• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Daughter wants to play horn now

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfisher530

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'll also have to learn how to finger left handed on the French horn.
Something to think about.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfisher530 wrote:
She'll also have to learn how to finger left handed on the French horn.
Something to think about.

Back in high school I decided to double on French horn and could play almost immediately though it took a little while to learn some of the less intuitive fingerings. The transition to the left hand was not particularly difficult for me. Of course back then I was fairly driven and would work on fingering my scales pretty much all waking hours even when I didn't have my hands on a horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: She's officially playing trumpet next fall in school band. She'll play the '55 Special, and I just popped a 1959 Studio for myself in lieu.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I taught high school band all my horn players came from the trumpet ranks. Beginners commonly started on the trumpet, anyway, due to the fact that I needed the horns the school owned for the high school band.

Most of them had no trouble switching back and forth. Once I had a young man transfer to my school in the 9th grade. This guy "played" trumpet, sorta. He had VERY fleshy lips and could only hit one or two notes on his trumpet, I believe they were second line G and 2nd space A...anyway, after struggling thru marching band that fall, he requested to change to another instrument. I offered him Tuba, Euphonium, and Trombone, No, he wanted to play the French Horn! Well, I reluctantly let him take a horn home and practice on it some, thinking he will have so many problems with his large lips that he would get discouraged and want to try something else. Lo and behold, he persevered and became one of my best horn players the rest of his time in high school.

Ya never know!
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
When I taught high school band all my horn players came from the trumpet ranks. Beginners commonly started on the trumpet, anyway, due to the fact that I needed the horns the school owned for the high school band.

Most of them had no trouble switching back and forth. Once I had a young man transfer to my school in the 9th grade. This guy "played" trumpet, sorta. He had VERY fleshy lips and could only hit one or two notes on his trumpet, I believe they were second line G and 2nd space A...anyway, after struggling thru marching band that fall, he requested to change to another instrument. I offered him Tuba, Euphonium, and Trombone, No, he wanted to play the French Horn! Well, I reluctantly let him take a horn home and practice on it some, thinking he will have so many problems with his large lips that he would get discouraged and want to try something else. Lo and behold, he persevered and became one of my best horn players the rest of his time in high school.

Ya never know!

That's interesting. Aren't horn mouthpieces about the same diameter as trumpets?
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:

That's interesting. Aren't horn mouthpieces about the same diameter as trumpets?

Well, sort of. The major differences are in the width of the rim and the extremely deep "V" shaped cup. Warburton, and probably others, makes a rim that has some of the characteristics of horn rims, in their "anchor grip" line. I have a couple of those.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Aren't horn mouthpieces about the same diameter as trumpets?

When I relatively recently made a brief return to the horn I did some research and was surprised to find that most Horn mouthpieces are similar in ID to the Bach 1.5C trumpet mouthpieces and larger. I'd previously believed that they ran quite a bit smaller than that. And it's perplexing that the typically narrow rims don't give me any trouble the way they do on trumpet. I ascribe this the very different blow of the Horn that doesn't seem to invite or benefit from excess mouthpiece pressure even for difficult music. I was doing Les Miserable which required going from far below the staff to Bb above which is fairly high for that instrument. I could play an entire show with minimal lip fatigue, which I could never say about playing the trumpet part.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cornet, trumpet and flugel mouthpieces are all Curry 7 size. My horn mouthpieces measure 17.5 mm in diameter, so much bigger. I also can play for very long periods on horn without fatigue. If I were to guess, for some reason, I'm more of a natural horn player than trumpet player. It has always been that way since I tried horn in college.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: