• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Today's paper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Today's paper Reply with quote

From today's NY Times
Enjoy!

On Saturday mornings when my windows are open, I sometimes hear a trumpet player practicing as I’m waking up. The silvery tones ring through several courtyards on my block. I cannot pinpoint the source.

The musician is clearly a professional. Scales fly up and down, one impeccable glissando at a time, pausing briefly before climbing to the next half-step.

One day, at the top of an octave, the mystery trumpeter added an unexpected flourish. The note hung suspended in midair, then blossomed into a haunting movie theme.

The screen is pitch black when this film opens. A solo trumpet plays, “Daaaah… da da | Daaaah… da | Da-daaaah…” As the melody repeats, the credits read, “Paramount Pictures Presents.’’ The music continues, and the writer’s name and the movie’s title appear. In the darkness, the first line is spoken: “I believe in America.”

I treasure the moment six years ago when I first heard Nino Rota’s “Godfather Waltz” echo eerily through my West Harlem block.

Two years ago, a man entered my building with an instrument case slung over his shoulder. I had to ask. His name is Riley, and he blows that horn from his apartment window three stories directly below mine.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today's paper Reply with quote

MalinTrumpet wrote:
Scales fly up and down, one impeccable glissando at a time, pausing briefly before climbing to the next half-step.

I wish my own neighbors were as pleased with my impeccable glissandos in ascending half-steps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: