• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1 piece vs. 2 piece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: 1 piece vs. 2 piece Reply with quote

This is not really a question nor a poll, but an observation of my experience and curiosity of what other's might be...

In an effort to have the ability to change backbores but keep the rim and cup that I like, I have picked up 2 piece versions of my mouthpiece(s), BUT have found that in most, if not all, cases I prefer the sound and playability of the 1 piece over the 2 piece (same rim, cup, and backbore in side-by-side comparisons) The only difference is the ability to take them apart.

Not only with the Curry pieces I play now, but other brands/makers, all modifications made by the mouthpiece company or a reputable craftsman.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, this is something I've noticed at times too - there's a definite difference in response and feedback, though I'm not completely convinced it's obvious from "out front".

Having said that, if I feel more comfortable and hear myself better without the audience noticing any difference at all, I'd be mad not to want that surely?
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: One piece Reply with quote

Hello all,
I would have to ask if the gap is the same from the two piece to the one piece.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
have you been at ITG this year and been able to try the new Marcinkiewicz 2 pieces mpcs ?
thanks
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Warburtons for years. I clock the pieces and they work fine for me.

Pete
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: One piece Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I would have to ask if the gap is the same from the two piece to the one piece.

nope. Gap the same.. all things equal except for 1 piece vs. 2 piece (Warburton style)

Quote:
I've been playing Warburtons for years. I clock the pieces and they work fine for me.

Pete

I'm not saying they don't work, just that, with all other aspects equal, I notice a difference and prefer the same mouthpiece in a 1 piece design.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not crazy. There is a difference in how multi-piece mouthpieces play compared to a single-piece. As you move away from a single, solid piece of metal you begin to loose efficiency somewhat. Interchangeable rims, cups, backbones, gap sleeves, etc can be a way to find what you like (or at least experiment), but once you find something that works it will probably work better in a one-piece. Many people will permanently solder a Reeves Sleeve to a given mouthpiece after finding the one that works best in whatever horn for this reason...
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
No, you are not crazy. There is a difference in how multi-piece mouthpieces play compared to a single-piece. As you move away from a single, solid piece of metal you begin to loose efficiency somewhat. Interchangeable rims, cups, backbones, gap sleeves, etc can be a way to find what you like (or at least experiment), but once you find something that works it will probably work better in a one-piece. Many people will permanently solder a Reeves Sleeve to a given mouthpiece after finding the one that works best in whatever horn for this reason...

Makes a lot of sense. Good post Joe.

After reading the O/P the first thought which hit me was.

"Of course the single piece will have some advantages. After all aren't those huge weighted "mega-tone" mouthpieces designed specifically to solidify the mouthpiece structure?

For some reason I want to select the term. "Stationary inertia". This basic and fundamental law was outlined and explained by Newton. Is the famous second half of Newton's law.

A. "An object in motion has the tendency to stay in motion unless some other force. Here with the soldering of the selected rims, back-bore etc we see the second half or,

B. "An object at rest has a tendency to stay at rest until some other force is exerted on the object".

We can also infer from part "B" that the greater the weight of "B" is the more it will resist being moved.

Or on the case of "A "?

The more it ("A") will resist the effect put upon it by an outside source.

Thus applying this theory to mouthpieces? Go ahead and compare the solid piece to the two or three piece mouthpieces.

However I'll just bet that the three piece item rattles. Also I'm gonna go out on a limb here and state that although the manufacturer insists that his three or two piece cup is of the finest quality? I'll bet that not everything lines up dead perfect every time. If only the easily noticed discrepancy between the bottom of the cup's bowl and the size of the throat.

Shucks , since the width size of the throat is changeable? Then it only stands to reason that the cup can not line up dead perfect with every throat.

Goodness! Sometimes I think that these kinds of posts may even add to the confusion. Without the least intending it..

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something i've experienced myself and with Curry pieces, just like you. The very same mouthpiece plays diffeent in 1 piece Vs 2 piece configuration. Not sure what i like best, but there is a difference on my side.
I must add that the very same piece plays VERY different in various blank configuration. A Curry heavy blank is a totally different mouthpice than a Curry standard piece or Blackjack and since i have all my mouthpieces cut for Reeves sleeves no, is not gap related.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
I must add that the very same piece plays VERY different in various blank configuration.
+1...this was my first thought- I've played G. Black and Warburton pieces (both 1 and 2 piece)
and noticed there is a slight difference in weight. Black tops are visually different then the one
piece design, which might account for this, and the response...everything affects everything.
Now I'm curious and will test this theory after work!
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall this being a basic tenet of GR Mouthpieces:

any separations of the mouthpiece structure creates discontinuities.

These are probably not his exact words, I didn't look at his webpage, but I do remember posts/discussions about the concept and I hope I have relayed the concept accurately.

I believe this information can be found on grmouthpieces.com
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both one piece and two piece. I just happened to have a grest two-piece mouthpiece for me, so I prefer it.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like anything...some things work for some folks, and some things don't.

I've used two piece mouthpieces for years (Greg Black, followed by Pickett, and now Parke). I play professionally and teach at a college...they work just fine for me.

I tend to focus less on how the mouthpieces play individually (as well as compared to others), and more on what I sound like when I play them. For me, the Parkes have been incredible.

I have both one piece and two piece models, and the difference is negligible. But, with anything, your mileage may vary. I always suggest to worry less about the equipment though, and more on just sounding the way you want to sound!
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about a year ago, Ivan Hunter, of JaegerBrass, posted an interesting article about some of the manufacturing advantages and acoustic disadvantages of multi-part mouthpieces: http://www.jaegerbrass.com/Blo/Entries/2017/6/multi-part-mouthpieces-1.html

Perhaps this will shed some light on what the OP has experienced between 'dialed-in' one-piece mouthpieces and the analogous parts assembled through two-part configurations.

Happy buzzzzzzing!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: