• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Plastic Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Plastic Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I'm considering on getting a plastic mouthpiece but I just wanted to know if there are any advantages to using this.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the main question would be: Why?

Is there something you're looking for specifically?
Perhaps for playing in the cold or allergy related?

Personally I find fully plastic mouthpieces most unsatisfying - plastic tops on metal backbores are better, plastic screwrims on brass underparts are the nearest you'll get to your standard mouthpiece (but with the rim-feel of the plastic)
brumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that I can see my own embouchure when I play.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brumpet wrote:
So that I can see my own embouchure when I play.

Do you have a purpose behind this? I know that there are some that use them for this reason and the Kelly clear mouthpieces are relatively cheap. I have a few, but I only use them and leave them in my car in case I get caught being late for a gig and have to take my horn out and play right away.

I wouldn't play on them for long periods of time. You can basically see what's going on in a few minutes and go back to your regular mouthpiece. If you have to play in cold weather outside they are helpful, or allergies to metal as mentioned but...

Get a Kelly close to your size and you can judge for yourself.

Pete
Josh_Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my plastic mouthpiece only when playing outside in the cold. However, the tone quality is not nearly as good as a brass mouthpiece.
trumpetman.rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work well for Bobby Shew these days.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound and feel much better with a mouthpiece weight that covers the outside of the cup area. A shank weight does not seem to help as much.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clear plastic mouthpiece simply to observe the embouchure without a teacher to help diagnose what, if anything needs improvement, is futile. Remember Confucius: knowledge without thought is useless; thought without knowledge is dangerous.

Yes, even I use a Kelly lexan mouthpiece outdoors in cold weather for all the reasons stated for cold weather.

Bobby Shew can play anything he wants and still sound great. Most of the rest of us are mere mortals and are better off using conventional mouthpieces, with the exceptions noted.

Yes, for my tuba, for lip comfort, I do use a lexan rim on a standard mouthpiece. Tone and comfort together.

So if it is a comfort or other issue, lexan, as a rim, is a good alternative. But just to have a clear mouthpiece for the sake of observing embouchure is as worthless as the track and field athlete who carries a stopwatch with him to the exclusion of working on fundamentals: weight training, flexibility, sprints, endurance exercises, etc., to better his stamina and performance.

I suggest you re-think the entire plastic issue.
Ben Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lengthy reply written here and apparently the forum gremlins ate it. The short of it: try one, you might like it. Don’t dismiss plastic outright as a ‘toy.’ If you do like the feel of one of the cheap ones there are manufacturers out there that offer high quality plastic options (including Dr Dave’s Wedge which I’m currently playing on). I can definitely feel the difference in quality between a cheap Kelly or Mutec vs a more expensive Wedge or Pickett Brass.

Play on what you want, not on what others tell you you should play on (unless they are paying your bills... then maybe).
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Plastic mouthpiece Reply with quote

I wish we would have had them back in the day. Cold days they would have been very welcome. As far as pros using them, we need to remember that people like Bobby Shew could stick their mouthpiece in a 3 foot piece of flexible garden hose and still sound fantastic. If I tried one and was convinced it played better for me I would probably continue to use it. So far I haven't been 50-60 dollar curious to have one, since I am old and don't have to march in cold weather anymore. They definitely fill a usable niche in trumpet or brass playing in general.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Plastic mouthpiece Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I wish we would have had them back in the day. Cold days they would have been very welcome. As far as pros using them, we need to remember that people like Bobby Shew could stick their mouthpiece in a 3 foot piece of flexible garden hose and still sound fantastic. If I tried one and was convinced it played better for me I would probably continue to use it. So far I haven't been 50-60 dollar curious to have one, since I am old and don't have to march in cold weather anymore. They definitely fill a usable niche in trumpet or brass playing in general.
You can get a bargain Kelly for under $20!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: