• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where is the best place to find old Conn 22b parts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowjam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Where is the best place to find old Conn 22b parts? Reply with quote

First time poster, long time reader... I have learned so much over the years from your site and thank you for being there with the advise I needed.

Well after reading so many positive things about the old Conn 22B's my son sought out and played one at a NYSMA Competition in May. He loved it, came home and started searching to buy one.
It was not his intention, but he now has a project horn. It is a nice silver plated 1946 Conn 22b, serial number is 357xxx. We have not played it yet as the valves have a lot of resistance and are not coming up fully and the main tuning slide looks like it was dropped and kicked down twenty flights of stairs!
I'll let our local Brass expert inspect and repair the valves next paycheck, but where can I find a replacement tuning slide for it?
Specs are silver plated Conn 22B so bore is .438, serial # is 357xxx making it 1946.
Thanks for your help!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts horns. Ebay, craigslist, pawn shops, etc.
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These horns are so common and abundant that your brass tech should have several parts scrapped for use.

Otherwise, for parts and repair ones usually pop up on eBay.
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless this particular 22B holds significant sentimental value, you may be money ahead by finding a pristine example for sale and buy that one. Nice 22Bs and other great Conn instruments from the past pop up fairly often, and are usually had for less than other instruments of similar vintage.
snowjam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Parts on 22b Reply with quote

I actually had some success with the valves.

I sprayed on a, don't cringe, home brew penetrant solution I have used for years (50/50 ATF & denatured alchol). After a 10 minute soak, valves 1 and 3 slid right out and suprising look fantastic with no issues. 2 is a mess.

Under closer inspection of valve 2 from below, I spotted that it was out of round. Also noticed it had no downward resistance so I took off the top valve cap and the valve easily came out the bottom. It's valve stem however is spinning freely in the valve, does not tighten and has 1/4" movement right to left.

I have not gone to the repair shop yet as its on the otherside of town. Do you know how the stem is attached in the valve? I would think it would be theaded into a piece soldered to the underside of the valve but I can't find a cut-a-way diagram of a valve online.

Thanks for your help on the valve design as I decide if I'm keeping this horn. No sentimental attachment here, if the final repair estimates come in very high, its done.

Best regards!
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn made tens of thousands of the 22B. I'm in agreement w/steevo: Find one in good shape to start with and work from there.
https://yourbrass.com/
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 22b’s in good condition are fairly easy to find. From an investment standpoint the cost of a basic restoration would substantially exceed the end value. However, if it’s the instrument for you and you have the discretionary funds, there’s nothing wrong with fixing one up and playing it. Just realize the return won’t be monetary.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what I did, collect every 22-B you can, and cannibalize parts.

I got 8 good horns. out 12 cadavers.

And I will stand by, I did the best I could, with what I had to work with.

Biggest issue, first valve. OMG, are these worn out or what?

#2 Leadpipe rot.

3. Dents and dings. WTF were the people playing these horns thinking?
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Tenor Horn Fellow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to find old con parts is the cemetery next to the prison.

The best place to find old king parts is the cemetery next to the palace.

(This is what happens when I post one hour after taking my pain medicine)

Mark

1934 H.N. White Circular Alto Horn - Silver - mint
1961 Conn 9A Cornet - Coprion - mint

m'pieces:
White Horn #8
Wick Cornet #2

photos and audio:
https://tenorhornfellow.imgur.com/
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get in touch with Charmaine Snow n FB. Sha has a huge inventory of vintage horns parts. She's also the administrator of the FB group ''Obsolete brass and hybrid horns''.

What do you need exactly? Not sure but I think I have some 12B parts here. 12B was the same horn than 22B except the bell who was a copper one.

Good luck! JO

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also know Josh Landress recently bought many incomplete Conn trumpets and separate parts, but I assume he won't sell those and use them for his own projects.

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
vertrni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it a good investment to get a parts horn for a good horn you have and use all of the time.
snowjam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Parts on 22b - main tuning slide Reply with quote

Back on the hunt again... we have the valves working beautifully! Issue now is that the main tuning slide has two holes which are on opposite sides but to close to each other to hold a normal repair.
I didn't find any old parts in the cemetery next to the prison hahahaha.
Anyone have a stash of Conn '46 22B tuning slides? My sons is an okay looking silver plated horn but i think he'll take anything at this point.

Its been a fun rebuild, thanks again for heading us in the right direction!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: