• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can’t hit high notes anymore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorsall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Can’t hit high notes anymore Reply with quote

Next year will be my sophomore year in high school and so far this last year I’ve made large improvements to my range. Getting close to double G. Towards the end of last school year about half of the time my “higher” notes (G on top of the staff and up) would have a horrible noise and would play down an octave. I lost a jazz solo and a concert band solo because of this inconsistency. My band director was just telling me that it was just my confidence and that he knew I could play them. I thought that could be it but I’m not so sure. I’ve gotten so frustrated with this thing. Now nearly all “higher” notes that I play have been going down an octave with a horrible sound. I feel like I’m hitting them just fine but it’s playing it really badly and down an octave. It’s not my trumpet, I’ve tried on my other trumpet and same thing. My practice has been consistent and I have no clue what to do. I was hoping someone here might have had the same problem and could help.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this like a double buzz with the buzz being an octave lower than your target? Or are the notes just fogging out an octave lower than your target? What's the highest note you can comfortably play with accuracy, consistency, clarity and a good sound? What's the highest note you used to be able to play with accuracy, consistency, clarity and a good sound? What do you think is creating the problem?
dorsall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Is this like a double buzz with the buzz being an octave lower than your target? Or are the notes just fogging out an octave lower than your target? What's the highest note you can comfortably play with accuracy, consistency, clarity and a good sound? What's the highest note you used to be able to play with accuracy, consistency, clarity and a good sound? What do you think is creating the problem?

Sorry about the lack of info. It’s a double buzz. The highest note is an F most of the time. Before these issues I was able to play accurately, consistently and clear up to a high D. I think that something is missing in my embochure but I honestly don’t really know.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buzz is probably being generated by the lower lip getting in the way of the vibrations of the upper lip resulting in the lower lip vibrating and creating the buzz. The relationship/positioning of the lower lip and upper lip is a delicate balance. A small adjustment or misalignment can create big problems.

Try focusing on keeping the upper portion of your lower lip tight against or curled slightly over your lower teeth. See if that gets rid of the buzz and report your results.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run into an issue with a double buzz when I spend too much time practicing my high register. Did you, by chance, notice this occurring then start feverishly practicing high notes only to get worse?

How much time to you spend on fundamentals of playing?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Hudson08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a practice routine? Some kind of warmup/light workout that you do daily? If so, does it take you all over the horn or do you focus on getting the upper register together? If you don’t have a routine, I suggest you get one together. Something easy that you can do in 30 minutes and leaves you feeling fresh at the end. Like mentioned in the post above, if you focus simply on playing high, you’re going to burn yourself out. Your practice needs to be balanced and you should be sure to take a rest day if you’ve had a hard week. And a rest day can involve a short amount of easy playing. It doesn’t have to be a total break, but it can be.

Just a couple months ago I was working on a lot of Baroque lit for wedding season and playing the split-lead/Jazz book in a big band. After a few weeks of that I too found my sound and range suffering. I took two days off and then focused on evening out my practice sessions - I played a lot of pedal tones and got back into some Caruso studies. I also made sure to not play too long, leaving my chops fresh, not battered, at the end of each session. Two weeks of that and now my face feels better than ever.

Sometimes less is more.
dorsall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
I run into an issue with a double buzz when I spend too much time practicing my high register. Did you, by chance, notice this occurring then start feverishly practicing high notes only to get worse?

How much time to you spend on fundamentals of playing?

Yeah, this did, I thought that might be a part of it but I wasn't sure. I know that I don't spend as much time as I should on fundamentals and I'm trying to change that.
dorsall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson08 wrote:
Do you have a practice routine? Some kind of warmup/light workout that you do daily? If so, does it take you all over the horn or do you focus on getting the upper register together? If you don’t have a routine, I suggest you get one together. Something easy that you can do in 30 minutes and leaves you feeling fresh at the end. Like mentioned in the post above, if you focus simply on playing high, you’re going to burn yourself out. Your practice needs to be balanced and you should be sure to take a rest day if you’ve had a hard week. And a rest day can involve a short amount of easy playing. It doesn’t have to be a total break, but it can be.

Just a couple months ago I was working on a lot of Baroque lit for wedding season and playing the split-lead/Jazz book in a big band. After a few weeks of that I too found my sound and range suffering. I took two days off and then focused on evening out my practice sessions - I played a lot of pedal tones and got back into some Caruso studies. I also made sure to not play too long, leaving my chops fresh, not battered, at the end of each session. Two weeks of that and now my face feels better than ever.

Sometimes less is more.

I will get one together. Now that I look back on it I guess this did start when I started to focus on my range a lot more. I do have a routine but it’s not the exact same every day. I will definitely start a routine that is the exact same every day and I’ll make sure that it takes me all over my horn. Thanks for the advice and help.
dorsall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
The buzz is probably being generated by the lower lip getting in the way of the vibrations of the upper lip resulting in the lower lip vibrating and creating the buzz. The relationship/positioning of the lower lip and upper lip is a delicate balance. A small adjustment or misalignment can create big problems.

Try focusing on keeping the upper portion of your lower lip tight against or curled slightly over your lower teeth. See if that gets rid of the buzz and report your results.

Alright, I will. Thank you for the advice and help.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Can’t hit high notes anymore Reply with quote

dorsall wrote:
Next year will be my sophomore year in high school and so far this last year I’ve made large improvements to my range. Getting close to double G. Towards the end of last school year about half of the time my “higher” notes (G on top of the staff and up) would have a horrible noise and would play down an octave. I lost a jazz solo and a concert band solo because of this inconsistency. My band director was just telling me that it was just my confidence and that he knew I could play them. I thought that could be it but I’m not so sure. I’ve gotten so frustrated with this thing. Now nearly all “higher” notes that I play have been going down an octave with a horrible sound. I feel like I’m hitting them just fine but it’s playing it really badly and down an octave. It’s not my trumpet, I’ve tried on my other trumpet and same thing. My practice has been consistent and I have no clue what to do. I was hoping someone here might have had the same problem and could help.

We're probably seeing just another case of over-trained chops exacerbated by an excessively deep, large and sharp edged mouthpiece.

"Over-training" is listed first because this is the only factor which is completely the responsibility of the trumpet player involved. Granted he probably could find another mouthpiece better suited to both his performance and development. However we don't know what mouthpiece he's playing. And?

If he doesn't address the likely over-training matter? Then a more suitable mouthiece isn't likely to help him much. As I've kinda found people on "mouthpiece scavenger hunts" to usually be in a constant state of over-trained chops.

But not realizing that their improper practice/performance diet is what's really screwing up their consistency? They continually swap out mouthpieces. Initially finding the newer piece to work well for a day or so. However as soon as they over-train the new muscles put to work on the newer piece? They again blame the mouthpiece and switch to another one again. Rinse & Repeat...

While I would like more information from the O/P? It is exactly these kinds of topics which tend to fall into that category called,

"I know what I'm supposed to be practicing but can't quite act on those suggestions which I know are good for me." Or as a famous Alice once said,

"I give myself good advice but very seldom take it".

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: