• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Trial?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
p.gehres

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Monette Trial? Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm currently back on the mouthpiece hunt, and am interested in trying out some Monette pieces, but I can't find anywhere to do so. I like bigger rims (currently on a Bach 1C) so I'd like to try out mouthpieces in the B1 range (B1-2, B1-4, B1-5).

The only stores I can find online that offer trials don't carry these models. Any suggestions? I'd love to try any of these for Bb, C, or flugel, just to see if I like the feel of the rims to start with.
Dillon Flugelhorn Rose Brass Lacquer, 78XXX
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon’s Music in New Jersey has Monettes to try! You can check their website, and see if they have your desired sizes. If not, I’d send an email and ask if they could buy some for you to try. They have practice rooms to try them out...it’s all free.

Good luck!
CJ
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thompson Music allows exchanges on Monette pieces. They usually have used Monette mouthpieces, too. Outside of the Portland shop, Mike Thompson is the leading authority on Monette gear among dealers. I’ve bought used Monette flugelhorn pieces from Thompson, along with a great Schilke E3L.
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Monette Prana B2S3, B2FL, B2LS3
Monette Prana FLG2
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are at Ithica, check w/ Kim Dunnick. He was recently selling some B and C 1-4 S6 mouthpieces cheap on Facebook. He may still have some around.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always do it the way I did. Bought a used B2 and C2. Didn't really like them and put them aside. Forward a couple of years. Played on a C12 and it was really nice with my horn. Bought a used B12D and C12. the D was too deep so I bought a B12. Shortly after the S cups came out. Got a used B12S3 and a C12S3. Played them for several years. As I got older I wanted something a little smaller. Talked to Monette shop several times. Decided to try the B2 but the B2S3 this time. Had a hard time finding one used. Eventually found a B2S3 Resonance and the rim didn't match my B2 at all. Looked for used B3/C3 and found used B3S3 and C3S3 Prana. Shelled out more bucks. The B I might have gotten used to, but the C didn't work at all on my C trumpet.

Since the B12S3 and C12S3 worked OK, I thought I'd try the new resonance models. Never could find used ones.

Now all this time I was looking for ones to try. Most dealers called it a "custom" order if they didn't have it in stock. That means no trial period.

I'm now retired, so I didn't want to spend even more the B12S3 and C12S3 Resonance models so I knew when to fold them and then quit Monette. Probably a couple of grand tied up in used mouthpieces that didn't work. Back to my Bach 1.5B

The guy I talked to several times at Monette said they are aware of the problem of trying these and did suggest a few dealers that might offer a trial. But since they didn't have the models I wanted in stock, it became a custom order and non-returnable.

So as others mentioned the only way is to find a friend that has one or find a store you can go to that has IN STOCK the models you are interested in.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a similar problem that the one I want never seems to be available used or on approval. So I am now doing a one-at-a-time trial.. try a new one, then sell and buy another new one if I don't like that one. That way I'm not going to get a drawer full of expensive paperweights. It costs about $100 for each round as the new ones are around $360 and the used ones sell for around $260. I sold my B6S1 Prana last week and am waiting on my B6DS1 now.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the path I took but I’ve had way better results. I’ve had a few that didn’t work out but I’ve always gotten out what I put into them. I haven’t kept mouthpieces that didn’t work and every time I made a change I analyzed and theorized the possible trade offs. I live on the west coast so at some point I’ll make the drive to their shop to try some things out. It’s always best to try before you buy but it’s really tough to compare different things when you have to wait for it to come in the mail...

Here’s the specific path and logic I used while gambling:

I was playing a Giardinelli 5M and Stork 3C and I wanted to try Monette.
Early days of eBay got me a two for one deal where I bought a LT BLD and STC B6L for $200. I couldn’t play the B6L so I sold it for $200.
Played the. BLD for about eight years until I decided to try bigger equipment. I read the mouthpiece chart on the Monette site and theorized about what I wanted to change. I tried a bunch of non-Monette pieces at the local music store to get an idea of what I might like in terms of diameter and depth. I decided to look out for a B4S S2. When one came up, I bought it and it worked well. I’ve since tried others in the #4 range with mostly good results and what didn’t work I didn’t keep.

Unfortunately, there’s no easy path as far as I can tell. It’s easier to just practice trumpet better.

DH wrote:
You can always do it the way I did. Bought a used B2 and C2. Didn't really like them and put them aside. Forward a couple of years. Played on a C12 and it was really nice with my horn. Bought a used B12D and C12. the D was too deep so I bought a B12. Shortly after the S cups came out. Got a used B12S3 and a C12S3. Played them for several years. As I got older I wanted something a little smaller. Talked to Monette shop several times. Decided to try the B2 but the B2S3 this time. Had a hard time finding one used. Eventually found a B2S3 Resonance and the rim didn't match my B2 at all. Looked for used B3/C3 and found used B3S3 and C3S3 Prana. Shelled out more bucks. The B I might have gotten used to, but the C didn't work at all on my C trumpet.

Since the B12S3 and C12S3 worked OK, I thought I'd try the new resonance models. Never could find used ones.

Now all this time I was looking for ones to try. Most dealers called it a "custom" order if they didn't have it in stock. That means no trial period.

I'm now retired, so I didn't want to spend even more the B12S3 and C12S3 Resonance models so I knew when to fold them and then quit Monette. Probably a couple of grand tied up in used mouthpieces that didn't work. Back to my Bach 1.5B

The guy I talked to several times at Monette said they are aware of the problem of trying these and did suggest a few dealers that might offer a trial. But since they didn't have the models I wanted in stock, it became a custom order and non-returnable.

So as others mentioned the only way is to find a friend that has one or find a store you can go to that has IN STOCK the models you are interested in.

jerry Dibble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Another Path Reply with quote

You might try buying Classic STC's used, here or elsewhere, then moving up to a Prana or Resonance when you find the one that works best for you. (I'm posting several used ones for sale in the Marketplace soon, but you can also buy pieces used from Mike Thompson, Dillon, or Music Supply Direct.) The same resources are available to resell the pieces when you are ready to move on. Obviously, you you lose some money in the process, but the depreciation is far less than it would be if you bought the pieces the pieces new.
For my part, I've settled in with a Resonance Prana B6LDS1, which I like a lot. Only took five years to get to this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: