• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Import fees/taxes to US from horn purchased in Germany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Import fees/taxes to US from horn purchased in Germany Reply with quote

Hi All,

Slightly off topic but does anyone have experience purchasing a horn from a German store that was shipped to US? If so what was the import/taxes applied?

Cheers,
Marc
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Import fees/taxes to US from horn purchased in Germany Reply with quote

StartingUpAgainAt53 wrote:
Hi All,

Slightly off topic but does anyone have experience purchasing a horn from a German store that was shipped to US? If so what was the import/taxes applied?

Cheers,
Marc

In my experience, extremely hit or miss. It appears that many in the U.S. system either don't know or don't care about import duties. You could pay none but then get nailed by a zealot and pay the full customs.

If you don't know what that cost is, check online (autonomously).

At any rate, though, know that if you buy an item within Germany for German use, you pay VAT tax but if it's exported from Germany, either you simply don't pay up front or, after filling out the proper paperwork, you can get VAT refunded to you. Have you asked the seller?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 45 years as a customs broker, your best bet is to talk to customs in the port you expect to import in.
You must have a valid invoice with the price you actually paid for it. Don't think you can buy a $5000 German trumpet and say you paid $500 for it. Customs knows how much things cost.
You don't say how it will be shipped, but if it comes through the mail, it will be looked at by a customs expert before it is released.
The import duty into the US will be 2.9%. We have no VAT here and you do not pay duty on the freight charges, either.
You may also need the services of a customs broker which will add considerably to your end cost.
Shipping through FedEx or UPS can be a real crap shoot. Sometimes things go through them easily, other times I've had to step in to straighten out a big mess.
Make sure you seek advice from US Customs. They will assist you.
R. Tomasek
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally just bought an old beat up horn from Frankfurt, Germany.
I hope the seller lables this item appropriately for customs.

The item is a damaged old antique "wall hanger" horn that I plan to restore, surely customs will just the the item as it is and not charge me extra for importing fees?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the seller to designate the cost as next to nothing.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehulani, what you just advised is very illegal and a good way to have the shipment seized by US Customs. I dealt with issues like this dozens of times and they usually don't work out well. You and your shipper will be put on a watch list for any future endeavors. Even if you never buy anything again from overseas, you will be monitored. The shipper will also be watched as well. If you're lucky, the horn will be reassessed in value and passed on to you with its proper duty.
As I stated, US Customs knows the value of everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: