• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi vs Shilke Eb/D Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that gets forgotten far too often. If you buy an instrument that has had one (or more) previous owners, the instrument was purchased new, then sold or traded to either you or someone else who rejected it, and sold it off to you. Occasionally, great horns show up for sale. Sometimes, good horns, but with some shortcomings, show up for sale. Often, average horns with the need for refinements show up available. Sometimes, horrible horns show up and the best thing to do is to either not buy them, or get rid of them ASAP.

I buy used horns I try and know I can make better. If a horn has a shortcoming I cannot fix, it goes immediately. If I think I can fix it, I keep it and fix it. If a horn is otherwise perfect (finish, looks) but needs a leadpipe replacement or some other adjustment, I will weight the purchase price against what the horn will be worth if corrected, and go from there.

My current large bore Bach Bb with a 72 bell came to me second hand, and I put a Malone MB2 leadpipe on it, which took it to superb status. The leadpipe on it was fine, but the Malone made it cook. The Bach 72 bell is the most colorful, most complex sound of all Bach bells, and my personal favorite. I have a 37 and a 43* bell horn, and they are tremendous as well, but the 72 just fits my orchestral and solo work, and is my go-to, everyday horn.

Just consider that every horn has it's good and bad qualities, and compromises in design. Finding "the" horn for you means first that your playing is in top condition, you are fundamentally sound, and that you are ready to evaluate the instrument you play, not your playing, to adjust the tool. We all have tools we have purchased and used daily, and others we have never used beyond the initial purchase. Make sure your decision for selecting an instrument considers all the aspects, and remember that a new horn is your one great chance to purchase exactly the instrument you want, and not compromise for a used instrument with inconsistencies the prior owner has already found.

Good luck with your Eb/D quest. You might try the new Bachs, as they are pretty outstanding.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Daniel's Activity Reply with quote

Richard A wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that Daniel made his original post in this thread nine years ago. Daniel, if you're reading this, let us know if you bought an Eb and if you did, what did you buy?

Daniel doesn't seem to have posted anything for several years

Yes, but with so few total posts over such a long period of years (with long periods of not posting at all), I think there is a good chance he still reads the forum.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
One thing that gets forgotten far too often. If you buy an instrument that has had one (or more) previous owners, the instrument was purchased new, then sold or traded to either you or someone else who rejected it, and sold it off to you.

Not necessarily. In the case of specialized horns (Eb, D and Pics among others), it can be a case of someone having a horn they love to play but not being in a position to play and make use of that horn. Ask my E3L-4. If it stays in that dark closet much longer it's going to turn into a Morlock. Or the Yamaha Eb Cornet I sold recently to the Indiana University Brass Band which was purchased just in time for them to use it in the 2018 North American Brass Band Championships in Fort Wayne, Indiana this past April. It's quite happy now (and so are they).

Cheers,

John
khuelsman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Go Schilke Reply with quote

I’ve had an E3L Schilke for 15 yrs. great intonation.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone coming here for an opinion...

I used a Stomvi Elite Eb/D for a few excerpts on a jury and for 2 pieces on my senior recital and it's easily one of my favorite horns I've ever used. Everything about it was easy and it had a fantastic sound. There was no problem in making it sound orchestral or soloistic. It's a great horn with a nice price, I highly recommend it.

Now, I haven't tried a Schilke Eb/D and I plan on buying a Shires Eb/D (because Shires trumpets are, to me, the best I've ever played) once I've saved the money so take that for what it's worth.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: