• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton New Proportion Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Holton New Proportion Cornet Reply with quote

I'm curious to know more about my Frank Holton New Proportion cornet (S/N 10465), made in Chicago around 1910. I bought the horn a few years ago from Rich Ita. It's in excellent condition and, with my Wick Heiritage 2B mouthpiece, plays with a warm, mellow tone.

The horn is engraved on the bell as having been assigned to the the 10th Infantry Division of the Iowa National Guard. Engraving on the bell also indicates it's a Couturier model, which I assume is a reference to the cornetist, Ernst Couturier who, apparently, was in partnership with Holton for awhile before he started his own company.

Also on the horn, above the serial number on the second valve casing is the digit "1." Not sure what that refers to.

I've Googled a lot and come up with the fact that the 10th Infantry band practiced Monday nights in Clarinda, Iowa, which is the birthplace of Glenn Miller. (I've always imagined that little Glenn Miller might have been inspired to play music by listening to the Army musicians in his hometown. Unfortunately, I learned that Miller's family left Clarinda a few years before the horn was made.)

Anyone know more about the horn, including that mysterious "1" above the serial number?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Holton New Proportion Cornet Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I'm curious to know more about my Frank Holton New Proportion cornet (S/N 10465), made in Chicago around 1910...

Anyone know more about the horn, including that mysterious "1" above the serial number?

There are 3 pages of Holton cornet info at Hornucopia:

Page #1=
http://www.horn-u-copia.net/cgi-bin/yabb231/YaBB.pl?num=1109511958/0

Page #2=
http://www.horn-u-copia.net/cgi-bin/yabb231/YaBB.pl?num=1109511958/15

Page #3=
http://www.horn-u-copia.net/cgi-bin/yabb231/YaBB.pl?num=1109511958/30

Quote from page #2 probably explains the "1" on your cornet:

"I know of "Couturier Model" New Proportions with 0, 0-, 0, and 1 bores, so it would be my assumption that this worked the same way when Clarke endorsed them."

Page #1 has a link to a photo of a 1911 cornet that is probably similar to yours:

"This is a Holton Couturier Cornet Serial#13359 (c. 1911).
www.horn-u-copia.net/instruments/Holton/Holton-cornet-13359.jpg
Engraving: COUTURIER MODEL NEW PROPORTION MADE BY FRANK HOLTON CHICAGO"

Page #3 has actual bore measurements to coincide with the smaller Holton bores:

"0": 0.453" (1912 "Couturier Model/New Proportion")
"0 1/2": 0.461" (1915 "Made By" (same wrap as New Proportion)

That leads me to speculate by extrapolation that your #1 bore is approximately .468? Can you measure it to see if that is correct?

- Morris
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Morris! email me at jhatpro@comcast.net and I have a surprise for you!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong about the military unit. The horn was assigned to the 55th ID of the Iowa NG, which had a colorful history chasing Pancho Villa and, later, fighting in WWI.

I always wonder who first played this horn and what happened to him.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Treehugginvamp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: I just bought a Frank Holton New Proportion cornet. Reply with quote

I just bought a Frank Holton New Proportion cornet (S/N 14571) at a yard sale for my daughter. based on the serial number it's very similar in age and style to the one mentioned here. Above my serial number is a "0" though and it has the F.P. stamped near the mouthpiece, I have googled as much as I can and found this post, which if the links provided by @Conn6B still worked, would have been a treasure trove of info.

So here's what I know, Serial # indicates built in 1910-1911 in Chicago
L.P. means Low Pitch
the "0" above the serial # relates to the bore (which I think has something to so with the size of the holes in the valves or something similar.
There are no other engravings to indicate a rich history like @jhatpro's model, but mine is also in very good shape for its age.

Disclaimer, I do not play and my daughter has only been playing for a couple years and is in her Middle School Concert band.

There is a LOT I don't know and would like to learn more and possibly find the extra slides and different mouthpieces that were available for this model.

I will be sending it out to be cleaned and serviced in the next week or so.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At www.trumpet-history.com, under Histories, you will find a short history of the Frank Holton company. Under tools, there is a model guide for Holton which includes details on bores, finishes, etc. SN 14571 is 1911, indeed made in Chicago the year the second half of the original Holton plant opened.

I would caution that an antique of this sort is a challenging instrument for a middle school student. The valves are likely worn, which will add resistance and intonation challenges, the horn is "nose heavy" and requires strength to hold that a more balanced modern wrap does not, and the tone will not be consistent with that of more modern horns.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Treehugginvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
At www.trumpet-history.com, under Histories, you will find a short history of the Frank Holton company. Under tools, there is a model guide for Holton which includes details on bores, finishes, etc. SN 14571 is 1911, indeed made in Chicago the year the second half of the original Holton plant opened.

I would caution that an antique of this sort is a challenging instrument for a middle school student. The valves are likely worn, which will add resistance and intonation challenges, the horn is "nose heavy" and requires strength to hold that a more balanced modern wrap does not, and the tone will not be consistent with that of more modern horns.

Thanks for the info. It seems she has an easier time with this horn than her regular trumpet. She has been completely obsessed and practicing a lot with it.
She took it to her music teacher today and he said she was doing well with it and could use it for concert band. I think I just opened up a very expensive habit for her. She is completely in love with antique horns now.

So now I am looking for the additional slides that were available for this horn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: