• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Portamento in Mahler 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpeterswain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Portamento in Mahler 5 Reply with quote

Ten measures before rehearsal 7 in the first movement of his Fifth Symphony, Mahler instructs the first trumpet to play “portamento” in the connected middle D to high C (concert C to Bb on C trumpet). “Portamento” (from the Italian meaning "carriage" or "carrying") is a pitch sliding from one note to another. It’s not a glissando, so what kind of sliding pitch is expected? A suggestion of what tones are within the minor 7th interval, or just a very smooth and connected transition between the notes?

My mantra with Mahler is, “what would Bud Herseth do”? Any suggestions?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Portamento in Mahler 5 Reply with quote

trumpeterswain wrote:

Get some recordings of Bud playing it and listen over and over to figure it out.

Then, practice it. Record yourself. Listen back and forth and compare your chosen technique against his. You'll figure it out.

Edit:

I did a little digging and found this thread from another forum:

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t14634-The-ultimate-glissando-vs-portamento-topic#post92532

The last post gives a more clear description and distinction between glissando and portamento.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
dutchtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Portamento in Mahler 5 Reply with quote

trumpeterswain wrote:
Ten measures before rehearsal 7 in the first movement of his Fifth Symphony, Mahler instructs the first trumpet to play “portamento” in the connected middle D to high C (concert C to Bb on C trumpet). “Portamento” (from the Italian meaning "carriage" or "carrying") is a pitch sliding from one note to another. It’s not a glissando, so what kind of sliding pitch is expected? A suggestion of what tones are within the minor 7th interval, or just a very smooth and connected transition between the notes?

The word was defined to me in this exact passage by my teacher Charlie Geyer long ago as the beautiful and liquid connection of a master singer.

Works for me.
trumpeterswain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Portamento in Mahler 5 Reply with quote

Quote:
The word was defined to me in this exact passage by my teacher Charlie Geyer long ago as the beautiful and liquid connection of a master singer.

Works for me.

That’s an excellent musical image.

The singer whom this brings to mind is actually Ella Fitzgerald, since she had a wonderfully liquid vocal range with virtually no break between registers. Like https://youtu.be/eCACOat8YaU at 1:42.
trumpeterswain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: It’s listening, damnit. Reply with quote

The answer is easy to come to when you listen to (or look at the score for) what else is going on during that passage. The third trumpet is playing a variant on the triplet passage, which the first trumpet dramatizes through the crescendo in the concert C, resolves with the strong-toned Bb, and then notches down (I think visually of physically backing away).

Seeing Mahler’s genius as an orchestrator fully and the way the part fits into the tapestry makes the interpretation so much more valid. We sometimes think of Mahler #5’s opening movement as if it were a trumpet concerto. There’s a reason Mahler never wrote a concerto. The trumpet part is one of Mahler’s tools to create the world in a symphony, not an individual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: