• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charleston, SC, Horn Repair?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Charleston, SC, Horn Repair? Reply with quote

Greetings, all.

Just moved from lovely Houston to Charleston, SC. I'm wondering if anyone can share a name for good horn repair in or around Charleston?

Incidentally, after leaving Houston I must say I miss Steve Hultquist of Best Band Repair in the Spring area. He's a magician at removing pings and dings - simply fantastic. If I can find someone as good as he in the Charleston, SC, area I'll be thrilled.

Thanks!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan, I would consider UPS-ing your horn to Charlie Melk. He is absolutely fantastic. Reasonably priced and fast turn around time. You might think, me being in NYC, why didn’t I just take my horns to Josh Landress or Matt Lavelle, both excellent repairmen and cats. But, the last few weeks have been so busy with work between odd timed recording sessions, gigs, and students among other things, I just didn’t have the extra time to drop my horn off and pick it up. It was easier and quicker for me just to go to Staples close to my house and ship it UPS to Charlie. I had him fix my Carol Blackhawk (dropped a mouthpiece on the valve casing) and put lever water keys on my main axe, the Lynnzhorn. Stellar work! All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Matt White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jonathan!

I'll second Charlie Melk. I live a little north of Charleston and send all my horns to Charlie. He does wonderful work and it's nice that he's physically closer with the move to Atlanta.

I've also heard Rich Ita is great. He's in Atlanta too.

I don't know of anyone in the state that I would trust for really important repair work or maintenance, but there may be someone I just don't know of. There are a bunch of good players in Charleston that you can connect with who may have some feedback.

Matt
http://mattwhitejazz.com
@mattwhitejazz (twitter/instagram)
Bach Trumpet Performing Artist
Patrick Mouthpieces
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, Lex; thanks. I know the national guys are good, I was just hoping to find someone local that had some skills, too. For challenging work I'm sure it's tough to beat Charlie, Rich, DelQuadro, etc. It's just nice to be able to stand in a room with a guy; both of you looking at the same horn and discuss what the problem(s) is/are and what all can be done.

Charleston is a nice sized city; hoping to find a local guy for some stuff... We'll see! Thanks for the names, though.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Rich Ita and here's the guy that does all of Tuba Exchange repairs:

https://www.morseinstrumentrepair.com/
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't immediately locate the name, but there was a group called Crescent Brass Quintet playing around South Carolina a few years ago, and one of the members was a brass tech of high order. I believe he was based near Charleston. I can't find an online presence for the group right now. Kathryn Chaney, one of their members has moved to Germany to play there, so they are possibly not active.

I am about sixty miles west of Augusta, GA, and have used Josh Landress and Rich Ita with equal satisfaction. I had my cornet work done by Mr. Ita, as he is a cornet player/lover.

If I can locate an old cd cover that gave the pertinent information, I will send it to you.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan and all, I moved to the Charleston (SC) area from Texas (Austin) a couple years ago. The only business somehow related to brass that I have found has been Southern String Supply:

SOUTHERN STRING SUPPLY
502 Wando Park Blvd. Unit 106, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
(843) 276-9239
Hours
Monday - Friday: 10am - 6pm
Saturday: 10am - 2pm
Sunday: Closed

I have not had occasion to use them or even call them yet, so I have no idea of the quality of their work. Yet, while brass is not in the company name, they appear to sell and repair brass instruments. Here is their site:

https://theinstrumentdoc.com/

Saluti, Guido
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
I second Rich Ita and here's the guy that does all of Tuba Exchange repairs:

https://www.morseinstrumentrepair.com/

Mike is located in Durham, NC. Nowhere near Charleston. But he is a superb brass repairman!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: