• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chinese Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are trying too hard. First lets stop this conspiracy theory before all the middle schoolers begin quoting it. No, Bach doesn't sell seconds as counterfeit bachs. It is much more likely they sell them at full price.

Many people don't realize that there are contract manufacturers out there. Emerson Tool Company makes both Rigid and Craftsmen tools. Sometimes the same product is sold by both, but much of the time they are made to specifications specific to the product line, even if the look the same.

Foxconn makes cell phones for multiple cell phone companies. Those cellphones are also not just rebranded identical models.

Carol Brass does work like that for some builders. Like the valve blocks they sell.

I bet a lot of kids who have an unusable POS trumpets wish they had chosen that pristine Benge for a few more dollars.

But at the end of the day, if you are happy with your Cecilia none of us can gainsay your choice.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: reply or not to reply Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
...It's "what ever blows your dress up".

Fhewww! I just felt it....

Last edited by dstpt on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok maybe not. And in reality when I joined a brass band I needed a short shepherds crook cornet! Did I buy a $300 China job? NO! I bought a Bach cr310 fo $150. It is shiny and almost mint. And I play mostly in the other two bands with a Holton c605 in mint condition that I picked up for $25. Yes I can visually see the difference in brass quality/consistency in my two intermediate American horns compared to the Cecilio tt500ses. If you need and don't have time to shop the China jobs work well! But I would always try to get a known brand name
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: chinese trumpets Reply with quote

Now my two cents worth. Several months ago I bought a Pfund trumpet in the marketplace here after looking at used horns for several months. I am starting back up after like 19 years off. Once I made contact through the marketplace I did some more checking and found out Mr. Pfund has them made in china. I did the deal and have been very satisfied with the horn. At 68 I am looking to get some chops back and perhaps play in community band and a local brass choir. No more Herbert Clarke, Haydn or Hummel here. The person who sold it to me had just determined not to play anymore, so it is in pristine condition. When, if ever, I get back enough chops to move on to a Yamaha, Schilke, Carol Brass, or maybe vintage Benge,l I will. I have always been pretty anal retentive about all musical stuff, hunting and fishing gear. Right now, for me, I will play the Pfund in preference to the two used Bachs I tried that were three times the money and worn to the max.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased another Chinese made instrument. It’s a Brasspire Unicorn cornet. Really had no worries buying it as it was recommended by the good fellas at Austin Custom Brass. Been using it exclusively for brass band work and it is a gem! Valves have not even given a hint of trouble and the slide triggers operate flawlessly. Can’t say enough good about it. Bout to walk into big band rehearsal tonight with my Cecilio which I’m totally confident in. I’m still convinced that the Chinese are now producing really good products
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Purchased another Chinese made instrument. It’s a Brasspire Unicorn cornet. Really had no worries buying it as it was recommended by the good fellas at Austin Custom Brass. Been using it exclusively for brass band work and it is a gem! Valves have not even given a hint of trouble and the slide triggers operate flawlessly. Can’t say enough good about it. Bout to walk into big band rehearsal tonight with my Cecilio which I’m totally confident in. I’m still convinced that the Chinese are now producing really good products

Are these Chinese, or Taiwanese? Over the years, the Taiwan made instruments have been known for better quality. As have Trent's offerings since he and his shop are very engaged in the design, manufacturing and delivery prep.

If the Chinese offerings are getting better that is a good trend, since fewer people will get taken.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brasspire is a Japanese brand made in Japan but the Unicorn line is made in China and they are very nice.

The Cecilio brand I’m most certain they’re made in China, at least the tt280,380&480 and the Mendini line with the same model numbers but they’re definitely from a different source as the valve blocks are completely different
The Cecilio tt500ses and sel I’m unsure of the country of origin. It is their top tier trumpet with different valves and valve block, they are stainless but the lesser models are monel. Also the bracing, ferrules, mouthpiece receiver, water key and bell profile are different
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Harrelson's review of a Cecilio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIN4AD0cs0o

(no really, he actually reviews one)
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In almost every area of life cheaper consumables from the global market have taken off. Most of us are grateful. You can buy a set of good dishes for 20$ when it might have been a week's wages for your parents. The same boots are now cheaper than the identical model I bought 20 years ago, although not quite as well made. There's a huge market (and internet) that mostly makes our lives better. I can try my kid out on a cheap plastic cornet rather than spending $1000 on a new trumpet or paying $20-30/month for rental. In a lot of ways affordability and disposability have made things easier.

I think the lower level import brands are mostly worth it. I'm liking my Carols. I've bought a half dozen mouthpieces on the cheap. I'm grateful to not be stuck with just a few companies and stock models.

At the same time, when I get the chance to revert to my Bach 37 I probably will. Why? Bach is standardized and I can buy replacement pieces easier. Shops know how to do alignments and repairs. Other players know the brand. I have a better idea of what I'm getting. You can jazz up a bach more easily (buy a round tube, heavyweight caps, etc., etc.). Resale is better. Yamaha and Schilke are similar.

But I can also respect the guy who buys a $50 used Cecilio on ebay so his kid can try out the trumpet over the summer. It's all good...
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
But I can also respect the guy who buys a $50 used Cecilio on ebay so his kid can try out the trumpet over the summer. It's all good...

The problem is, and will be, that many parents are sucked into purchasing a $50 used El Cheapo that *might* make it through the summer, but the parents expect it to last until high school graduation.

As long as eyes are open, sure, make an informed purchase.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: chinese trumpets Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Now my two cents worth. Several months ago I bought a Pfund trumpet in the marketplace here after looking at used horns for several months. I am starting back up after like 19 years off. Once I made contact through the marketplace I did some more checking and found out Mr. Pfund has them made in china. I did the deal and have been very satisfied with the horn. At 68 I am looking to get some chops back and perhaps play in community band and a local brass choir. No more Herbert Clarke, Haydn or Hummel here. The person who sold it to me had just determined not to play anymore, so it is in pristine condition. When, if ever, I get back enough chops to move on to a Yamaha, Schilke, Carol Brass, or maybe vintage Benge,l I will. I have always been pretty anal retentive about all musical stuff, hunting and fishing gear. Right now, for me, I will play the Pfund in preference to the two used Bachs I tried that were three times the money and worn to the max.

You made a very good decision in my opinion. Bill's trumpets are no joke. He inspects each one at the factory and only has them send the ones he feels are up to his standards. Then he does his own tweaks after they arrive in his shop in CO. I have a Bb and C of his and they do not take 2nd chair to my 3 Schilkes, Larson C, Calicchio, or 2 Yamahas. I prefer his over the several Bach Strads I have owned as well. There is nothing cheap or sub par about his "Chinese" made horns.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Berkeley C trumpet and I was blown away. Perhaps there are durability issues with plating and valves. Who knows? This one had a little bit of tweaking done by someone who knew how to work on Horns, but nothing major. I was actually shocked that it was easier to play than my Bach, at least at first blush. I can't really say for sure if the intonation was that bad. Probably not that noticeable. There are probably other issues but I did not see them in one playing for a few seconds. But I'm not that picky and this thing was $300. Sickeningly cheap.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I think I've learned over the years about Asian horns:

Chinese horns come in two 'flavors'.
One are poorly designed, ultra cheap (in every sense of the word) horns that are banged out and stamped for whoever wants them (Cecilio, Mendini, etc.) - not recommended
Two are horns designed and sold by (usually) by smaller or newer companies which are produced, to spec, in Chinese factories. I think these are the horns that people are finding can be quite good for the money.

Taiwanese horns have a generally better reputation than the Chinese, I think mostly because they are more often produced by Taiwanese companies themselves with good designs, rather than the stamping operations that produce the low quality horns one sees coming out of China and India.

That's just my sense of things....I could be wrong....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: