• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horns with a sizzling/burning sound for rock & soul band

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Calicchio 1s bell being a sizzler, I love mine! But I'm also a
Benge nut and if you find a good one, it's hard to compare. For me, the 2x+
is the perfect horn for that work...
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Calicchio 1s/2 and the Benge 2X were designed for this purpose. There are certainly other horns that go this direction as well but the Calicchio 1s/2 and the Benge 2X are the quintessential "flamethrower" horns. If you play either of those two and you feel they aren't bright/cutting enough then it's doubtful anything else will improve your situation to any significant degree.

A Calicchio 1s/2 is comparatively easy to find. The Burbank Benge Model 2X is very rare. Benge continued to make the model 2X after the move to Los Angeles but this model is still not common even in Los Angeles horns and I have no first hand knowledge of how the Los Angeles 2X compares to the Burbank 2X.

The safest and most available bet: Calicchio 1s/2.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth getting a Calicchio for the novelty factor alone, totally unlike anything else I have come across, all your friends will love it. Whether you choose to stick with it is another thing..
#7 pipe
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gigs sound similar to yours. Of my three main horns that I use with a similar band, for me, my LA Benge 3X+ MLP is the brightest and most “cutting”, my WT is more of a firehose than a laser; it definitely projects over the amps in the band but without quite as much edge, and my Olds Recording is somewhere between those two. The Recording is a surprisingly great playing horn, in my opinion, those older Olds are some excellent instruments.

And of course, there are many other horns that would work for you, this is just my experience with these particular three horns. I try not to be one of those guys who swear that what works for me would necessarily work for the next guy, this is just my experience. And BTW: in my opinion, a larger bore is not necessarily “more difficult to play”, in fact I happen to think that while bore size is just one of many factors, a larger horn CAN be more efficient in that it might not shut down on you as quickly as a smaller bore might. That’s MIGHT; YMMV!

Brad
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seen J Mohan go big and high .on his Benge . Have seen Bach -Again and J Manley do the same on there Stomvis. I had a Calicchio 1s7 and a Stomvi s3 and both are really good horns. Sold both , huge mistake out of range frustration. Its not the horn . But the horns above are great horns.Iif i ever get a good deal on a 1s7 again i will keep it this time. Not like cars, they seem to appreciate or hold there value.

mark
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my favorite burners:

Schilke B3
Holton 302-MF
Bach Commercial ML

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE LYNNZHORN OF COURSE!! Of the horns mentioned, my favorites are the Schilke B6..LOVE this horn..at least the ones I’ve played. Incredible versatility..free blow…very cutting, effortless lead sound with a lead piece. The old CG models (haven’t tried the new version mentioned). Benge 2x and 3X+ MLP. The limited amount of time I was able to play my friend’s Callet Superchops horn…definitely a burning lead-without-a-mic..and/or lead w. loud electronics horn. It was a number of years back, but I remember trying to get the horn working for small group jazz on the mouthpiece end, and it still was too ‘direct’ for me. Maybe I could get it working nowadays (I didn’t play nearly as efficiently back then).. but I also remember playing one of the copper-insulated Callet JAZZ horns…that horn had an absolutely wonderful darker jazz sound full of overtones.. As other players have stated, maybe the Calicchio 1S/2 or 7 is the ‘industry standard’ for this type of playing, especially for studio recording work..Actually haven’t played one of these yet. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Hudson08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this thread is getting stretched pretty thin but for what it's worth, the Kanstul that Wayne Bergeron played (might be one of the 15xx models on your list) before switching to Yamaha is a burner! Lightning fast response and can do the mellow jazz thing as well. Seriously worth looking into. The Yamaha LA, Bergeron's current horn, is also a great. It can sizzle if you want it to but I find it more of an all-rounder, without so much sizzle as the Kanstul.

Have fun in the hunt!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my Getzen Eterna Severinsen model that I bought in 1975 and sold in 1983. It was free-blowing and had a lot of sizzle, too much for my classical trumpet teacher who convinced me to get another horn. Now I have a reversed-leadpipe Bach that has nice response and a lot of core and color in the sound, but getting it to sizzle takes a lot of work. Still kicking myself thirty-five years later for selling the Getzen.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much has already been said. As always, one size definitely does not fit all. With that said, here goes my personal take.

I have played my Benge 5X in more diverse situations than any horn I own, mostly because for many years it was my only horn. Big Band Lead, yes. Classic Horn Rock and Roll, yes. Outdoor large venue festivals and such, a most definite yes! Small room and Church, only if I had to.

There was a period in which I played a lot of Latin bands gigs, indoors and out. I bought a very early edition Yamaha 6335s specifically for those gigs, and it did the job in spectacular fashion. For small rooms and Church, the Yamaha works well with a different approach and mouthpiece tweak.

I researched and purchased my Bach NY7 for my current needs which is more heavily weighted on Classical, Chamber, Symphony Orchestra, Church Brass Ensemble and Brass Quintet. Would it work in those other stated situations, you bet, but now I have a choice of several precision tools for specific applications. Mouthpiece selection and physical approach has become much more critical than horn choice in pretty much every situation.

If I were in the OP's position today, didn't have the horns that I already have and was not pressed for an immediate decision, I would play as many different horns and/or mouthpiece combos, soliciting feedback from my peers as I could on the specific job until I found the fit. For me, the practice of buying and burning horns has never been a luxury that I could actually live, so I tried to choose the best for my situation and learn the ins and outs of making it a chameleon.

My $.02, FWIW!

Best Wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arriving late to the party, but I would urge you not to overlook the Olds Studio or the Olds Super. Both of those have plenty of sizzle. When you really step on the gas, you can burn rubber!
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I miss my Getzen Eterna Severinsen model that I bought in 1975 and sold in 1983. It was free-blowing and had a lot of sizzle, too much for my classical trumpet teacher who convinced me to get another horn. Now I have a reversed-leadpipe Bach that has nice response and a lot of core and color in the sound, but getting it to sizzle takes a lot of work. Still kicking myself thirty-five years later for selling the Getzen.

I can second this opinion about the 1970s Severinsen Getzens, but specifically, the large-bore version. It doesn't work for everything, but for lead, latin and commercial playing where I need to play high and loud with less work it is the best fit for me, and I've had dozens of the horns mentioned previously in this thread.

This is the model played by the late, great studio lead trumpeter Johnny Audino.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for a 1970's Getzen Eterna 'Severinsen Model'. The horn not only brings the sizzle, it has LASER-like projection. Peel the paint off the back of the auditorium at no extra charge!!

Link

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pro horn was an early '70's Eterna/Severinsen trumpet. You can usually find good ones from that era on eBay for decent prices :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

This is the model played by the late, great studio lead trumpeter Johnny Audino.

I believe Snooky Young also played on a Getzen Eterna when he was with the Tonight Show band.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:
Another vote for a 1970's Getzen Eterna 'Severinsen Model'. The horn not only brings the sizzle, it has LASER-like projection. Peel the paint off the back of the auditorium at no extra charge!!

Link

Hmmm...hard to argue with that after hearing Doc..wow! Pure class..thanks
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
markp wrote:

I believe Snooky Young also played on a Getzen Eterna when he was with the Tonight Show band.

Snooky also played a Conn Connstellation 38B, I'm not sure when. But I've heard the Kanstul 991 'Mariachi' is supposed to be a copy of Snooky's Conn. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
spitvalve wrote:
markp wrote:

Snooky also played a Conn Connstellation 38B, I'm not sure when. But I've heard the Kanstul 991 'Mariachi' is supposed to be a copy of Snooky's Conn. Best, Lex

Here he's playing a gold-plated Eterna with custom engraving on the bell. This was 1989, long after Doc left Getzen.

Link

Here's a better view of the horn, same year.

Link

1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: