• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice and setup for young beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mommy M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Practice and setup for young beginner Reply with quote

Hi Trumpet Herald members,

My son is an almost 10 year old beginning trumpet player. He took a few lessons last summer, then got busy, and now we've just got set up with a good teacher and hopefully this is the beginning of something very fun!

Questions:

1) How important is practicing, and is "goofing around" practicing acceptable? He practices almost every day in short bursts, but does not stick with it very long, maybe 10 minutes here, maybe another 10 minutes later, and a little bit of just grabbing the trumpet and not playing with the book. He likes the trumpet. He's having fun.

How can I make practice fun and productive for a 9 year old? He is getting a nice sound and tone out of the trumpet and his teacher is impressed. He is playing (on a B flat trumpet) C, D, E, F, G and A right now. I am getting him a music stand and metronome.

The lessons are getting a little more challenging, he is learning how to read the notes, count the rests, read music, etc. At this moment, he prefers to play Mary had a little lamb and seems attached to it. Last week he was attached to a 5 note scale, so perhaps I don't need to worry. I am going to follow his lead but occasionally he might need some pushing to try harder things? Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it light and fun and any practice is good. How do you make it fun and avoid frustration when learning to read music?

2) Mouthpiece -- He is playing a King 600 that was passed down from an uncle. He is playing with that mouthpiece, which has a V shape. His teacher would like him to play a 7C eventually, so I got a used Bach 7C off Ebay for $12. He is now experimenting with both mouthpieces, I think he prefers the King mouthpiece. Is this a big deal?

We had the King 600 cleaned and serviced, and as far as I can tell it's a fine trumpet for him to play. (And free!) If he keeps playing, is this trumpet all he needs, or do I need to plan an upgrade at some point?

3) My son is interested in the military and is in Scouts. I would like to find him some music for bugle calls and the Star Wars Imperial March. Could he start learning bugle calls now?

4) I don't know much about instrumental playing. How do things work with all the different styles of playing? Should he be in a marching band, jazz group, orchestra? Will he still have time to sing in school?

Any suggestions and tips for a young player are appreciated -- thank you!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds/looks to me like an excellent start!

30 minutes a day of practice (6 or 7 times a week) is what you'll hear from most teachers. If that happens in 2 or 3 chunks that's fine. More is better.

In that time, if he's haveing fun great, hopefully there's a little drill work in there-things that his teacher has given him. (some may sound mundain at times but fundamentals will allow him to go in any direction)

Different styles are fine, (march, concert, jazz, orch, theater, show choir, etc) as a trumpeter he will do better being comfortable in a variety of settings. Very few of us end up in a situation that we only play one genre, and honestly those players a way more versatile than we think.

The mouthpiece is tricky. I'd go with what his teacher suggests-hopefully there's some thought and experimentation behind that move. I agree on face value. A 7C is mid-ground, a very popular place to start. This may start an argument; but bigger, or smaller, or deaper may (i repeat. MAY) slow him down a little. Again, I'd support his teacher's choice.

He will have time to sing, and should make time!. It will also help his trumpet playing/musicianship. Throw a little piano at him and he's on the path to being an awesome musician.

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things that helped me a lot in the beginning. My director took time to find music I liked (simple - like Mary and her lamb) and taught me those songs. Then he immediately exposed me to better players with no expectations. Since I had the interest I wanted to play better and became very hungry to do so. That got me going and always kept me wanting more.
Let them have fun, if it is the work demanded later on wont seem like work. Be reasonable with your expectations, 9 is an early start for most and there is a lot of time for him to be the driving force if that’s what he wants. Playing this thing has to be for a love of music, and only a very few will make a good living. 98% of the people on here are probably hobbyists or earn a very small percentage of their income playing. If its not something he really likes let it die, maybe another instrument at another time. Just make it fun for awhile.
Rod
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Practice and setup for young beginner Reply with quote

Mommy M wrote:
Hi Trumpet Herald members,

My son is an almost 10 year old beginning trumpet player. He took a few lessons last summer, then got busy, and now we've just got set up with a good teacher and hopefully this is the beginning of something very fun!

Questions:

1) How important is practicing, and is "goofing around" practicing acceptable? He practices almost every day in short bursts, but does not stick with it very long, maybe 10 minutes here, maybe another 10 minutes later, and a little bit of just grabbing the trumpet and not playing with the book. He likes the trumpet. He's having fun.
10 minutes at a time is fine.
Playing without the book should be encouraged. Make up his own songs.

How can I make practice fun and productive for a 9 year old? He is getting a nice sound and tone out of the trumpet and his teacher is impressed. He is playing (on a B flat trumpet) C, D, E, F, G and A right now. I am getting him a music stand and metronome.
Listen to recordings, watch videos, and most importantly go to live concerts. Do these things with him and act excited even if you're not.

The lessons are getting a little more challenging, he is learning how to read the notes, count the rests, read music, etc. At this moment, he prefers to play Mary had a little lamb and seems attached to it. Last week he was attached to a 5 note scale, so perhaps I don't need to worry. I am going to follow his lead but occasionally he might need some pushing to try harder things? Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it light and fun and any practice is good. How do you make it fun and avoid frustration when learning to read music?
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/the-really-big-student-songbook/
Get the Bb edition

2) Mouthpiece -- He is playing a King 600 that was passed down from an uncle. He is playing with that mouthpiece, which has a V shape. His teacher would like him to play a 7C eventually, so I got a used Bach 7C off Ebay for $12. He is now experimenting with both mouthpieces, I think he prefers the King mouthpiece. Is this a big deal?
[u]No, but I would go with the Bach 7C[/u]

We had the King 600 cleaned and serviced, and as far as I can tell it's a fine trumpet for him to play. (And free!) If he keeps playing, is this trumpet all he needs, or do I need to plan an upgrade at some point?
He won't need a pro line horn for awhile. Avoid the "step up" horns as they are no better than his King and IMO are just a sales gimmick.

3) My son is interested in the military and is in Scouts. I would like to find him some music for bugle calls and the Star Wars Imperial March. Could he start learning bugle calls now?
The scout master has a book of bugle calls.
4) I don't know much about instrumental playing. How do things work with all the different styles of playing? Should he be in a marching band, jazz group, orchestra? Will he still have time to sing in school?
Yes

Any suggestions and tips for a young player are appreciated -- thank you!

I teach many beginning and intermediate students and also do clinics and lectures for music educators. The number one obstacle for kids are the adults who want to make everything "fun" by avoiding the teaching of commitment and the value of work. They do just fine until they get challenged by music that requires work to master. This is when many kids quit. The teaching of a solid work ethic will take a kid far. As my teacher, Bill Adam told me, "We can have a lot of fun digging a ditch in the hot sun; if we have the correct attitude".
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I am extremely glad that you have taken an interest in helping your son reach his fullest potential. That’s something I wish my parents had done. Here’s a few suggestions that will make him a much better player and put him on the right path:

1) piano lessons and singing. This will make him a much better trumpet player and set him up for great things, but again it’s his choice.

2) Every trumpet player needs the Arban! “Arban Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet” is the proper title. This is something trumpeters call the “trumpet bible” and one of the best tools for a beginner all the way up to a professional player. There will be good exercises and solos for him now and for years to come.

3) Something I did at that age was search some sheet music to tunes I would hear on the radio. This really helped my reading skills, because I already knew how it was supposed to go and I just had to apply the notes. It was quite a challenge that helped me improve, but I really loved doing it.

4) Make sure he tries out for All County and All State!

5) Inspire him with some fun trumpet recordings. Here are some good ones:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hvW9PVhUsfE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jDld11jhw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gUij8FCg0z8

Best of luck to him!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
I get your point and agree, but as someone who has dug miles of ditch in the hot sun, there is no such attitude regarding ditch digging. I would find a different example.

Rod
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Bill
I get your point and agree, but as someone who has dug miles of ditch in the hot sun, there is no such attitude regarding ditch digging. I would find a different example.

Rod

Cleaning hog pens?
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most teachers/programs ask for at least 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week. That doesn't mean he can't do more, but this is usually the minimum requirement for practice. Breaking the practice up into smaller segments is fine, but it's important that that time be spent practicing constructively. Even as a beginner, it's important for him to understand that there are long and short term goals, or as I like to think of them 'plateaus' that he is working toward. His teacher should be able to help him understand what he needs to practice. Whether he will do it or not is a matter that only he can really decide in the end. Having an element of fun is very helpful for the student at this point, but it can't all be 'fun' fun. There has to be fun in doing the work to get to the next plateau.
I'd definitely go with the 7c over the Vcup to start out. Mouthpiece voodoo is a big thing with trumpet players, but your son is not a trumpet player yet. He's a beginner and a medium mouthpiece like the 7c is a much better choice for him at this point. When he gets a few years under his belt he can start to think about his mouthpiece. He'll know a lot more about his needs by then.
I would encourage him to sing as much as possible and if he turns out to be serious about music, I'd get him piano lessons asap if possible. Also, get him started listening to as much and as big a variety of music as possible (classical, jazz, ethnic music, etc.) Also, there are a lot of videos that can be borrowed from libraries, purchased, or viewed on youtube by a lot of different significant players. I wish I could have sat down and seen videos of Diz, Miles, Maurice Andre, et al when I started out. They are instructive and inspiring.
I know this seems like a lot of stuff, but I hope you find it helpful and good luck!
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Bill

Rod

I'm with Ron. Ten minutes in the Florida sun (95 degrees, 75% humidity) with a shovel, burying conduit and pulling telephone cable will change your mind (and Mr. Adams') real quick!!!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO the OP - you are going to do fine, as you hav become involved in his lessons! Take some pages from the Suzuki method, where parents are an integral part of the learning and practice experience. If you are there, as a sponge to take in the lessons and also as a guide to remind, assist and encourage during practice, this is going to work out well.

As long as your son is enjoying playing, is getting onto the instrument regularly (daily is the goal) and in small sessions so all the setting up and production goals are repeated over and over, this is going to go well. You are the one who will facilitate this!

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: