• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Widening aperture for hitting high

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
I play from pedal C to G above high C and change nothing but the compression of air

That is incorrect.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
I don't like that concept. I think a player must be relaxed to play in the upper register. The aperture shouldn't change at all, if aperture means opening in the lips where the air passes through. I play from pedal C to G above high C and change nothing but the compression of air, Nobody is talking about " big" but open. I think Bsbby Shew holds to the concept I'm talking about. Also keeping the moral cavity and throat with relaxed open feel. Temperature shouldn't change.

What are you using to compress the air?

I get what you're trying to say (I think). Unfortunately, statements that you simply "compress the air" to play higher give less-developed players a false notion of what it takes to play in the upper register: it translates to them as "blow harder" or "squeeze the chest muscles" or any manner of oddball things that lead them to desparation. Hence my question.

The idea of contracting the embouchure muscles into the cup at least leads students to developing the proper lip set to be able to resist the air power it does take to play higher.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: