• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bb/ C Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Bb/ C Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi

I am thinking about getting ine of these for the rare occasions I have to play in a classical orchestra setting.

Are some any good ?
I have seen Bachs, Yamahas.....

Thanks
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old Getzen made Canadian Brass CB610 that is actually a pretty decent horn for both Bb and C. It works well for the very rare occasions when I need a C trumpet. This horn plays on the bright side, so I need to make sure I'm using a deeper mouthpiece in order to blend with the other C Trumpets.

I have never played any other Bb/C horns, so I can't speak for how they would work. Other players who I've talked to say that most tend to be better in one key than the other...hopefully others here on TH will be able to help with some specifics.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of the execrable Amati Bb/Cs about 15 years ago. I would just keep your eye out for a used C. What is your budget? Do you already have a Bb? I've also heard people say C has a learning curve, so I'd think you'd want to try on a better instrument.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a very usable and inexpensive Chinese C on Ebay for under $300. Has great sound, nice silver plating, valves are quick and buttery. The only issue I've become aware of is it's built a bit flat overall - pretty much have to have the main slide pulled all the way in to be on pitch, which I attribute to the mouthpiece receiver - I discovered it has a very large gap. At some point I'll either move the receiver in a bit to close the gap or maybe have it reamed out a tad. I don't currently play in an orchestra so it's not crucial. It's in tune with itself.

The recording gear and environment aren't ideal but this is the horn in question. The image on the video isn't the horn being played, it's a photo from elsewhere.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the Kanstul 1410 Bb/C Convertible. It was designed for the European conservatory student market, but is available here in the States.

It's a fine instrument with outstanding intonation in both configurations. The bell was designed in the last years of Olds by Dale Olsen. Zig bought the mandrel at auction and built this model around it about 2010 of so.

If you are primarily going to use it as a Bb instrument, understand it feels a bit odd to play. Slotting is good, but unique and hard to describe. The C configuration is very good, if a bit brighter than the normal choices.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a C trumpet and a double case? A B flat/C trumpet is just a C trumpet with B flat slides, and unless you absolutely must have instruments in both keys and absolutely cannot have two trumpets (and absolutely always will have time to screw around with changing the slides), there's just not much point.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t tried the Kanstul, but most Bb/C trumpets have a fairly poor reputation. It’s not always justified (my Selmer Radial is good in either configuration), but the common device of only an H-shaped tuning slide isn’t highly regarded. It was good enough for Selmer, and also for Aubertin, but still gets little respect. On the other hand, I have a Courtois 216 which shares specifications with the Bb equivalent, and comes with first, third, and tuning slides to convert from C to Bb. There’s no hint of compromise in the result. Unfortunately most convertible trumpets are made the way they are simply as a way to cover the needs as economically as possible, and the result can be disappointing in one of the configurations. But it’s possible to approach the problem several ways (think of the rotary valve switching on one or more slides of some vintage cornets). My advice is to test any prospective horn in both tunings, with a tuner, and determine for yourself if the intonation and other aspects of performance are good enough for your needs.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
Why not a C trumpet and a double case? A B flat/C trumpet is just a C trumpet with B flat slides, and unless you absolutely must have instruments in both keys and absolutely cannot have two trumpets (and absolutely always will have time to screw around with changing the slides), there's just not much point.

There you go. Nonsense eliminated.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Nonsense Eliminator wrote:

There you go. Nonsense eliminated.

I own a kanstul pic that has crooks, leadpipes and bells to allow it to be configured in Bb, A or G. NE’s point about time required to do a change is something to pay attention to. I would only try to change over during an intermission and only if there were no other options.

In the OP’s case this means you have an option to play C for the concert or play Bb. Not interchangeably.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use one or the other and learn to transpose. Not a big deal, it is just a whole step either up or down. I have used both C's and Bb's in this manner. That is, if you only occasionally need a C trumpet. Now, if you need a C for it's tone quality, that's another matter (a Bb has a unique tone quality also, as you have probably noticed).

Knew a fellow trumpet major back in college that had one of those Bach C/Bb combo trumpets. It was a really nice playing instrument in either key.

He lives up north of me a few miles, and no longer plays. I would like to buy it off of him, or get him to will it to me! Probably not going to happen either way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: