• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trigger parts...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Trigger parts... Reply with quote

I'm interested in building my own triggers to the main tuning portion of the horn for various pitched horns. I've had various custom brass shops over the years install their own custom design per a specific horn I've sent them, but the cost is often $250 and up, plus shipping. Also, often they have a backlog, which is certainly good for them, but bogs down the turnaround for me. I can prep my own slides (lap/clean/lubricate) for a local tech to solder the parts (which may only take 10 minutes or so), but I'd need the (1) trigger/saddle/screw/et al, as well as the (2) con-rod (connection rod) and (3) ball & cup connections.

(1) Trigger lever parts - I could get these from Allied, but they resources are limited in style, and I'd be borrowing from a 1st or 3rd slide trigger from only a few manufacturers. Any other sources to recommend?

(2) Con-rod - This is often a turnbuckle design or a rod-within-a-tube-with-a-thumb-screw design. I've figured a way to make what I need for these, so this I can do at home in my own shop.

(3) Metal ball & cup connedtions - For quite a few years, this has been borrowed from the R/C (Remote Control) car/truck/plane industry. The cups are plastic to keep the weight of the vehicle to a bare minimum, and they legitimately work as trumpet trigger connectors, albeit supposedly can wear out over time. I have had several of these on several horns and haven't seen them wear (knock on wood). HOWEVER, Adams, Hub van Laar, and CarolBrass are now using (their own) metal ball & cup connectors, and maybe I could purchase from one or more of them. Then again, I may have to buy, say, the entire flugel 3rd trigger mechanism when all I need is the ball & cup part. I figure someone on TH has got to know where to buy metal ball & cup connections like these in bulk. Anyone?

https://www.adams-music.com/shop/product/detail/?i=Adams+F1+Flugelhorn&t=wf&id=1BG0AF1&lid=1033

https://www.vanlaartrumpets.nl/en/flugelhorn/b1/

http://www.carolbrass.com/product_post.php?i=498
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minibal linkages are the best linkages for instruments.

www.minibal.de

There are knockoffs, but the real ones are worth it.

I wouldn't use a ball and cup when things like Minibal exist.

Rods and screws can be purchased from McMaster-Carr in a million different variations.

The levers aren't difficult to fabricate, but are time consuming.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
Minibal linkages are the best linkages for instruments.

www.minibal.de

There are knockoffs, but the real ones are worth it.

I wouldn't use a ball and cup when things like Minibal exist.

Rods and screws can be purchased from McMaster-Carr in a million different variations.

The levers aren't difficult to fabricate, but are time consuming.

Thank you so much for the response, Divitt Trumpets! Pretty cool horn pics on your website, btw! Yes, I'm aware of the minibal linkages, and I know that they are extremely reliable and durable. However, with them I'd have to unscrew the connection to swab out slides, which I do on a daily basis after my practice/gigs. Hence, I prefer some sort of quick release system.

I had red rot develop in a leadpipe a few years ago and vowed I'd never let it happen again. Even with the plastic cup with (metal) ball that are commonly borrowed from the R/C world, I haven't run into issues. I really want metal (preferably brass) ones for resonance, even though those small cups in plastic probably do not hinder resonance at all. I can't tell that they do on my existing horns, but when I came across the Adams, van Laar, and CB flugel triggers in recent months, I resolved that I'd find something comparable. Next stop...China...for ball & cup connections. Just don't know where to start.

Re: con-rods from McMaster-Carr, I've looked quite a bit at that website, and it is daunting, but I've pretty much come up with my own way to make those the way I want them.

Re: fabricating levers, let me know if you think it would be cheaper than ~$60 total, including lever/saddle/spring/screw. If it's time-consuming, then it would cost more than that, unless it is outsourced.

Thanks again for the input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: