• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Choosing a Cornet Mouthpiece Based on Trumpet Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a longtime Bach 3C player, I struggle when I try other Bach 3 variants because too many other parameters change at the same time. I did learn long ago that the stock Yamaha "4" rim feels reasonably close to your typical Bach 3C. And with Yamaha when you change other parameters like diameter and cup the rim feels largely the same. Depending on the vintage of your 3C the closest Yamaha will be in the 14 to 16 range. I'm pretty familiar with the Yamaha long shank cornet 11C4, 11B4, 14B4, and switch between them and my Bach 3C with relative ease. For a more authentic cornet sound you might have to venture over to the Yamaha short shank pieces which I've not tried.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevo wrote:
rockford wrote:
Start out with a Bach 3C. Less variables. Go deeper with the same rim if you’re not satisfied after a few months.

+1

Three sentences. Right answer.

I disagree. Unless you want your cornet to sound like a second-rate trumpet, you're wasting money buying a 3C for it.
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang...
Was really hoping I could’ve bought that cornet. It is a great instrument and deserves to be played by a working professional player. Let me know if you have any interest in selling it in the future, please!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also disagree with Dale on the mouthpiece thing. Use whatever piece is the easiest to play. For most, that doesn’t mean a deeper cup. You can get plenty a dark sound on a c cup if you relax and blow very slow hot air. The deep pieces are crutches and encourage overblowing and mask incorrect technique. They’ll also force you to let your chops deep into the cup to play high... a habit that will destroy your abilities on reasonable depth trumpet cups when you go back to them. The smaller tighter stuff requires a more efficient and correct blowing approach, and rewards you with vastly increased endurance and range.

I find for my vintage jazz work, a cornet with a shallower mouthpiece actually is the best choice to get the authentic “hot” classic jazz/traditional jazz sound. I understand that may be sacrilege to you British band guys, but then again, i don’t know anybody doing commercial contract work and gigs playing British brass band music. That’s one reason I’ve never been interested in playing BBB music... I’m too poor to play that for free! Maybe later in life!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
I also disagree with Dale on the mouthpiece thing. Use whatever piece is the easiest to play. For most, that doesn’t mean a deeper cup. You can get plenty a dark sound on a c cup if you relax and blow very slow hot air. The deep pieces are crutches and encourage overblowing and mask incorrect technique. They’ll also force you to let your chops deep into the cup to play high... a habit that will destroy your abilities on reasonable depth trumpet cups when you go back to them. The smaller tighter stuff requires a more efficient and correct blowing approach, and rewards you with vastly increased endurance and range.

I find for my vintage jazz work, a cornet with a shallower mouthpiece actually is the best choice to get the authentic “hot” classic jazz/traditional jazz sound. I understand that may be sacrilege to you British band guys, but then again, i don’t know anybody doing commercial contract work and gigs playing British brass band music. That’s one reason I’ve never been interested in playing BBB music... I’m too poor to play that for free! Maybe later in life!

There is a huge, not to say enormous difference between playing cornet in one’s backyard, or in New Orleans type music - and in brass bands. As Dale writes, it’s all to easy to sound like a second rate trumpet. Yes I’m familiar with Ruby Braff and so forth and I’m convinced that there are plenty nice sounding cornetists outside the brass band movement. Our OP states he has no particular gigs so he might take just any type of cornet mouthpiece, sufficiently akin to his trumpet mpc; but the point of playing cornet is to play the cornet - otherwise I don’t see the reason doing it (well occupies less space in your luggage travelling around). But as far as I remember he wanted a cornet sound, to play cornet, hence e.g. my recommendations, the Stork Vacchiano pieces should come in handy. Besides that a different “attitude”, yes I know, vague. But listen to good brass band cornetists just to get the idea.
And Bach mpc:s? I played in our brass band some 25 years on a Bach 1 1/4 C
but the times were a’changing so that bright sound was no longer in demand. Not that people complained, I played with a cornetty attitude, but but.
Today I’m very satisfied with my Wick (might have been Stork Vacchiano).
So returning to the original question: wanna sound like a cornetist or a trumpeter?
Oh, I should add that this is not written to downgrade this or that, just to point out the differences that exist from my point of view. I can happily enjoy playing some dixieland on my cornet, however not the way I play it in the brass band. And - I play contracted gigs with the big bands, on trumpet, and contracted concerts with the brass band, on cornet. Honestly not that easy to combine.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 am; edited 2 times in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Dale.

As for myself, I play a Bach 5C ( and sometimes a B or A ) on trumpet so when I went to a cornet for the first time, I stuck with the Bach size and out of the three sizes I purchased I have found that the Bach 5A with its deeper cup gives me the sound I want. The A cup takes a little more work but for me it is worth it. I just found that after playing many different trumpet mps, looking for the right fit ( which turned out to a Bach 5C ) that it made sense to stick with the same rim size for the cornet, and for me it is the correct decision.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
I also disagree with Dale on the mouthpiece thing. Use whatever piece is the easiest to play. For most, that doesn’t mean a deeper cup. You can get plenty a dark sound on a c cup if you relax and blow very slow hot air. The deep pieces are crutches and encourage overblowing and mask incorrect technique...

Well, there are C cups, and then there are C cups - my comment was directed specifically at the Bach 3C. The Bach 3C has about the most shallow C cup that Bach makes. Others, not so bad. I can get a pleasant sound out of my cornets using a Bach 1-1/2C mouthpiece, but the 3C is just too shallow.

Deep pieces aren't crutches if you know how to play them. They take a stronger embouchure to avoid lip protrusion when playing high. I'd counter that playing a small, shallow cup mouthpiece on a cornet is the real crutch. Of course, all is fair in love and jazz...
Craig S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not sound like a second rate trumpet. I found and ordered a used Bach 3 (no letter) to try out first. If it doesn't give me the sound I'm looking for, I'll look into a Stork or Curry, if I can find one in stock. If I still can't find the sound I'm looking for, I'll break down and go with a Wick and just get used to it. Thank you everyone who gave their input. I really appreciate it. It gave me the starting point that I needed!
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever try a Bach 3E on cornet or equivalent? Curious to know what you guys think.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback wrote:
Anyone ever try a Bach 3E on cornet or equivalent? Curious to know what you guys think.

I sometimes use a Schilke 14A4x, which is roughly Bach 3E-ish, on cornet for trad jazz. It adds a good amount of zip to my quite dark Connstellation 38A, without making it sound too trumpety.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Thanks for the reply.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't have a Bach 3E, but when I use my Pickett 3DE cup -- halfway between a D and an E cup -- on my cornet backbore, a lot of the warmth/depth to my sound goes away on the cornet. It's still not a "trumpet" sound per se, but much of what I like and expect from a cornet is not there, or is much more difficult (for me) to reproduce.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback wrote:

I would suggest just get one. You've asked this question in so many different threads and sites. Just get one and then report back.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Student model 4 dw and 4b cornet mouthpiece Reply with quote

As a comeback player, I decided to limit my spending. So I bought four student model cornet mouthpieces (clone of Denis Wick). Have both the student model Dw 4 and 4b mouthpieces. The price of the mouthpieces on ebay are $15.99 dollars with free shipping.

King 603 cornet
Conn 18a cornet
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all & specifically to Richard III: Yes, you're right. I'll just bite the bullet & buy one & let you all know how it works for me. I just thought that you guys out there with vast experience might have tried a mp like that so sorry to ask across different posts. In addition, I'll take a look at the other mouthpieces on the Comparator, to see how different they may be compared to the 3E. Thanks.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback wrote:
To all & specifically to Richard III: Yes, you're right. I'll just bite the bullet & buy one & let you all know how it works for me. I just thought that you guys out there with vast experience might have tried a mp like that so sorry to ask across different posts. In addition, I'll take a look at the other mouthpieces on the Comparator, to see how different they may be compared to the 3E. Thanks.

I can't speak for Richard, but when someone posts a few times about the same curiosity, the odds are they'll buy it and try it anyway (regardless of any advice).

This might be you - in which case, you don't need the permission of anyone here to give it a go and see if it works for you (and if you like it).

At the same time...

I would, personally, be wary of going to the extremes without having a very good idea of what you're doing and why.

The golden rules of trying mouthpieces, for me and in order, are:
1) Make sure you're in practice first - if you're not in practice, you're not analysing from the most consistent playing position you can be in, that's not a recipe for good analysis.

2) Be aware of the goal:
2a) If you know your ballpark already then you're looking to optimise the compromise (ALL mouthpieces are a compromise!), be methodical and accept that more data points means better chances of homing in on better compromises (and more data points means more mouthpieces which means more expenditure)...
2b) If you're looking at broader experimentation then the first thing to understand is you're playing with shots in the dark, and that means high probability of inadequate compromises (ie: wasted money)... There's nothing wrong with this, as long as you're aware of it and understand that it's not going to be quick or cheap.

3) Regardless of whether you're following path 2a or 2b, still try to be as methodical as possible - figure out what rim sizes (ID), shapes (round/square, width meaning OD-ID, highpoint position) and broadly what cup shapes ("alpha angle" or the transition from rim to cup) work for you, that'll trim down an awful lot of candidates... And all of this is much easier said than done

Now... If you want an opinion on this 3E idea, answer me a few questions and I'll gladly tell you whether it's an experiment I would consider worthwhile in your position.
1) What do you use now (on cornet and/or trumpet)?
2) What do you like and dislike about it?
3) What have you used in the past and why do you not anymore?
3) What sound are you after?
4) What kind of playing are you planning to use it for? In what make/model of cornet?

To be upfront about experience...
I've been through literally hundreds of mouthpieces, mostly secondhand and mostly sold again - I've spent literally thousands over the course of the past decade on working out what does and doesn't work for me... Starting out with random, uninformed experimentation moving into a more methodical and analytical phase when I realised trial and error wasn't going to get me where I wanted (and that I wouldn't be able to recognise it when I found it even if it did!!!).
Unlike many, I DO believe there's merit in finding a good compromise for you (again - ALL mouthpieces are a compromise, NOTHING is magic) - I don't believe in mindlessly following the beaten path just for the sake of it... But through experience, I also believe there's an awful lot of very easy mistakes you can make, some of which I did and many of which I see on a regular basis in discussions on FB, in threads I read on here (and occasionally post in), in discussions in person.
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now... If you want an opinion on this 3E idea, answer me a few questions and I'll gladly tell you whether it's an experiment I would consider worthwhile in your position.
4) What kind of playing are you planning to use it for? In what make/model of cornet?

Hello TKSop.. Thanks for the reply & advice. I'll try & answer your questions.

1. I have a trumpet. Just bought a cornet.

2. Don't dislike anything about either instrument. With the cornet, it's seems easier to play, especially at the top of my range. This even with the Regent m/p that came with in, which is a deep V mp.

3. On the cornet; if possible, darker sound than the trumpet, AND, a dixie land honkey tonk type sound as well. (I realize that can't be done with one mouthpiece).

4. It is a Regent "long cornet" (not a shepherds hook type).

Beyond that & just to get started, looking at 3E for cornet because that's what I use on my trumpet now. To that end, I don't want something drastically different (at this point anyway), because I'm use to the 3E & don't want to throw off my embouchure with say, a traditional deep V cornet mp. I realize that the 3E will be brighter on the cornet, as it is on trumpet.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback wrote:

I did that when you started asking. I found the Warburton SV cup to be pretty close. The Schilke A4A also was similar.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardIII Thanks for your reply. Yes, looked at the Warburn sv's. Very close to 3E. Which particular Schilke "A4A" are you referring to? Have you tried any of these shallower mouthpieces with cornet? Thanks
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback wrote:

Hello TKSop.. Thanks for the reply & advice. I'll try & answer your questions.

1. I have a trumpet. Just bought a cornet.

2. Don't dislike anything about either instrument. With the cornet, it's seems easier to play, especially at the top of my range. This even with the Regent m/p that came with in, which is a deep V mp.

3. On the cornet; if possible, darker sound than the trumpet, AND, a dixie land honkey tonk type sound as well. (I realize that can't be done with one mouthpiece).

4. It is a Regent "long cornet" (not a shepherds hook type).

Beyond that & just to get started, looking at 3E for cornet because that's what I use on my trumpet now. To that end, I don't want something drastically different (at this point anyway), because I'm use to the 3E & don't want to throw off my embouchure with say, a traditional deep V cornet mp. I realize that the 3E will be brighter on the cornet, as it is on trumpet.

Sorry, wasn't clear - questions 1 & 2 were intended to be about mouthpieces.

Ok so the fact you're familiar with that particular piece already says a certain amount - it's quite an extreme design and not one that suits too many people, but if you're able to play it on trumpet then it's not impossible that it'd work for you on cornet too.

Then again...
If it's easier to play on the cornet with a deep V piece, and especially up high, that might suggest that something about your 3E isn't a great fit for you...
The 3E is supposed to aid the high register with it's shallow cup, albeit with a very large backbore that would make it play sharp up high for a lot of players (on Bb horns at least!)... If you can make it work on trumpet, then you might well be able to play it on cornet too, but it won't sound any darker than your trumpet really and that negates the point a bit.

There's no definite reason to say absolutely don't do it... I'm just wary of recommending it on the basis that it's a very extreme/fringe design (wide ID, very high alpha, very shallow cup, very large backbore) that wouldn't suit very many people well at all for general playing - I don't know your playing, for obvious reasons, but that comment about the cornet mouthpiece gives me pause.

How long into your comeback are you?
What sort of playing ability do you have right now?
What other trumpet pieces have you tried? What did and didn't work?

I'm torn between saying "just go for it and see if it works" and suggesting working out whether it's actually a good compromise for you on trumpet before copying across to cornet... Answers to the above might be suggestive in which direction is wise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: