• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

6 notes question?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to see a pattern, that in the late '60s/early '70s, CC varied his approach, but by the time his book came out (1978), he had navigated (perhaps solely) to BTT. Nevertheless, since some of you had been taught TTB and TBB, I think I will experiment some with these. The experimentation might help with "finding my face" more efficiently.
mavrian22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting nugget I just discovered re-reading the MCFB book:

From page 7.... "Also, according to need, you may wish to TONGUE the first note and use a BREATH ATTACK on the third note. "

Capitalizations were underlined in the book.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my time with Carmine, he collaborated with Hal Graham to publish the Caruso Band Method (1969).

The Six Notes are directed TTB. The instructions say, "The breath attack on the third note assures proper lip tension."

That might be the key that determined which students were prescribed breath attacks and their placement. I know that I was assigned all of the intervals beginning with the Tongue. I witnessed many others being directed to start them with the breath attack.

Carmine was the epitome of the anti-one-size-fits-all teacher in his studio. However, writing a book.......

Alan
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavrian22 wrote:
An interesting nugget I just discovered re-reading the MCFB book:

From page 7.... "Also, according to need, you may wish to TONGUE the first note and use a BREATH ATTACK on the third note. "

Capitalizations were underlined in the book.

I believe you but I had to look. Nice research!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PINCHUNO wrote:
Every single video or method explanation I've seen, says to use Breath (hoo) then tongue (too, too). B-T-T. Or H-T-T

Maybe that's because the person that learned it, either had it explained it that way to them originally by Mr. Caruso, or heard it second hand from someone who did.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it sure sounds like people are doubting Caruso's own handwriting in Mr. Stump's image.

Listen to Thomas Stevens talk about the so-called Schlossberg exercises and how much he despises the book, taken from the experience of just one student. He mentions how Schlossberg also customized exercises for every student. I've heard the same thing about Bill Adam customizing things specifically for the needs of his students.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 6 notes question? Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Just do the exercise. Most importantly...Follow the Four Rules and don't think of anything else!

I'm curious about something, mainly because I have been using a PDF written by Markus Stockhausen for this for a long time now.

http://www.aktivraumverlag.de/media/data/the_basic_caruso_1.pdf

In the above, he mentions "six basic rules" to observe. I'm curious if the four you are talking about are a subset of those six, or a different set entirely?

Looking around on the net just now, I also saw 6 rules show up again, in this:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/artist/friedrich/seminar/caruso.html

Both seem to be different from what Gordon was taught by Mr. Caruso directly, with respect at least to the breath attack issue.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sentence from rule 2

"While breathing, maintain the same mouthpiece pressure and tension used for the previous notes."

Marcus Stockhausen has created his rules for the calisthenics, and there is nothing wrong with that. The results should be very successful. But there are only 4 Caruso rules, and these are given in MCFB.

With his students, CC was flexible with some of the instructions in the 4 Rules, e.g., maintaining pressure and tension during breathing, initial attack being either B or T, (breathing in a certain way or time) he wanted the student to take all the time necessary for a full and comfortable breath. There are more.

Caruso rule 3 covers keeping the blow steady and uninterrupted.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this is silly of me. I forgot I owned a paper copy of MCFB. I've had that PDF on my computer and tablet for so long, I forgot it. I'll just go read it for myself again. Duh.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I'm starting to see a pattern, that in the late '60s/early '70s, CC varied his approach, but by the time his book came out (1978), he had navigated (perhaps solely) to BTT. Nevertheless, since some of you had been taught TTB and TBB, I think I will experiment some with these. The experimentation might help with "finding my face" more efficiently.

Admittedly, I was not a fan of the CC method for years, because it had been taught in a group of other high school kids by a college trumpet teacher and it ended up becoming an isometric exercise and making my chops/face too tight.
trtrtr1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a student of Carmine, he would open his eyes during my exercise when I was thinking!
JOF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: The 6 Notes Reply with quote

I studied with Carmine in the early 70's and he gave me the B-T-B routine. It gave a non-explosive start to a note and I have never found the 6 notes to be tiring to do. I have read other players say that they have found them to be extremely demanding/tiring.
In this particular set of comments, I have read some comments suggesting that the breath attack (in the TTB series) relaxes the embouchure. Maybe there is something in this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: