• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pickett Backbores: Standard series vs. 10 series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Pickett Backbores: Standard series vs. 10 series Reply with quote

After hearing so many great things about Pickett mouthpieces, I've decided to purchase a 5BC with a 26 throat. However, I cannot decide between the 10-2 or #2 backbores. I've done a lot of searching and reading but I've yet to find a definitive answer.

Would anyone mind weighing in on the difference?

(If I end up liking the Pickett 5BC 26 throat well enough, I was thinking I might try a 5C with a 26 throat and 10-3 or #3 backbore as well.)

Slightly offtopic: I should probably make a separate thread but does anyone have any experience with the Jeu Natural wooden mouthpieces? They're only $75 even for custom orders. I'd love to try a wooden copy of a Bach 5C after I finish trying out Pickett. A Hammond 6ML is also on my list to try soon.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my impression based on my perceived feel and sound (which may be different for others), as I've never asked Peter or Eric this directly...

To me the 10 series seems a bit like the Warburton * backbores and the standard more like the Warburton non-* backbores, i.e., the 10 series seems to have a little broader sound and feel, maybe like the section right after the throat is more open, and the standard series feels a tad more compact and focused, and slurs seems to pop more like a du tongue just like the Warburton non-* backbores.

Hope this helps and doesn't lead you astray, these are just my perceived differences with no real info from Pickett.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by a Pickett rep at ITG that the 10 series opens up sooner than the standard series (so bigger). So my understanding is there standard series tapers at a consistent rate were as the 10 series has a flares to be more open sooner. The standard gave me a more plain tone where as the 10 series I felt more depth or rounded in sound.

I was fitted for a 10-3/27. I have settled more on a 10-2/24. The 10-3 has more pop in articulation but I like the tone of the 10-2. (I use the 2C and 2CD tops).
Jeff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 10-2 backbore for all of the reasons mentioned above. Your mileage may vary, of course. If you live near Lexington, Kentucky or happen to be passing through there on I-75 sometime it might be worth a trip to the shop to do some comparison playing. I think they make wonderful mouthpieces and I'd wager you will find something to your liking in both sound and feel (both of the rim on your chops and the amount of resistance you prefer).
Joshua712

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chance for me to hop on a soapbox: the Pickett 10-2 backbore is so wonderful! So many respected players have gone to this setup lately, and after trying it out it’s not hard for me to see why! The response, the blow, very very even. Top to bottom F to P all very consistent. And big broad sound that could actually give access to a broader color palette. The 10-2 can be very big and brilliant but can also play round and broad as well BUT without losing focus or center. Most mouthpieces really can’t do that like the Pickett. Pairs great with a lot of different tops too! Some that I really wasn’t even crazy about before I now find myself really liking.

Well worth a try.

Not sure if still for sale but I think I’ve seen some Pickett 10-2s up for grabs in the market place
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: