this gig.

You'll be fine - enjoy the trip and pick it back up when you get back.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wick of one of my least favorite practice mutes, though I don't like any very much. I like the Trumcor well enough and don't hate the older Silent Brass and hear that the newer ones are appreciably better.

There is a certain amount of practice that can be done with a mute but you have to be careful. If I don't have to be dead quiet I sometimes prefer to use a Harmon with no stem. Don't play loud and don't linger on the upper range too much and you shouldn't get hurt.

Add me to the folks that agree a few days off shouldn't be a major issue. Just take a little time to nurse your chops back into shape before hitting it too hard.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to my day job (which requires travel) and other life demands - no kids, thank God, but the girlfriend does require a fair bit of attention - I fairly regularly have to take a day or two off the horn. It's certainly not an ideal situation from a trumpet perspective. But I have a practice routine and a set of exercises that I do that allow me to bounce back extremely quickly from time off the horn.

I've been doing it this way for so long, to me it actually feels "normal" and it's not a crazy big deal to get back adjusted on the horn again. And I regularly play 3-hour jazz combo sets without endurance issues even if I have to take a day or two off the horn. So what I'm saying is you don't have to let it kill you if you have a really great setup on the horn to begin with.

I also view time away from the horn as an opportunity to come back even stronger and make sure everything is dialed in just the way I like it when I pick the instrument back up again. (Thank goodness for Schlossberg!!)

Is it ideal to practice every day? Of course. But if you can't, there are certainly strategies to mitigate the effects on your playing. Just make sure to have enough time to get everything dialed in before your next gig!
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies! I will just not sweat it and go without this time. I was just worried about losing what little progress I've made recently. It seems that I was just overanalyzing the situation (like usual ). Plus, I'm really happy with the fact that I've practiced every single day since I picked it back up. I know part of my reason for asking this question was to find a reason to keep my streak going!

The Denis Wick is what my local music store recommended and, subsequently, sold to me. I'm very interested in the Silent Brass, but I just can't justify the $200 price tag right now. Maybe a little while down the road.

Is the "Schlossberg" the "Daily Drills and Technical Studies for Trumpet"? I keep seeing references to the Schlossberg on here as though everyone already knows what it is, but I'm not familiar with that one.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking a Few Days Off? Reply with quote

Craig S wrote:
I do have a practice mute (Denis Wick), but the backpressure is too much for me, and I end up overblowing which does more harm than good for me. So, I don't tend to use it much.

I also have problem with practice mutes, for the same reasons.

Nowadays, when I'm on the road and need to practice, I use a harmon mute with the stem removed. If I'm in a hotel room, I put on the TV for a little background noise. I've never received a complaint.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking a Few Days Off? Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Craig S wrote:
I do have a practice mute (Denis Wick), but the backpressure is too much for me, and I end up overblowing which does more harm than good for me. So, I don't tend to use it much.

Nowadays, when I'm on the road and need to practice, I use a harmon mute with the stem removed. If I'm in a hotel room, I put on the TV for a little background noise. I've never received a complaint.

Mike

Right now, the practice mute is the only mute I own. I've thought about getting a harmon mute and/or a bucket mute just to muffle the volume a bit. I thought my neighbors might say something about my playing, but I've had no complaints yet. So, they can't hear me, it's not distracting to them, they're too nice to say anything, or I don't suck as badly as I think I do (probably not D! ). I may have to do some more looking into getting some mutes.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most any Harmon will be almost undetectable through walls except maybe late at night. I don't think a bucket will be quiet enough. The Wick adjustable cup is another decent option. When it's closed down tight it's pretty darn quiet.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig S wrote:
Is the "Schlossberg" the "Daily Drills and Technical Studies for Trumpet"? I keep seeing references to the Schlossberg on here as though everyone already knows what it is, but I'm not familiar with that one.

Yes, it is. See this thread I started about it last year:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145903&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Craig S

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Craig S wrote:

Yes, it is. See this thread I started about it last year:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145903&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Great info! Thanks, Turkle!
Kazz

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
Whenever I travel, I usually take my Silent Brass along. I use it regularly in Hotels and when visiting my Sons in St. Louis and Destin. The feedback using headphones keeps me from overblowing and the Silent Brass Mute gives very little backpressure.

I did however, recently go on a Cruise with my Wife and decided that a week or so off wouldn't impact me much during this slower time of the year. Once I was back home, I started my regular practice routine again, taking it a little easy the first few days, playing very softly at first, then building back up to my normal approach to daily practice. I have done 2 rehearsals since getting back with another coming up this week. After 2 weeks of regular playing, I believe that I am back to where I was before the Cruise. I really did enjoy the break in routine and spent it, I believe, wisely focusing on time with my Wife.

I believe a little time out of routine is good for jump starting my focus on playing and performing. Busier times are just ahead, beginning the last weekend of May, all of June, July and August and so forth.

Evaluate your situation and decide the best way for you from there. A little forethought goes a very long way. Life is short!

Mike

I agree. I've gone on many week-long excursions and vacations, without a horn or mouthpiece. I usually came back feeling relaxed and fresh. I'd always return with a renewed excitement and enthusiasm to start playing and practicing again. Once I went back to my regular warm-up and practice routine, I would feel better and sound better, too.
trumpetDS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A break can be good but the length really depends on each player. I strongly believe that so much of playing is mental that I don't worry about time away from the trumpet. Despite playing professionally, I schedule long backpacking trips over the summer. I intentionally avoid accepting jobs within a week of returning. I like the thrill of seeing if I can get my chops back in shape and so far it has worked out well for me. Several years ago, I took 100 days off and was back to my regular gig schedule within 2 weeks. I felt great physically but more importantly mentally. I love that fact that I missed the trumpet while I was away and it bothered me that I didn't have it with me. It was a good indicator that I wasn't getting burned out.
Here is how I get back in shape:
1. While away, I free buzzed 5-10 minutes a day just to keeps some sensitivity and whisper tongue so as to not lose too much velocity.
2. Upon my return. Day 1- free buzz 5 min. 10-15 minutes mouthpiece buzz, either Stamp exercises or Buzzing Basics.
3. Day 2- same as Day 1 but add in 15 minutes on the trumpet of Stamp and Clark #2 at a comfortable volume.
4. Day 3- same as Day 2 but add another 15 minutes on the trumpet playing my full daily routine, but without expectations.
5. Day 4- play my daily routine for an hour with breaks testing my range but not forcing it.
6. Day 5- play with some finesse and control of dynamics.
7. Day 6- I should feel back to normal by this point, but just not have my usual endurance.
8. From Day 7 on-work to increase my endurance back to 1-3 hours per day -but more importantly focus on the smoothness of slurs and pianissimo playing. Once those are 100% I am good to go.

A break can work wonders, but have a plan and be patient. You don't have to start over again from the beginning. You can pick up where you left off, just lower the expectation for a few days.
Craig S

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetDS, I am nowhere near a professional. I practice, typically, between an hour and an hour and a half (total time from oiling valves to close the case). I've only been playing again a month, which is what is worrying me. If this was a year later, I'd be confident that my chops were strong enough that taking a few days off would be nothing. But, then again, maybe I haven't gained enough strength to worry about losing anything!
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide that you're dead set on practicing, there are always places where you can play open: park, car, parking garage, corner of a parking lot, church, college, etc. If you want to enjoy a break, I'd enjoy it guilt-free, but if you want to enjoy some good practicing, I'd find a way to make it happen.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a couple days or even a week playing in a Wick practice mute softly, not over-blowing and focusing on centering the sound helps my sound, range and endurance. The key is to lean against the resistance and not overblow as it will spread your chops out.

It works so well for me that I will often play in the mute during my regular practice when I am at home. Maybe I am just weird, wait...according to my wife...I AM! Good luck!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Taking a Few Days Off? Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Craig S wrote:

Mike

That's the big problem I guess - we expect to hear ourselves, and some of these mutes take out so much sound that we wind up putting more in (ironically counteracting the entire point of the mute) and then wonder why it's knackering us...

This is, IMHO, the one big upside to the electronic mutes - you hear yourself properly and if you set the volume at a sensibly high level, you don't wind up tempted to overblow.

I guess it'd be a fun experiment - if you give the same player/s the mute and then put earplugs on them, do they play louder with or without the plugs?
Craig S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usedtobegood wrote:
I find a couple days or even a week playing in a Wick practice mute softly, not over-blowing and focusing on centering the sound helps my sound, range and endurance. The key is to lean against the resistance and not overblow as it will spread your chops out.

It works so well for me that I will often play in the mute during my regular practice when I am at home. Maybe I am just weird, wait...according to my wife...I AM! Good luck!

I think my problem with it was being so freshly back from so long off. I really needed to hear myself, and I couldn't. I ended up taking my horn with me on my trip, and I used my practice mute. I didn't feel like I overblew as I did when I first came back. Perhaps, I was able to focus on the feeling of the notes I was playing in lieu of the sound. Yes, I could hear myself, but nowhere near what I usually do. maybe it's an issue of my chops not being strong enough the first go around.
Craig S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking a Few Days Off? Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
Craig S wrote:

Mike

That's the big problem I guess - we expect to hear ourselves, and some of these mutes take out so much sound that we wind up putting more in (ironically counteracting the entire point of the mute) and then wonder why it's knackering us...

This is, IMHO, the one big upside to the electronic mutes - you hear yourself properly and if you set the volume at a sensibly high level, you don't wind up tempted to overblow.

I guess it'd be a fun experiment - if you give the same player/s the mute and then put earplugs on them, do they play louder with or without the plugs?

I think that would be an awesome experiment! I wonder how different the feeling would be for the players doing a back to back comparison?

I would love to try one of the electronic mutes. It's just not financially feasible a this point. Perhaps I'll be able to find one used at a price I can justify sometime.
Love2play

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when you are away on a trip try something different, Don play at all. Do some isometrics or buzzing on the mouthpiece or rim. Lately I have been doing an excercise where i flex the embouchure corners until they burn a little. Sometimes it is good to mix it up a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: