• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpets as carry-on luggage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CartersPop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a wonderful thought that others here may appreciate. I have a pair of carry-on SkyRolls, one without and one with wheels (slightly bigger inside volume). Both are about 24" long and would be ideal to carry on a trumpet or cornet inside the inner hard case, wrapped in soft clothing to fill the rest of the space. You can also then put any flat clothes in the garment bag which wraps around the inner case. Both are carry on accepted by airlines but way better than any standard rolling carry-on typically seen in airports these days. Can be found at skyroll.com but also at Mens Wearhouse, where you might find a buy-one-get-one deal which can effectively drop the price in half if you can use two (or know a friend who wants one). I used one a couple years ago to carry three kilts and associate kit with me to a golf trip to Scotland, and was able to take my good digital camera and lenses safely inside the hard-side inner tube-like section (kinda like the leather torpedoes).
If somebody tries it please let us know how it works.
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

United infuriates me. Watched from the plane window as a big downpour hit when they were loading the luggage, and they just left everyone's bags there running for cover. Got to my destination with rather wet luggage except for what was in my carryon, and the trumpet case I was forced to check was as soggy as could be. Horn was fine at least

Yeah, I did that!
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never check an instrument you care about or need for a gig. I use a small protec case and fill the compartment with personal stuff. On most planes you can put it under the seat in front of you if not the overhead bin. We see baggage carelessly tossed around everyday at work. The airline doesn’t matter. A good trick to avoid gate agent and Flight Attendant issues is to wear the shoulder strap and have case position behind you and out of frontal view. Smile and ask how it’s going today. 😎 Bill (airline pilot)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
A good trick to avoid gate agent and Flight Attendant issues is to wear the shoulder strap and have case position behind you and out of frontal view. Smile and ask how it’s going today.

That's exactly what I have done on many, many flights. That and carrying yourself as a professional has worked every time.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
rockford wrote:
A good trick to avoid gate agent and Flight Attendant issues is to wear the shoulder strap and have case position behind you and out of frontal view. Smile and ask how it’s going today.

That's exactly what I have done on many, many flights. That and carrying yourself as a professional has worked every time.

You mentioned the "professional" in an earlier comment. I wonder what you really mean by that. I assume a professional musician. But there are many genres of professional musicians that have distasteful and off-putting behaviors.

I personally try for pleasant, respectful and polite.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given these definitions from the dictionary, if someone says to "act professional" I always think of the bolded part. I suppose you can argue semantics and if acting like a jerk and throwing temper-tantrums is a profession... (NOT saying you are doing that!)

Definition of professional
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs a professional golfer
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career a professional soldier
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return professional football
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession a professional patriot
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
You mentioned the "professional" in an earlier comment. I wonder what you really mean by that. I assume a professional musician. But there are many genres of professional musicians that have distasteful and off-putting behaviors.

I realize that. I don't think there's a "norm" or standard. But for me, I just try to act confident and courteous and not like some jive, cocky person.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Given these definitions from the dictionary, if someone says to "act professional" I always think of the bolded part. I suppose you can argue semantics and if acting like a jerk and throwing temper-tantrums is a profession... (NOT saying you are doing that!)

Definition of professional
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs a professional golfer
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career a professional soldier
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return professional football
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession a professional patriot

I too go the secondary definition, rather than the primary. I also suspect that anyone who understands Kehaulani’s post the way you and I did aren’t the ones who need the advice.

But at the end of the day I suspect the professional behavior of the gate agent is more important.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build myself a bullet proof flightcase for my horn. I don't trust the guys who take care of luggage in aeroplanes since I know a few of them
milanos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------

Last edited by milanos on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanos wrote:
Well, we have to make five forum posts before we can post in the marketplace, so we'll just second the recommendation for the Stomvi quad case. It's great for flying!

Really????

Why not create a new thread in the Lounge introducing yourselves and what you offer to the community? Become part of the community.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
milanos wrote:
Well, we have to make five forum posts before we can post in the marketplace, so we'll just second the recommendation for the Stomvi quad case. It's great for flying!

Really????

Why not create a new thread in the Lounge introducing yourselves and what you offer to the community? Become part of the community.

Because apparently milanos feels it's better to just make five posts and then list items in our Marketplace so their items can remain unsold month after month just like most if not all the other items placed by five-post-wonder-types. I have to admit though, the indignant attitude about actually having to post five posts to be able to list things for free where thousands can potentially see said items is a new low around here.

To the OP:

I have traveled internationally for twenty years with my horns successfully (no damage ever). I always bring the horns as carry-ons (never as checked luggage). When traveling with my Bb, Flügelhorn and Pic I use a Reunion Blues Leather Triple Bag which is no longer made by Reunion Blues, but an even better version is available from Glenn Cronkhite, the original designer of the Reunion Blues bags back when they were made in San Fransisco (as opposed to China where they are made today).

https://glenncronkhite.com/product/triple-trumpet/

https://glenncronkhite.com/product-category/trumpetbags/

The Triple Trumpet bag holds either two Bb horns and a pic, or a Bb, normal sized Flügelhorn and a Pic and most important, it will fit under the seat in front of you on an airplane.

When I travel with just one horn I bring it in my fairly bulletproof Walt Johnson single (hard) case. Unfortunately the Walt Johnson cases are no longer being made. Of note, if you travel with your horn in a soft case be very careful regarding putting it in an overhead bin. I have had experiences where I put a soft case in the overhead and then have had to intervene when another passenger - or even a flight attendant - suddenly starts trying to muscle in a suitcase and starts crushing my case. Fortunately I have been able to react quickly enough to prevent any damage, but now I don't put soft cases in the overhead.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
A good trick to avoid gate agent and Flight Attendant issues is to wear the shoulder strap and have case position behind you and out of frontal view. Smile and ask how it’s going today. 😎 Bill (airline pilot)

Been doing that for more than thirty years!
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an expensive pocket trumpet that I carry on in an inexpensive soft carry case that can fold into L shape with the trumpet and practice mute. That goes into my backpack and fits under the seat or overhead.

It's really easy and you never have to worry about it getting checked under the plane.
Howie Schneider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been utilizing air travel for years and have never had a problem with my carryon trumpet as long as it fit into the overhead storage and were within the airlines height/weight restrictions. Most standard trumpet cases fit their requirements. Airlines usually allow carryons that fit underneath the seat in front of you two. Thus a pocket trumpet would fit that bill is a small case.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

To the OP:

I have traveled internationally for twenty years with my horns successfully (no damage ever). I always bring the horns as carry-ons (never as checked luggage). When traveling with my Bb, Flügelhorn and Pic I use a Reunion Blues Leather Triple Bag which is no longer made by Reunion Blues, but an even better version is available from Glenn Cronkhite, the original designer of the Reunion Blues bags back when they were made in San Fransisco

I have had this same bag (if it's the "Triple" and not the "Super Triple") since 1985 and it always goes carry-on.

There have been two or three times since 1973 that I've had to take all the horns out of my carry-on case and demonstrate to a customs agent or other screeners that all of the valves and slides were free of contraband by playing thru each valve.

After the first experience where I just blew thru each valve, I came up with possible Airport Excerpts -- something ultra short that you can play without any warmup and that will get applause (and cheers).

-Denny
cameronmilligan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 years of flying to gigs and I've never had trouble fitting my case in an overhead. Sometimes the airline clerk has challenged me on the size and I always tell them that it won't be an issue and imboard with it anyways. Even in smaller planes I've had no problems fitting it in. Once I had my flugelhorn in a separate case and united made me "gate check" it. They lost it, of course, and I had to do the gig without it.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
milanos wrote:

Really????

Milanos, maybe you noticed that you can edit your own posts, but not when someone else quotes you.

It’s now more doubtful that anyone is going to buy whatever you want to sell. This has nothing to do with new members here, or TH being a “clique”, it has everything to do with trust in the marketplace here.

And before someone says “....five posts? So what, there are no guarantees!!” No, there aren’t, it’s about better odds.

Brad
jpwol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody !

I need some advice please: I take plane in May with C trumpet, cornet and piccolo , and I don't know what case I need to buy... i have a M.Bonna quad that don't fit as carry on luggage I think.

I wanted to buy a Torpedo Coyote until I learn it wasn't made anymore, and the Wiseman Triple has a waiting list until June... maybe a Cronkhite triple bag ? But less protection I guess... I am quite lost!

Thanks !
JP
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpwol wrote:
Hi everybody !

I need some advice please: I take plane in May with C trumpet, cornet and piccolo , and I don't know what case I need to buy... i have a M.Bonna quad that don't fit as carry on luggage I think.

I wanted to buy a Torpedo Coyote until I learn it wasn't made anymore, and the Wiseman Triple has a waiting list until June... maybe a Cronkhite triple bag ? But less protection I guess... I am quite lost!

Thanks !
JP

I've flown lots of miles with the equivalent of a Cronkite triple (a mid-'80s Reunion Blues Triple) with two tpts and a picc -- as carry on.
I had a friend who flew to a major audition and had one of his horns -- in a super-sturdy multi-case -- damaged by TSA inspection and their incorrect repacking of the case

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: