• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High Note Exercise for Summer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaedryn

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: High Note Exercise for Summer Reply with quote

Hi, so I'm in the 8th grade. I started playing in 7th grade. Next year, I'm going to be playing the 1st part in my school. I could play this years first part, kind of, but it wasn't easy. It was a slight struggle to hit the higher notes. The highest note I can currently hit is an Eb above the staff, so my range definitely isn't the greatest. I was wondering if anyone had any good exercises I could do over the summer to improve my range, or at least make it easier to play above the staff.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in eighth grade, have only been playing for one year, and already have an Eb above the staff, you should continue to do exactly what you’ve been doing. Because that’s phenomenal.

To further propel your range, lip slurs would be good, and ensure you play lots of high notes every day. With consistent practice your range will improve.

Although, to be quite honest, I can’t even hit the Eb, so you should be the one giving me advice lol.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling he means the Eb near the top of the staff. I could be wrong.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

I’ll bet you are not (wrong).

Brad
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

I think you're correct.

Beginners are very interesting trumpet players to me. In some ways I wished that I'd kept a logbook or diary about my imrovement throughout my early years. I have a theory that beginners and intermediate trumpets might be wise to not practice too much. As the embouchure develops through the brain's control and tends to create "plateaus" which at times are incredibly hard to defeat. Its the difference between long term and short term training processes.

As a beginner I had trouble staying motivated. I most certainly waa not a motivated kid. I don't blame myself for this however. Because once I found a few great stars to listen to? I developed a keen interest in practicing. So when someone asks me what they can do to improve more quickly? I tell them to find an idol. It could even be Herb Alpert. Anyone whom you respect and appreciate their sound.

For me my two greatest resources were Nat Adderly (cornet playing brother of Cannonball) and Maynard Ferguson. My pendulum has swung however as a boy I Iistened more to Ferguson. But as I get older I appreciate Nat more. As well as Ch
et Baker and Lee Morgan.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: High Note Exercise for Summer Reply with quote

Blaedryn wrote:
Hi, so I'm in the 8th grade. I started playing in 7th grade. Next year, I'm going to be playing the 1st part in my school. I could play this years first part, kind of, but it wasn't easy. It was a slight struggle to hit the higher notes. The highest note I can currently hit is an Eb above the staff, so my range definitely isn't the greatest. I was wondering if anyone had any good exercises I could do over the summer to improve my range, or at least make it easier to play above the staff.

Do you have a practice routine that you do every day?
fijimorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great and easy exercises for developing range. If done correctly, you could add some significant improvements to your range over the summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IB4omxzqOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6K9RZyO6gc
dylanlmeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that summer is a time to focus on doing things correctly, consistently. This inevitably leads toward better habits, and often times better range.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“High Notes for Trumpet” by Allen Vizzutti is a very good range building book and a great addition to anyone’s library. You play exercises at ppp and under control. Can be purchased off his website for $23.00 if I remember correctly.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would see some good improvements if you learned to do the Cat Anderson 10 minute G. Doesn’t take long BUT IS VERY HARD TO DO but not hard on you. It will improve a lot of things including ability to play higher. All you will lose I’d 10 minutes a day to see if it works.
May be the least invasive of any chop exercise.
Rod
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a theory that beginners and intermediate trumpets might be wise to not practice too much

And that is the conundrum. The only way we improve is by practicing a LOT. When we read the stories of our superstar trumpet players we find that from an early age these guys played and played and played. Hours each day. After all, muscle memory it what allows proficiency and consistency.

However, practicing the wrong way is worse than not practicing at all, because we develop the wrong muscle memory and cannot improve.

To me, the biggest key is to practice a lot but NEVER strain.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice so far.

You’re a young kid and you just need to keep things simple. Even after you become more advanced/older, simpler still works best. There is a daily routine that’s been used by beginner/inermediate players to advanced/pro players for a long time. It’s based out of the Schlossberg book. I still use it quite often. A fundamental, daily routine creates great efficiency in trumpet playing. Play it exactly as it is written. Here is is:

When you go to practice music with high notes, after several months of practicing this routine on a daily basis, you're chops should be very efficient and you won't strain for the higher notes. Also check out Pops' books at Bbtrumpet.com where he has you playing musical songs up int the higher registers after several months of doing the Schlossberg routine. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Hermie Shear about building range in 1978 at a bar concert Woody Herman was putting on in Jacksonville, Florida. Hermie was on the Lead book; a killer player and graduate of Julliard. He told me practice Schlossberg softly. I agree regarding Schlossberg. It is an awesome book.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Bobby G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Range Building Reply with quote

Greetings!
I've constantly struggled with range, so I've tried many standard technique books. Often these only help if done with ideal form. One way that I've seen good results is to build more endurance. An easy and safe way is doing minute drills. You can hold a comfortable note, say G in the staff, and hold it for one minute with no (minimal) pressure and slightly engaging the corners. Then rest for a minute and continue until you feel tiredness in the corners and or can't control the pitch anymore. Continue to add more of these on until it is easy. At that point, go to two minutes on and one off, then over time move the note higher. Remember that range and endurance are life long endeavors, and that even your favorite trumpet players still work on or think about these things. Don't rush it, ad listen to your body.
Cheers!

Bobby G
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: High Note Exercise for Summer Reply with quote

Blaedryn wrote:

There have been some good exercises, pointers, and opinions given but some of these might not resonate with an 8th grader with a year or two of playing under their belt.

Get Jeff Smiley's book -- The Balanced Embouchure -- and see if you can get some Skype lessons with Jeff. He moderates the forum on this topic and is quite responsive to specific questions about his method. And, he might know of a BE teacher near you.

BE will not try to get you to do more/better/stronger/higher of what you've been doing but will train your lips to operate efficiently (I paint with a broad brush when I say just, "lips.")

Then, the more that you practice (in a guided, intentional, constructive way), the sooner you'll become a good player.

-Denny
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaedryn, I think before you can take much of the advice above you need to clear up whether or not you actually mean an Eb above the staff or the one in the fourth space in the staff. Which is it, please?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another recommendation for lip slurs. i am partial to the bai lin book which will give you slow and sure strength and range.
for the rest of it, just relax, don't worry about your chair, just keep practicing and loving the instrument. there is really no quick way. there is the smart way.
Josh_Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vizzutti books have some great upper register exercises to try.
trumpetusf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: High Note Exercise for Summer Reply with quote

Blaedryn wrote:

I would recommend Advanced lip flexibilities by Colin

It always was a great resource for me in my development and any of my students who regularly practiced these exercises saw improvement in range.

Best of luck to ya!

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Flexibilities-Trumpet-Complete-Volumes/dp/B000JSM5QU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532519284&sr=8-1&keywords=advanced+lip+flexibilities+for+trumpet&dpID=21ecs64dB5L&preST=_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: