• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi vs Shilke Eb/D Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel.bardan88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Stomvi vs Shilke Eb/D Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a new Eb/D trumpet, but I'm not sure which one should I buy, I want to know your experiences trying this horns. I want a horn for orchestra and solo playing.

Daniel
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're comparing a Yugo to a Porsche.

If you have the funds, go with the Schilke.

If you don't have the funds for the Schilke, keep saving up until you do.

This having been said, I sure do luvs my Kanstul 1523 Eb/D.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Schilke E3L and love it. Having said that I have never played a Stomvi Eb/D, but have played a few of their piccolo trumpets. Their piccolo trumpets are very nice, not quite as good as Schilke in my opinion - but very nice horns. For the record I play a Schilke P5-4 piccolo most of the time.

If you can get the Schilke for less than $500 more than the Stomvi I would say that it is worth it.
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedaltonekid wrote:
I play a Schilke E3L and love it. Having said that I have never played a Stomvi Eb/D, but have played a few of their piccolo trumpets. Their piccolo trumpets are very nice, not quite as good as Schilke in my opinion - but very nice horns. For the record I play a Schilke P5-4 piccolo most of the time.

If you can get the Schilke for less than $500 more than the Stomvi I would say that it is worth it.

Agree!!! I play a Stomvi Eb/D with the tuning bell...Do not get the non tuning bell model!!!! The horn is very good...though, I must admit not as good as an E3L....For me it made sense..I do not play a lot of Eb/D trumpet so it meets my needs just fine...However, if I were to be in a situation that I was called on to play a great deal of Eb...the Schilke would be a no brainer!!!! I too play a Schilke Picc...Amazing quality!!!!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try them both and see which works best WITH YOU ON THE END.

I like the Stomvi, but would (like others) probably choose the Schilke over it. However, I would quite likely go for something else.

If it was the piccolo - I actually prefer the Stomvi to the Schilke (I am one of those rare breeds who think that the Schilke piccolo is NOT the greatest instrument on the face of the planet).
Albert Castillo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try both. Try it in the concert hall with someone hearing.
Both are good enough for solo. But for orchestra (symphony, no chamber), the Stomvi usually doesn't work so good, IMO.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with the Kanstul CCT923.
daniel.bardan88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about the intonation of both horns, is it well?

Or like the yamaha short model, I just sold my yamaha short model 6610 because the intonation was very awful. And I'm looking for a good Eb/D with great intonation in the Eb like in the D part, and great sound (darker sound will be great).

Thanks for your comments.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually heard surprisingly good things about the Stomvi. It would probably be worth trying out. Also the Kanstul.

However, for my money, the best E flat on the market is the new Yamaha 8636. If you want to read my deranged ramblings about it, you can do so in this thread:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86054
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a very old chain, but it comes high on the Google search engine. I have a Stomvi Elite Eb/D (Not even the pro line: it's considered intermediate). The only others I have tried are 10-20 year old Bach and Yamaha E flats. If you know how to play, you can handle this horn. I'd love to have a Schilke but refuse to pony up that kind of cash. I'm an amateur and I only play Eb when I need it, which does not justify $5000 for the occasional crutch.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I drag an Eb out for a quintet gig, my two choices are a Kanstul 923 and a B&S E/Eb (with the Eb bell and slides).

Do I want to sound like a Bach C? (Take the B&S) or something a little warmer (grab the Kanstul). The Thein will be too much like hard work changing it over from C, and back again... if you were wondering.

Had a Schilke years ago. Sold it as I wasn't happy fighting the horn from note to note. Tried a Stomvi a few years ago. No. Nasty. Move on. That's my thoughts, even if the choice was made 9 years ago!

cheers

Andy
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an option back in 2009, but the Shires 6F is a wonderful Eb/D for orchestral and solo playing. I preferred it to the Schilke and Yamaha models I tried.

I did not play the Stomvi Eb/D, so cannot compare. The few Stomvi Bb and C trumpets I have tried were well-made horns.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stomvi vs Shilke Eb/D Trumpet Reply with quote

daniel.bardan88 wrote:
But what about the intonation of both horns, is it well?

Or like the yamaha short model, I just sold my yamaha short model 6610 because the intonation was very awful. And I'm looking for a good Eb/D with great intonation in the Eb like in the D part, and great sound (darker sound will be great).

Thanks for your comments.

You're right, the intonation on the 6610 isn't the greatest. But the intonation on both the Schilke E3L and the E3L-4 (four valve version) is fantastic. I've owned an E3L-4 since the summer of 2004. I bought it to work up the Haydn for the Fall of 2004 CSO audition. Since that audition it's spent all this time in my horn closet, save for a few orchestra subbing jobs, an Easter gig or two, and being taken out every month or so for valve oiling and to make sure the slide grease hasn't dried up. Poor, lonely trumpet (though it has many friends in that closet).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had a desire for an Eb/D instrument.......ended up paying $2,400 for a new Yamaha 9610 that I'm very happy with
Bobby G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Stomvi v. Schilke Reply with quote

I currently own and play a stomvi picc and a schilke Eb/D. I can confirm that they both play in tune with good sounds and are acceptable horns. That being said, there is a different quality to the schilke. The schilke has a brilliance and resonance to the sound that in my opinion, can't be beat. If I were you, hold out until you can get a decent deal for a used schilke E3L. I bought mine here on trumpet herald and couldn't be happier.

Bobby G
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
I too had a desire for an Eb/D instrument.......ended up paying $2,400 for a new Yamaha 9610 that I'm very happy with

Where did you buy the 9610 for $2400? The WWBW has them listed just under $4K.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that Daniel made his original post in this thread nine years ago. Daniel, if you're reading this, let us know if you bought an Eb and if you did, what did you buy?
vandenplass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stomvi vs Shilke Eb/D Trumpet Reply with quote

[quote="daniel.bardan88"]Hi, I'm thinking about buying a new Eb/D trumpet, but I'm not sure which one should I buy, I want to know your experiences trying this horns. I want a horn for orchestra and solo playing.

I Own a Yamaha a Schilke and a shires. The best sonority are the Shires. The bets of them for the valves are Yamaha . The second place are Shires and the third place for Schilke. I own tow Vincent Bach b flat a C trumpet from Yamaha Xeno and never had mystery with valves.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Daniel's Activity Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that Daniel made his original post in this thread nine years ago. Daniel, if you're reading this, let us know if you bought an Eb and if you did, what did you buy?

Daniel doesn't seem to have posted anything for several years
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Shark01 wrote:

Where did you buy the 9610 for $2400? The WWBW has them listed just under $4K.

Matt at Quinn the Eskimo....He will get new old stock instruments from time to time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: