• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music School Adventures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Music School Adventures Reply with quote

The last topic got me remembering some fun factoids about music schools.

We had to take two years of piano along with the applied trumpet lessons. My piano teacher was married to a Doctor but seemed to get very frisky during my lessons. She was also banging another piano professor. Her professor friend must have known about this so when I walked into a piano final he was judging he started screaming at me.

Hold your head up! What are you sulking about? Stand up straight. He kept stoping me on my Bach Two Part Invention. My teacher taught me to always start it up on the pickup sixteenth notes. As I started up that way she just beamed and he got more annoyed.

My girl firend who I later married (50 years this year) was also a trumpet major. Girls did not play trumpet!!!! Even though she sat first chair at the Ohio All-State Band, guys who sat under her received scholarships to our Music School. So to get better grades in trumpet she wore shorter skirts. That worked but they still relegated her to concert band and not symphonic band.

My then girlfriend had the same piano professor for her final. He grabed her hands and started trimming her nails untill they bled. Her parents went to the Dean and the piano professor got fired.

Another fun factoid: The janitor was deaf and could not speak. He would make hand jestures illustrating how he caught the teachers banging each other. I loved that guy!!

Later, I became an adjunct professor at the same school that nasty bully piano teacher had previously worked. I took the brass name plate off his door and placed it under a mat in our horse barn so he could get watered every day. I can be petty!

I am lucky I am a white heterosexual male regarding the inequities of life. Yes there are many great people in the music business. But those loser wan-a-bees can be a real drag. My wife just went with the flow back then and gave up playing her trumpet.

The challenges I faced made me stronger and maybe a little meaner than your average bear.
Cheers,

Gordon Stump
Trumpet Stand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: