• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Before I give up on Wedge mp's - suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Before I give up on Wedge mp's - suggestions? Reply with quote

I got this Chuck Findley Wedge wanting to try a Wedge but don't like it. The main issue is I'm very conscious of the inner edge of the rim which feels very squared-off, isn't a comfortable fit at all, it feels like it's being restricted from being seated on my lips, like tissue is being pinned in a weird, unnatural way. I don't know if it's because the curve makes it more of an issue. I can make sound on it but range is nowhere on it, a high C is a struggle. Normally I can kick the crap out of at least an Ab. I've even tried it turned 90 deg as I've seen some people say they use Wedges.

MP's that do feel basically comfortable - Schilke 14A4A, Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead, Bach Commercial 3S, Bach 1C, Stork Custom Vacchiano 2D, Jet-Tone T1A - I know they're all over the map but just as a sampling of the mp's I have.

Anyone tried Wedges and hated one model but really liked another?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys who know Wedge's well (especially Dave, obviously) might be more helpful than I...

To be honest, I tried them a couple of times:
- First time I bought I think three very different tops that one seller on eBay was selling quite cheaply - something like 5a, 10.5c 10.5e, IIRC...
- Next time I bought directly from Dave, thinking I hadn't given them a fair shake, and went with a size that correlated with what I was playing at the time - again, didn't work out.

It's not that I can't play them though (I don't lose range the way you describe) I just couldn't get used to the rim feel either time and I wasn't as consistent as on regular rimmed pieces.

I do wonder whether Wedge's are a bit more sensitive to the size that really fits your face - anecdotally atleast, I felt more sensitive to changes in ID than I would do on regular rims, so perhaps it's important to try a few and find your "Wedge size"?
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, tried the Wedge ( first a smaller size, then a larger ) but after a few weeks of ups and downs I gave up and decided to stick to my Bach size 5. I wanted the Wedge to work, but it never felt right on my chops. I know the Wedge is a super mp for those who swear by it, but it is obviously not for everyone. Rather than returning mine I donated them to youth bands.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of Dave and his brother, I've played Wedge's longer than anyone else. Just like with any other brand, there are sizes that I like and sizes that I don't.
The inner shape of the rim is what really defines whether or not I will like playing the piece. I don't like sloped rims leading into the cup because I have trouble finding my set. I prefer a well defined inner rim.
If it didn't work for you and you explored your options with Dave, then maybe that is your answer. But, it has really been an incredible thing for me.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Wedge mouthpieces for quite a while now. The first 30 seconds of playing were very strange, then it quickly became and stayed easy and comfortable. From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like they're a good fit for you.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Wedge as an excellent training tool during college. My teacher pointed out a frowning issue in my lower register, and the Wedge helped to solidify my corners a lot. Maybe it's not an issue you have.

Is it just chops that don't feel right? Or is it maybe the blow? What backbore are you using?

It also might not be for everyone.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:
Is it just chops that don't feel right? Or is it maybe the blow? What backbore are you using?

Using a stainless 27 backbore.

It just doesn't feel right on my chops, like the pressure points are in the wrong place.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried, for a short time, as I was recovering from having "blown" my chops.

It felt, to me, that the uneven pressure on my chops was pinning different areas of my chops, and could never get comfortable, thus couldn't get passed that sensation to find one that I liked the sound of. Additionally, you have to be very conscious of mouthpiece position- it's orientation to your face. I don't need that extra layer of concern-I have a hard enough time!

To add to your list of more comfortable mouthpieces.. I'd add Curry mouthpieces, specifically his #3 rim. I'd also steer you away from the Schilke 14a4a and the Bach Commercial pieces-extreme mouthpieces designed for very specific needs - I'm NOT a fan. I'm surprised you listed a Bach 1, a large mouthpiece-again nearing the extreme range of sizes and I find has some "bite" to it-or feels that way because of the size and depth of cup.

MOVE ON! There are a pleathura of makers and new designs out there. IMO you can do better.
Curry & Pickett are atop my list.

I play on Curry 3's. I find them very comfortable and consistent (not only in quality but in affect to my play). His "3" is slighlty larger than a Bach 3 but not as big as a Bach 1.5 - with a nice balance of rim, cup, and backbore shapes.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Additionally, you have to be very conscious of mouthpiece position- it's orientation to your face. I don't need that extra layer of concern-I have a hard enough time!

Yes, that's another thing - fiddling with the orientation. If it was comfortable when seated squarely it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
I'd also steer you away from the Schilke 14a4a and the Bach Commercial pieces-extreme mouthpieces designed for very specific needs - I'm NOT a fan. I'm surprised you listed a Bach 1, a large mouthpiece-again nearing the extreme range of sizes and I find has some "bite" to it-or feels that way because of the size and depth of cup.

Once upon a time I didn't get along with Bach pieces at all. I have somewhat full lips that aren't particularly well-suited to trumpet and it was a long struggle for *any* mp to feel right. After a long evolution of the mechanics of how I set up and play I've gotten to where the Bachs feel pretty decent.

The 14A4A and the Bach Commercial both aid the high end, give a big sound and allow a decent bottom end, I'd say the Bach Commercial even more so. This is the only Bach Commercial model I've tried - totally different animal than traditional Bachs. I got it out of curiosity when a forum member said he cut his lip on one, previously I'd never heard of them. I haven't had any such issue with it. My conclusion is there's something really dysfunctional about his setup.

Neither aids the high range as much as the Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead but the Shew piece yields a smaller sound and the very bottom of the horn is harder to get with it.

Quote:
I play on Curry 3's. I find them very comfortable and consistent (not only in quality but in affect to my play). His "3" is slighlty larger than a Bach 3 but not as big as a Bach 1.5 - with a nice balance of rim, cup, and backbore shapes.

Thanks for the tip, I don't think I've ever tried a Curry, I just might give one a shot.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: