• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

PSA: Do not buy from Ebay seller Frisco 1227...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: PSA: Do not buy from Ebay seller Frisco 1227... Reply with quote

Specifically do not buy mouthpieces if you expect them to last. While what he sells looks like old pieces in pristine condition, he home-plates gold over raw brass and it wears off somewhere between a couple months and half a year. Long after Ebay gives you the option to still post feedback. Maybe not a big deal, but if you are sensitive to raw brass like I am or actually allergic this is potentially very dangerous. Not to mention disingenuous and moderately expensive to remedy if you end up liking the piece. I emailed him to address the issue but got no response. This happened with a piece I bought from him and one a buddy of mine purchased as well. Just wanted to give people a heads up, if this doesn't bother you feel free to give this guy your custom, but this sort of thing doesn't sit well with me.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve purchased a few things from this seller and have had no complaints at all. He always has interesting stuff and is quite knowledgeable. He does gold plate a lot of his pieces and it’s not Monette-level plating, but I’ve never had a problem with it wearing off either.

As always, YMMV, but I always check out his auctions and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from him again. Just another data point.
Tenor Horn Fellow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: PSA: Do not buy from Ebay seller Frisco 1227... Reply with quote

TMT wrote:
Specifically do not buy mouthpieces if you expect them to last. While what he sells looks like old pieces in pristine condition, he home-plates gold over raw brass and it wears off somewhere between a couple months and half a year. Long after Ebay gives you the option to still post feedback. Maybe not a big deal, but if you are sensitive to raw brass like I am or actually allergic this is potentially very dangerous. Not to mention disingenuous and moderately expensive to remedy if you end up liking the piece. I emailed him to address the issue but got no response. This happened with a piece I bought from him and one a buddy of mine purchased as well. Just wanted to give people a heads up, if this doesn't bother you feel free to give this guy your custom, but this sort of thing doesn't sit well with me.

Over the years I have bought a few mouthpieces from him.

Shipping was always fast.
Item was always exactly as described.

I am not doubting your bad experience with the seller.
I am simply saying that he is not a scam artist.
I would gladly do business with him again.

Mark

1934 H.N. White Circular Alto Horn - Silver - mint
1961 Conn 9A Cornet - Coprion - mint

m'pieces:
White Horn #8
Wick Cornet #2

photos and audio:
https://tenorhornfellow.imgur.com/
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always recommended him. I bought one of his mouthpieces. Before he sent it, he noticed a flaw in it. He contacted me and offered to send a better example. I told him a small flaw was fine. Surprise, he sent both. I've never had any problems with his stuff and have used him for other parts I needed for old horns.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a bad experience. I bought an old Arban cornet mouthpiece which had been gold plated. I have several others of the same type from the same period and upon inspection I could see he had cut off the (probably ragged) bottom and ground down the (probably dented) rim to make it look better. Unfortunately he permanently damaged a piece of history as the mouthpiece doesn't play like the original anymore.

What an idiot. I would avoid him like the plague.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought two Connstellation mpc's from him, which he had plated in gold. Both are holding up fine. The most recent purchase was June 2015. The piece is my daily driver.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy bought a mpc from him that had a gold plated cup and rim. It didn't work well for him so he sold it to me.

Within two months the plating rubbed completely off the rim and shank down to raw brass.

It plays fine for those who enjoy the taste of brass, but I'll have to shell out another $100 to have it replated.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: PSA: Do not buy from Ebay seller Frisco 1227... Reply with quote

TMT wrote:

I ask, Did you contact him? I had issue with a mouthpiece he sold me and wear of the gold plating, and contacted him for help (about 6 months after the sale). He was courteous, offered to replate the piece, asked me to return it. I did so and he did the plating and returned it to me. It isn't a piece I still use daily, but it is in excellent shape and is still gold, with no noticeable wear.

Many sellers will gladly fix issues, if given the chance. No two folks are alike, and no two deals go the same, but my experiences with the man have been good.

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has occasionally used gold-plated (over silver plating) at home with a decent quality home kit
(NOTE: I never sell these pieces without disclosing this! And I never plate them to bump up value, I plate them if I want them in gold for personal use.)

It can be durable, or it can wear off quickly - and it can look every bit as professional as a proper job, or it can look awful.

If you're not applying the gold solution for a long enough period of time, then the layer is going to be thin and it's not going to last very well - coming from an engineering background, I can see all kinds of inconsistencies that could very, very easily creep in (hence not doing this for personal gain, I don't have the time or the interest in working out a set of processes to get reliable results that I'd be happy to be on the buying end of).
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a valve button from this guy a few years ago for my pre K modified Selmer 24b. I had looked for a long time for one to match my other 2 that came with the horn. I always check his ebay store for old/obsolete parts that he has listed. No complaints here. I have not bought any mouthpieces from him, however... Just don't need any more mouthpieces!
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got to agree with the OP.

I purchased a piece from this person over eBay a couple of years ago. The seller lives about 30 minutes from me but refuses to let me go there and try anything, red flag.

I got the piece and unfortunately, it had been replated gold. The plating on the rim wore off almost 100% within 5 months of everyday use. I really liked this mouthpiece, but I started developing an allergy to it and cannot use it anymore. My repair tech buddy confirmed what the OP said; the seller DIY gold plated this mouthpiece with no base plate. Gold over raw brass, which doesn’t stick very well or very long.

Tried to ask the seller about this with no reply.

He sells interesting stuff, just be very careful when purchasing anything gold plated from him ( or just avoid the gold plated stuff).
TMT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, this dude bought up a whole bunch of underparts from a "retired symphony musician" and is reselling them with his diy home-plating. Which is fine (except for the fact it will wear off)...BUT...whereas the original seller/owner was very careful to notate where he'd "dug out" C cups to turn them into B cups, and widened underparts to match his rims, and rounded the inside edge of his C rims, Frisco has been less than diligent about listing which pieces were modified. This fact, coupled with his propensity for replating, means you won't know you're playing a modified piece until the gold wears off. So just keep that in mind.
random_abstract

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of similar experiences and will not buy from him again. Won't get into detail, but one mouthpiece had an altered throat and the other had a shank that had been slightly trimmed. Neither of these alterations were disclosed in the photos or the listing, and both looked like DIY jobs with cheap gold plating over the top.
Robert1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to relay my experiences with eBay seller Frisco 1227. Over many years, I have purchased perhaps 20 or more mouthpieces from him. Many times I have contacted him to ask specific questions about a certain mouthpiece or another. He always replied to me in a courteous and informative manner. He often has very interesting stuff. I have always been very satisfied with the mouthpieces I have purchased from him. In my experience with Frisco 1227, his products have always been as represented, and as I had expected.
TMT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Robert1"]I want to relay my experiences with eBay seller Frisco 1227. Over many years, I have purchased perhaps 20 or more mouthpieces from him. Many times I have contacted him to ask specific questions about a certain mouthpiece or another. He always replied to me in a courteous and informative manner. He often has very interesting stuff. I have always been very satisfied with the mouthpieces I have purchased from him. In my experience with Frisco 1227, his products have always been as represented, and as I had expected.[/quote]

Hello new member who only joined a few days ago for the specific reason of making one single post praising an eBay seller many people have legitimate issues with. Hmmm.

Raw brass can be poisonous, especially to students who don't know this fact, who buy a piece without knowing the crappy plating is going to wear off.
Robert1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TMT, I did become a new member for the specific purpose of responding to the posts about Frisco 1227. Everything I wrote regarding my experiences with Frisco 1227, however, is true. I am sorry that you seem to find it necessary to doubt the validity of my report, simply because I am a new member.
TMT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, if you feel so strongly about a subject--above and beyond all of the other subjects out there--that you create an account in order to post about it, it helps your credibility to say as much. Otherwise, it makes people suspect you might possibly be the person themselves posting anonymously, which couldn't possibly be the case here, right?
Robert1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice, TMT. I did not think that I would need to establish my credibility in order to post about something on Trumpet Herald. My initial post was simply a straightforward reporting of facts. No exaggeration, no hyperbole--nothing more and nothing less than the truth. I understand that certain individuals on this forum are of a suspicious nature. Sorry for their feelings about that, but there is nothing further I can do, except state my experience with the seller Frisco 1227, which I clearly and concisely did.
TMT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: